Dealer Repairs - Round 3 - WWYD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have to take my new-to-me Civic back to the dealer for them to make a THIRD attempt to properly perform the repairs that should have been done BEFORE I purchased the car. I won't name them, but they are a Honda dealer and they were supposed to do an alignment, new brake pads and resurface rotors, fix an oil leak, and a few other things. When I drove it off the lot, the repairs were supposedly done. I paid to have it checked by an independent shop, and NOTHING was correct (they showed me everything at this shop). So a few days later, back it went. They said it was miscommunication, and it would be properly repaired. Picked it up after the redo, took it back to the independent shop, paid a second time, and shocker, it's still screwed up (again, confirmed with my own eyes). The alignment was better, but still wrong. It was still leaking oil. The pads were new, but still the old grooved rotors. Now they can't claim an accident, now it's just laziness. All of the repairs are in writing, and they failed to deliver. The service manager truly seems like a nice guy, and seems to want me to be happy, but at the end of the day he's responsible for the techs, and they are obviously clowns. Every time I have to go back, it's a 45 minute commute one-way, so it's getting really old really fast. I'm now beyond the point of being the nice guy and I feel like the dealer should compensate for my time, fuel, inspection fees, and aggravation. I hate playing that card, but I'm fed up.

So my question is this:

What would be reasonable to ask for to compensate for all this aggravation? WWYD?

On top of fixing what they are supposed to, my initial thought is to ask for -
1. The fuel for the loaner vehicle to be paid for.
2. A tank of gas in the Civic to be paid for.
3. For them to install a new set of pads AND rotors (instead of resurfacing, and new pads again because the first new pads have some wear from the old grooved rotors).
4. Refund (aka make the dealer pay for) my inspection fees from the independent shop (not much, they're cheap).

Am I pushing too far? Not hard enough? Am i unaware of them breaking any laws? Some other wild thought? Idk. I'm just aggravated, and am curious how you all would handle it.

Edit: My goal is to have it fixed properly and to never return. I don't want free future oil changes, car washes, or anything of that nature. It's more of a pain than it's worth.

Last edited:
Maybe two things:

1) If you are unable to resurface the rotors (still grooved) then replace them.
2) Your cost to get the vehicle inspected. After the first inspection.

Talk to the overall dealer manager, he should be concerned if mechanics are signing off on work not performed. Are the mechanics getting paid for work they did not do.

Originally Posted by Donald
Maybe two things:

1) If you are unable to resurface the rotors (still grooved) then replace them.
2) Your cost to get the vehicle inspected. After the first inspection.

Talk to the overall dealer manager, he should be concerned if mechanics are signing off on work not performed. Are the mechanics getting paid for work they did not do.
Fair enough, and good point. The service manager has gone out of his way to ensure the same tech has done everything every time. He felt that since he's the one who got paid to do it, he can not get paid to fix it the second (and now third) time. At least I'm assuming he's not being paid to do it again... Either way, thankfully I'm not paying for any of it except for fuel, time, inspections, and wear and tear.

I'm thinking that dealer has a mechanic shortage and what mechanics they have are under trained, inexperienced and don't care since they have the dealer.by the balls. There not going to have the compentent mechanic(s) work on your vehicle as they save those for grade work. Grade work is work done which Honda wants customer feedback which impacts the dealer profit such as warranty work.

Originally Posted by Rudy1999 250
Big fan of Honda products here. Why purchase the car if it needed so much attention ?

The biggest problems were a minor oil leak and front pads and rotors. I don't consider that to be very much attention
21.gif

Rotors are cheap these days; that, plus the upkeep and risk of having a brake lathe make it nearly impossible to find anyone who will turn rotors anymore. They should be replaced. In addition, they should replace the pads again because grooved rotors will wear pads in short order.

Alignments can be tricky depending on the age of the car and condition of suspension, plus it's tough to find a perfectly flat road to gauge how good the alignment is, road crown can cause a pull even on a perfect alignment.

The oil leak should have been easy; use some UV dye, pinpoint the leak, and replace the suspect gasket.

