Dealer ruined my transmission!!!!

My 2018 GC was working fine with no issues. The only thing that I hated about it is that sometimes (Rarely) gears 1,2,3 shift roughly at low speeds and this happens from time to time. after almost two years of using it, I have decided to take it to the dealer to fix this issue because I heard that there is an update for the transmission that makes it shift better, and while it's an update I thought nothing to lose. Now after my car sat there for a week, I came to take it home and while I was driving I noticed that new gears rough shifting and the car drivers weird (felt heavier). I parked and while using reverse gear and drive I noticed a huge bump (Jerking) when I select the gear (didn't have this before), and I started to worry, I took back to them and told them about this issue hope they reverse whatever they did or fix this annoying issue.

My car was fine and everything was smooth, but only the rarely rough shifting that happens from time to time, but now it is so annoying and feels wrong.

There is a learning procedure the techs must do from my understanding or it will act weird. Even doing that, it still needs to be driven to relearn your particular patterns.

Yeah it needs time to learn.

My Genesis had some rough downshifting a few months ago. I had the dealer reset the computer for it and it took some learning to start to smooth out. Then I had the transmission fluid changed and it's perfect now.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
There is a learning procedure the techs must do from my understanding or it will act weird. Even doing that, it still needs to be driven to relearn your particular patterns.

but how about the issue that I didn't' have before for example when you shift to Drive or Reverse I get a huge bump. I didn't have this before, and I don't think that it is a part of the learning process?

Trans likely needs a reset and relearn. This behind the V6 or V8? I've never had to do that when I've done an update, but then I've never experienced your initial issues with the 8HP. It probably needed a reset and relearn from the get go and the change of software has just compounded the issue.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Trans likely needs a reset and relearn. This behind the V6 or V8? I've never had to do that when I've done an update, but then I've never experienced your initial issues with the 8HP. It probably needed a reset and relearn from the get go and the change of software has just compounded the issue.

The one I have is the V6, What they said is that they did a transmission update, but whatever they did the is worst than before.

Originally Posted by John344

The one I have is the V6, What they said is that they did a transmission update, but whatever they did the is worst than before.

Yeah, likely because it needed a reset and re-learn and they only updated it. Take it back, tell them what is happening and have them do the reset and re-learn and test drive to confirm it is fixed. It's a very well regarded transmission (the 8HP) so I would be surprised if there's anything actually wrong with the trans other than having its brain scrambled.

Why are you complaining on a website ? Call the dealer they can do something.

Originally Posted by Danno
He's just trying to get some advice.

Call the dealer.is advice.

but how about the issue that I didn't' have before for example when you shift to Drive or Reverse I get a huge bump. I didn't have this before, and I don't think that it is a part of the learning process?

PROXI alignment, that's what it's called according to Allpar. If they don't do it, it can cause the trans to bang into gear, like what you're describing.

Thanks for the share, I didn't know the process actually had a name, it's just something you select under Witech when the vehicle is plugged in, just like doing the update. I've never done the re-learn on mine, as it has never been spelled out as a required step in the errata for any of the updates I've installed for the TCM. For other modules however, a re-learn procedure has indeed been indicated as necessary and the process to do so also noted.

I'm a huge fan of Witech, I think it is one of the best systems and was definitely a step-up from what Ford was doing around the time it was introduced, though I'm not sure what Ford's system looks like at this time.

Yeah, likely because it needed a reset and re-learn and they only updated it. Take it back, tell them what is happening and have them do the reset and re-learn and test drive to confirm it is fixed. It's a very well regarded transmission (the 8HP) so I would be surprised if there's anything actually wrong with the trans other than having its brain scrambled.

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by Danno
He's just trying to get some advice.

Call the dealer.is advice.

It's already in the dealer I took it back the soonest I found out. I hope they understand what they are doing and they do the reset for me.

Excellent, keep us posted
thumbsup2.gif

Why isn't this "relearn procedure" built into the software update procedure so it's automatically done ?

PROXI alignment, that's what it's called according to Allpar. If they don't do it, it can cause the trans to bang into gear, like what you're describing.

Should I tell them about this or they should already know it, I mean I don't want to tell them what they are supposed to do?

Thanks for the share, I didn't know the process actually had a name, it's just something you select under Witech when the vehicle is plugged in, just like doing the update. I've never done the re-learn on mine, as it has never been spelled out as a required step in the errata for any of the updates I've installed for the TCM. For other modules however, a re-learn procedure has indeed been indicated as necessary and the process to do so also noted.

I'm a huge fan of Witech, I think it is one of the best systems and was definitely a step-up from what Ford was doing around the time it was introduced, though I'm not sure what Ford's system looks like at this time.

No problem! I'm not sure if it's required for simple updates or not, but it probably wouldn't hurt.

Never got to play with Witech, but I'm considering buying AlfaOBD.

Originally Posted by CT8
Why are you complaining on a website ? Call the dealer they can do something.

Agree....everybody knows the best way to get your car fixed is with Tweater....
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Hall
Why isn't this "relearn procedure" built into the software update procedure so it's automatically done ?

Because typically it isn't necessary. If it is, it will be spelled out in the documentation attached to the update.

Back