Dealer Prices for service I had done.

Have an oil change and front/rear diff fluid change this weekend on a Subaru. $65 for oil & filter, vacuum floor and car wash, $180 for both diffs. Seems pretty reasonable to me. I'd rather do myself, but currently lack the time and space. I've had good luck with this dealership.

not bad for dealer but you could throw some supertech in the diffs for although I dont know if the new ones are still square or torx now(or even allen) why do they change that stuff?

Eh, not too bad but most new cars and trucks have diffs that don't need or even can't have the cover removed so you just pull the plug to drain and refill and you can buy those Valvoline capri suns at Walmart and get to squeezin if you want convenience.

Lacking space is an issue, usually I find I can do it quicker at home but if you don't have space not much you can do. Pricing seems very reasonable and if you've had previous good experience with the dealer then why not use them?

Have an oil change and front/rear diff fluid change this weekend on a Subaru. $65 for oil & filter, vacuum floor and car wash, $180 for both diffs. Seems pretty reasonable to me. I'd rather do myself, but currently lack the time and space. I've had good luck with this dealership.
The oil change of $65 is what I remember my father paying on his Legacy. His dealer often sent mail coupons to save on future oil/filter changes.The diff service seems reasonable too.

Did you check to see if there was any evidence on the vehicle that the service was actually performed?
Yeah, I checked CVT drain and fill last year. Pan was cleaned and drain bolt had surface marks. So did fill area. Same giant dealer's Toyota shop you could tell they touched my fender liner for the to CVT drain and fill the way it has a little oily greasy hands look to it.

not bad for dealer but you could throw some supertech in the diffs for although I dont know if the new ones are still square or torx now(or even allen) why do they change that stuff?
Unless something has changed, the front used a large torx (maybe t70?) and is typically so tight you need a quality bit and a long handled ratchet or breaker bar. I didn’t appreciate investing in that snap on torx $$$ but lisle and any other ones kept breaking.

The diff service is WAY too pricey. Easier than an oil change. My Subaru dealer put in garbage rear diff juice and i had to drain a month later. Heard the rear diff howling on a highway trip. It was Mobil 80w90HD junk.
Put in supertech 75w90 synthetic and all was well.

Back