I'd personally tell the dealer you expect them to fix it and reimburse you the cost of two extra trips, if not you will contact the state AG with the invoiced proof of what they were supposed to do and the copies of the indie's inspection that showed it wasn't done. Deceptive business practices at best, fraud is a better description. That should get their attention.

Why don't you get the independent shop to make the repairs and send the bill to the Honda dealer? You've spent a good bit of your time running back and forth....

Also, there's no such thing as a minor oil leak. It's leaking from a seal or gasket. Well, maybe if it's a 4 cylinder and the valve cover gasket it leaking, but is that it?

If it's a seal, you are looking at some serious labor time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Rotors are cheap these days; that, plus the upkeep and risk of having a brake lathe make it nearly impossible to find anyone who will turn rotors anymore. They should be replaced. In addition, they should replace the pads again because grooved rotors will wear pads in short order. [My thoughts exactly]

Alignments can be tricky depending on the age of the car and condition of suspension, plus it's tough to find a perfectly flat road to gauge how good the alignment is, road crown can cause a pull even on a perfect alignment. [The shop says it's off per a professional high-end alignment machine, not by driving. It's not a small shop.]

The oil leak should have been easy; use some UV dye, pinpoint the leak, and replace the suspect gasket. [It's the pan gasket, but it's not a typical gasket, it appears to be an RTV sealant type of gasket.]

I'd personally tell the dealer you expect them to fix it and reimburse you the cost of two extra trips, if not you will contact the state AG with the invoiced proof of what they were supposed to do and the copies of the indie's inspection that showed it wasn't done. Deceptive business practices at best, fraud is a better description. That should get their attention.[So basically... my head is in the right place. Gotcha]

Originally Posted by thooks
Why don't you get the independent shop to make the repairs and send the bill to the Honda dealer? You've spent a good bit of your time running back and forth.... [That's what I'm going to threaten if they can't get it done this time. Three strikes you're out.]

Also, there's no such thing as a minor oil leak. It's leaking from a seal or gasket. Well, maybe if it's a 4 cylinder and the valve cover gasket it leaking, but is that it? [Yes, 4 cylinder, but it's the pan gasket, RTV sealant type. I'd call it minor]

If it's a seal, you are looking at some serious labor time.

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
Personally, I would just fix the problems and never go back to that dealer. Not worth the drama and headaches.
That's exactly the plan, but I feel like I deserve something for all the time and headache.

If they don't fix it right the next time, you can take them to small claims court.

I filed a claim against a tire shop back in the late 90's over a bolt on hubcap that they admitted to damaging because the technician pried it off. They wanted to replace it with a used hubcap which was fine, but it did not come close to looking like the original because it was for a different model year car. GM dealer wanted $55 for a new one, but the tire shop said that was too high. They left me no choice, but to go to small claims court.

After the owner of the tire shop got served the papers, he called me, and said to come down to the shop, and he would settle this matter with cash. I took his first offer of $400, and did not show up in court.

Originally Posted by tony1679
Originally Posted by Rudy1999 250
Big fan of Honda products here. Why purchase the car if it needed so much attention ?

The biggest problems were a minor oil leak and front pads and rotors. I don't consider that to be very much attention
21.gif

If can needed so much work I would have avoided buying that Civic.

Lots of mechanics don't care and Lots of time cut corners....

Originally Posted by JLTD
Return it. Cancel the sale. Mention "breach of contract". Speak with the owner of the dealership.

This, that will get them moving fast to actually fix your car.

...to properly perform the repairs that should have been done BEFORE I purchased the car.

How was this communicated ?

On top of fixing what they are supposed to, my initial thought is to ask for -
1. The fuel for the loaner vehicle to be paid for.
2. A tank of gas in the Civic to be paid for.
3. For them to install a new set of pads AND rotors (instead of resurfacing, and new pads again because the first new pads have some wear from the old grooved rotors).
4. Refund (aka make the dealer pay for) my inspection fees from the independent shop (not much, they're cheap).
Petty. New pads are a ridiculous request, there is nothing wrong with them.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
...to properly perform the repairs that should have been done BEFORE I purchased the car.

How was this communicated ?

I was wondering why this hadn't been asked or discussed yet!

It also seems as if the OP had the pre-purchase inspection performed AFTER purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back