Dealer put Dexron III in T-IV transmission...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had my ATF done today part of my 100,000 mile service. '04 Camry with U241E tranny.

Invoice said Texamatic 1888 had been used.

I googled it when I got home and got
http://www.caltex.com.au/FPL PDS/Texamatic 1888.pdf

Which specifically says it is a D-III product and not suitable for late model aisian transmissions.

Should I panic now or let it go 50,000 miles?

I'd call the mechanic who did this and ask him how he came up with this fluid and see what his source was. Typically, they use what's spec'd.

As an FYI, your '04 isn't really a late model, so in that ambiguous regard, you're OK.

I was wrong!ask them to change the oil .and make sure to know the manufacturing date of the oil in question.just because it is the proper oil doesn't mean its shelf life is

Last edited:
I would go back and make them change it. When the dealer put 10W-40 in my wife's Outlander that requires 5W-30, I called the service manager and he apologized and sent someone to pick up the car, take it in, change the oil again, and deliver it.

Never assume that the "mechanic" knows as much as he should, or as much as the shop or dealer thinks he does.

Originally Posted By: widman
I would go back and make them change it. When the dealer put 10W-40 in my wife's Outlander that requires 5W-30, I called the service manager and he apologized and sent someone to pick up the car, take it in, change the oil again, and deliver it.

Never assume that the "mechanic" knows as much as he should, or as much as the shop or dealer thinks he does.

Unless you saw them change that oil, it was likely sent back to you with the same oil and a new door sticker or invoice..

I doubt it makes a big difference, but since some things may be tuned to the newer fluids viscosity characteristics, it is prudent to get it swapped and what you paid for.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Unless you saw them change that oil, it was likely sent back to you with the same oil and a new door sticker or invoice..

Really ?! I know that this DOES happen... I just hope it is not as common as some would like to believe...

BurrWinder

I would go back and start asking questions. If they didn't give me a good answer I would demand that they put in the fluid specified by the manufacturer.

Not saying this is the case, but I have worked at dealers that use one generic part number for invoicing when it comes to different fluids. If it is bulk fluid, it may be ATF or whatnot regardless of what is actually being used.

If it was at a Toyota dealer, chances are better than not that they are going to use the proper fluids.

Simply pick up the phone and give them a call.

Last edited:
Burrwinder-I went to auto school 45 years ago-learned a bit and have done most of my own maint since. I have run into many cases of attempted flimflam-mostly tried on friends/relatives. I was often able to assist in stopping such. I have a former dealer mechanic pal that teaches the OEM dealer mechs now and his experience and comment about dealer service managers is 'why use the truth when a perfectly good lie is available' !!

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Did your mechanic also use a friction modifier(FM) with the DexIII?

I hope he didn't. Conversion fluids are not good for long term transmission life.

I too would take it back and have them install the fluid speced for the vehicle, which is what you paid them for.

Last edited:
Hold them to what they invoiced you for.

That is a T-IV (3309) box. The older A series takes Dex III.

They put the wrong fluid in. Dexron is not good for a 3309/T-IV box.

Like others have said, take it back ASAP and make them put the right fluid in.

Ask for proof that they exchanged in the correct fluid. Some less reputable places will just pull it into a spare bay for an hour and tell you they did it. Or tell you the invoice is wrong.

A good shop realizing what they did will apologize their butts off and immediately make it right.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

I doubt that, as they know I analyze oil. And I supply it to them in drums. Also, the noise that started with the oil change to 10W-40 went away after then new change.

I spoke with the service department. They will exchange fluid for T-IV at no charge in a couple of weeks time. When the car is in to have the valve cover seal replaced.

They said it doesn't really matter that it's a DIII used but they will replace to do things by the book.

I thin Toyota made a big fuss about T-IV and it's weird that DIII is now OK. It's out of warranty so maybe longevity concerns just aren't there for them. I would however like to use this car for a long time to come.

Unfortunately there's not much I can do about verification that it would have been changed. I need to drop the car off and get back to work.

@crinkles:

I have not seen where Toyota approved of Dex III in place of
T-IV fluid. If your owner's manual says T-IV. it should be refilled with T-IV, and only a fluid where the manufacturer clearly indicates in writing that it meets that spec. Nothing less will do.

As far as confirmation ,the most important thing is to get them
to state on the new R/O that they replaced previous incorrect fill they installed with the correct T-IV fluid. Keep a copy of that R/O!

Originally Posted By: crinkles
I spoke with the service department. They will exchange fluid for T-IV at no charge in a couple of weeks time. When the car is in to have the valve cover seal replaced.

They said it doesn't really matter that it's a DIII used but they will replace to do things by the book. . . .

I wouldn't even wait that long. Ten years ago when owners more regularly made this mistake, the 3309 boxes in the Volvos would self destruct pretty quickly.

With that kind of a self-effacing response from them, I'd also be looking for a new shop.

What type of transmission fluid does the Owner's Manual say to use?

Obligatory:
toyota-dealer-fire-china.jpg

LOL @ that photo.

Actually this dealer has been pretty good. I think it was a *doh* moment and they just don't like admitting that. The V6 camry of the same year still takes DIII. So it may just be an honest mistake.

Owners Manual and dipstick says T-IV for the 4 cylinder. DIII for the 6 cylinder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back