Dealer put non-synthetic oil - should I complain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a newbie to this forum (came over from vwvortex.com). I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic oil 0w-40 in my 2002 Passat with 18.5k miles. When I came to my VW dealer last I asked for an alignment and I got an alignment and an oil change. I didn't ask for an oil change and I usually provide my dealer with the Mobil 1 oil. The dealer called prior to me picking up the car and tried to convince my wife to get an oil change. When I was at the dealer they told me they made a mistake and changed the oil already. They didn't charge me for it. I'd like to know if there is any problem running the regular oil when I was running synthetic before? I'd like to keep using synthetics in the future and I usually change my oil every 5000 miles.
Thanks for the info,
Dani

"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth".

Assuming they used the correct grade, than just do your next change at 3-4kmi and enjoy that amount of free miles.

quote:

Originally posted by Dani:
I'm a newbie to this forum (came over from vwvortex.com). I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic oil 0w-40 in my 2002 Passat with 18.5k miles. When I came to my VW dealer last I asked for an alignment and I got an alignment and an oil change. I didn't ask for an oil change and I usually provide my dealer with the Mobil 1 oil. The dealer called prior to me picking up the car and tried to convince my wife to get an oil change. When I was at the dealer they told me they made a mistake and changed the oil already. They didn't charge me for it. I'd like to know if there is any problem running the regular oil when I was running synthetic before? I'd like to keep using synthetics in the future and I usually change my oil every 5000 miles.
Thanks for the info,
Dani

It depends on you. If the car is on lease and you're returning it...who cares what's in there for a couple thou miles. If you're keeping the car and it seems like you care since you bring in your own M-1 0-40....find out what oil they put in...if it was cheapo out-of-the-barrel conv. 5-30, I'd get it out asap...and move on.

This has happened to me with my Olds van. I took it in to the dealer for other work and received a complimentary oil change. All I had to do was start it up and I knew they'd changed the oil because Mobil 1 does a better job of quieting the 3.4's notorious piston slap and wrist pin tick.

I did complain. I told them I use Mobil 1 and from now on my oil is not to be changed unless I authorize it. And I made them pay for 5 quarts of Mobil 1 and put that in.

If I were you, I'd do the same thing with your dealer. Tell them the oil change was unauthorized work performed by them and you want the "problem" they've caused corrected. Make them pay for Mobil 1 and put it in. If they refuse, tell them you'll take your car elsewhere for service from now on.

I always used to worry that a dealer was going to do this to me, thinking they are doing me a favor.

But I don't worry as much now that I have the Fram Sure Drain on there, since the mechanic would take one look at it and would not easily be able to figure out how to drain the oil.

Same thing happened to me with my '96 Ford Contour and the Ford dealer. Changed the oil myself with Mobil 1 and the next day took it to the dealer for some other work and they changed and charged me for an oil change. I know they changed it because it was now well over the full line
mad.gif
. I told them that I didn't request an oil change and I want them to put Mobil 1 back in! They did it and gave me the 1/2 quart of Mobil 1 that was left over. I marked the filter beforehand so I could be sure they did change the oil. And this time it was just at the full line
wink.gif
. Also, I didn't pay them for their cock-up.

Whimsey

My favorite now is the special additives that the dealers add in at the time of my oil change to "supplement" the oil. I've had to learn to tell to NOT put in anything other than the oil. I understand the motives for extra profit but this is ridiculous.

[ May 08, 2003, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: 68redlines73 ]

While we're on stupid things mechanics do....mine add a 1. cheapo fuel injector cleaner at tune-up time and the car runs like crap for the tankfull...and 2. hook the batteries up to a 'refresher/recharger unit'...claims to completely drain and re-charge the batteries to full capacity...(supposedly something the alternator can't do)....well, sure enough a couple weeks later...I needed new batteries...and an alternator.

Let's say I go to a dealer for an oil change to keep up with warranty issues. If I bring in my own oil, how do I know that the oil I brought is really what's inside the car. I'm polling guys who have brought their own oil to the dealer for an oil change. How did you make sure that you own oil is what's inside that sump? Thanks.
smile.gif

Davefr pretty much stated what I was going to state.

