Dealer put Dexron III in T-IV transmission...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BurrWinder
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: widman
I would go back and make them change it. When the dealer put 10W-40 in my wife's Outlander that requires 5W-30, I called the service manager and he apologized and sent someone to pick up the car, take it in, change the oil again, and deliver it.

Never assume that the "mechanic" knows as much as he should, or as much as the shop or dealer thinks he does.

Unless you saw them change that oil, it was likely sent back to you with the same oil and a new door sticker or invoice..

Really ?! I know that this DOES happen... I just hope it is not as common as some would like to believe...

BurrWinder

It wouldn't surprise me if it's more common than we think.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
I spoke with the service department. They will exchange fluid for T-IV at no charge in a couple of weeks time. When the car is in to have the valve cover seal replaced.

They said it doesn't really matter that it's a DIII used but they will replace to do things by the book.

I thin Toyota made a big fuss about T-IV and it's weird that DIII is now OK. It's out of warranty so maybe longevity concerns just aren't there for them. I would however like to use this car for a long time to come.

Unfortunately there's not much I can do about verification that it would have been changed. I need to drop the car off and get back to work.

I wonder if both specs are listed in universal aft specs. If that's the case I don't see why it would matter.

A local Jiffy lube place said this stuff will work in my Jeep too which is spec'd for ATF+4. Apparently the 2 are very similar? The ATF+4 just has more additives essential for a Chrysler transmission. I see the confusion, but come on guys! Lol.

I am sure this happens much more than we think. Heck I read enough about it on Jeep forums.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
A local Jiffy lube place said this stuff will work in my Jeep too which is spec'd for ATF+4.

Well, if Jiffy Lube says so, then the issue is settled. Type A, Type F, Dexron, Mercon, 3309, goldberg, iceberg . . . it's all the same.

Seriously, 3309 is a very different fluid from Dex III, just as Dex VI is different from both. There's a reason why they are different formulations, and some are not forward-compatible.

A JWS-3309 box generally doesn't do well on a Dexron fluid. The former demands a highly friction-modified fluid, which the latter is NOT.

Conversely, most Dex III and earlier units don't have issues running on a 3309 fluid, as they are relatively unaffected by the level of friction modification. So what some universal fluids are doing is formulating to the later standards, so some may work in a 3309 application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back