Dealer ruined my transmission!!!!

Originally Posted by Hall
Why isn't this "relearn procedure" built into the software update procedure so it's automatically done ?

It can't "relearn" anything if it's programmed to do so.

I've had 4 new Chrysler 8 speed vehicles. They all shifted "their way" until they learned "my way" of driving after about 100 miles. After that all were perfect.
2014, 2018 RAM 1500 3.6/8 speed.
2019 Dodge Charger SXT 3.6/8 speed.
2020 Jeep Gladiator 3.6/8 speed.

I haven't had any issues with the 8HP autoboxes in my cars, but fortunately, the Carly app does let me reset the transmission adaptations if needed.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Why isn't this "relearn procedure" built into the software update procedure so it's automatically done ?

A couple of posts have suggested that the dealership forgot to do something - reset and relearn, or this "PROXI alignment". That's what I'm referring to... I realize part of "relearning" is actually monitoring the owner's driving habits and is done over a period of time. Thing is, the "default" transmission behavior shouldn't be bad like the OP has said it is.

Originally Posted by oldhp
I've had 4 new Chrysler 8 speed vehicles. They all shifted "their way" until they learned "my way" of driving after about 100 miles. After that all were perfect.

When you select the Drive mode or reverse did you get a bump? like something is slamming in the Gearbox? this is what is happening to me after the update that they did.

A couple of posts have suggested that the dealership forgot to do something - reset and relearn, or this "PROXI alignment". That's what I'm referring to... I realize part of "relearning" is actually monitoring the owner's driving habits and is done over a period of time. Thing is, the "default" transmission behavior shouldn't be bad like the OP has said it is.

Exactly, this is what I'm saying when I bought the car I didn't have any rough shifts or bumps when I change gears, but now even when I'm parking and change to Drive or Reverse I feel a slam (bump) like something inside the gearbox is slamming. I don't think that it's related to the reset thing, because I bought it new with no issues.

Originally Posted by John344
Originally Posted by oldhp

When you select the Drive mode or reverse did you get a bump? like something is slamming in the Gearbox? this is what is happening to me after the update that they did.

Nope. But I do let engine idle down first time start or when ever starting it.

It's the way it is with Clutch to Clutch auto transmissions.....The Clutch Fill Times & Volumes must be learned & no 2 units are exactly the same when new, Much less when the unit has been "ran-in".

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Yeah it needs time to learn.

My Genesis had some rough downshifting a few months ago. I had the dealer reset the computer for it and it took some learning to start to smooth out. Then I had the transmission fluid changed and it's perfect now.

Good idea having the trans fluid changed . So often it's overlooked. Could very well help the OP's vehicle. Thread title is misleading, I was expecting something much worse.

Last edited:
Back