I had a similar situation at the GM dealership. They had to replace the oil cooler line fitting and stripped the threads to the point that I had a 1/2 qt leak per day, AFTER the unit came out of the shop.

In addition, they changed oil to dino (had been running Mobil1 SS 10W30 in the V8 350). They attempted to charge me and I said no, I did NOT authorize the oil change. They sent me a check a few days later for the oil change!

I was still upset that they had done this without prior authorization, but then stepped back and decided this free oil change would simply help to clean the engine. I added an engine cleaner and drained the dino at 2k.

Somewhat similar situation happened to me with my Honda Civic, at a dealership which usually provides excellent service.

I change the oil at almost exact 7,500 mile intervals...7,500, 15,000, 22,500, etc. Anyway, I had the car in to have the dealer change the brake fluid and coolant which is a service recommended in the owner's manual, and to install 4 tires that I provided (from Tire Rack).

When I go to pay, I see they charged be for an oil change. I had given the Service Manager the instructions in writing, so there was no way they could blame me for incorrectly communicating. The Service Manager calls in the Technician. He said that because the coolant change and brake fluid change are normally done with an oil change at that service interval, he was used to doing them together and just didnt read the order that carefully. He also added that the window sticker indicated the last oil change was 4,500 miles ago, so it was needed anyway.

The Service Manager charged the oil change to "Advertising" and told me that I should be happy that I got a free oil change. I told her that I change my oil on 7,500 mile intervals, and the oil would get changed the same time whether they changed it or not, so they had not really given me anything except the distatefullness of having to deal with an incorrect bill. Like I said, this dealership is usually excellent. I have made it my standard practice since then to always give instructions in writing.

[ May 08, 2003, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: CJH ]

I change my own oil, but after the mishap at the Olds dealer, I took steps with both my vehicles to (hopefully) prevent some boob from putting non-Mobil 1 oil in my cars. I ordered a Corvette oil cap for my Olds van, which has Mobil 1 "factory fill" on it. And for my Chrysler 300M I ordered a Dodge Viper oil cap, which also has Mobil 1 "factory fill" on it.

-

-

-

G-Man--
good idea, but the first thing the wrench does is run it up on the lift, and pull the drain plug. (Yes, some experience with that).

Better make sure to have the service writer note instructions on the worksheet.

quote:

Originally posted by **** in Falls Church:
G-Man--
good idea, but the first thing the wrench does is run it up on the lift, and pull the drain plug. (Yes, some experience with that).

Better make sure to have the service writer note instructions on the worksheet.

Well, at least with the cap on there, when he goes to put oil in it, maybe it will make him stop.

But to be fair, this only happened once, and I'd planned to put the Mobil 1 caps on there anyway. But I do make sure if I have to take it in for service, I tell the service writer to put "NO OIL CHANGE" on the ticket.

Wow! This board is active. :cool:
OK, I think you convinced me that I should call the dealer and complain to get my Mobil 1 oil back into the car. I do care. It is a Passat with the 1.8T engine and I think we I start it in the morning it is a little less tractor-sounding than it was today. I am moving in a month to another state, so I won't have to deal with this dealer any more...and am not sure it's worth it.
I'll call tomorrow and demand to talk to the service manager. Thanks for the advice!
Dani

Well, since you're moving... I would says run the oil for as long as it takes you to set-up in your new home, then drop the oil as soon as you can and formaly introduce yourself to your oil plug and filter
smile.gif
.. then you know it's done correctly.
Jean
cheers.gif

I wouldn't want to run dino oil in a turbo engine (you didn't specify). If the oil was due to be changed at 20K, I'd run the dino until then if the engine is non-turbo, such as a 3.0L. Then do the scheduled oil change with 0W40. If you had recently changed the 0W40, then I'd complain to the dealer. In any case, I'd let them know you weren't happy about their mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back