Dealer OC, believe the invoice or service writer?

It's interesting that with BITOG's general distrust of thinner oil some think it's ok to run out of spec oil in a new truck that does lots of towing. Maybe because it's my truck not theirs?
Solution (and what I do): Don't post what you use nor ask what to use. It's your car, your decision, no one else's.

I worked in parts, someone probably keyed in the wrong package, or the package has the wrong oil listed. They don't key it all by hand to save time. Sometimes a package doesn't exist and you just use something close. The techs read the cap and used that out of bulk tank, at least where I worked. Parts gives them a filter, and a drain plug washer if applicable. 95% of the time the work order doesn't even go with it out of parts.

If you think your dealer just puts one weight in everything avoid that dealer. Most won't because warranty investigations would catch up eventually.

I just had a free oil change at the dealer on the '21 Sierra. I scanned the invoice and noticed it said oil used 0W-20 Dexos 1 Gen 2. The truck specifies 5W-30. I turned the paper around and asked the service writer if this was the oil put in my truck, he said if that's what the invoice says then that's what was used, why? I said the truck calls for 5W-30. Another older service writer heard me and came over and said the techs put in whatever is on the oil cap and just input whatever oil was last used and comes up in the field on the form. If true that seems like lazy shoddy practice that would lead to inaccurate inventory.

So who do I believe? I'm tempted to pull an oil sample and have it analyzed. Not afraid of 0W-20 hurting anything short term but I don't think I want it in for a full OCI with some towing.

This is EXACTLY why I do this stuff myself. :mad:
Thats why, thats why we change our own oil...

When an error causes you motor to blow up-this situation wont.
But when it blows up later due to some unrelated issue - slim chance though that might be - the incorrect oil on a receipt might be cause for the manufacturer to wiggle out of the warranty.

But when it blows up later due to some unrelated issue - slim chance though that might be - the incorrect oil on a receipt might be cause for the manufacturer to wiggle out of the warranty.
Yep-your odds are better buying a LOTTO ticket than your motor blowing up.

Parts or the service advisor probably billed out what they thought the truck took without ever speaking to the lube tech. The lube tech grabbed a filter off of their oil filter shelf and pumped oil from the overhead hose for the bulk tank.

My guess is that access to bulk oil and a cabinet full of filters is probably there for the quick lube guys without them having to bill them out through the parts department. That’s how many of the 15 minute fast lubes are set up.

Reason #435,491 why we do our own OC's... and every other preventive maintenance item we can successfully perform, having the right tools and watching a few YT clips first.

Unless it's for warranty work, visiting the stealership is always more trouble than it's worth. And even then...not pleasant.

Unless it's for warranty work, visiting the stealership is always more trouble than it's worth. And even then...not pleasant.
A friend just took his brand-new RAV-4 to the dealer for its first oil change. They ran it through the wash rack for a complimentary wash and he got it back covered with swirls. Apparently he raised enough stink they paid for him to take it to a shop for a full paint correction.

A friend just took his brand-new RAV-4 to the dealer for its first oil change. They ran it through the wash rack for a complimentary wash and he got it back covered with swirls. Apparently he raised enough stink they paid for him to take it to a shop for a full paint correction.
It will never be the same. They will burn the clear coat right off.

Cars get definitely be polished safely. But every time a vehicle is polished, you do reduce the quantity of UV inhibitors in the clear coat so the theoretical life of the paint is reduced.

When I took the truck in I told the writer I did not want it washed. He said no problem because they don't have a car wash. Good. It did have 3 or 4 greasy smudges on it.

Lots of probably this or that here but who do you believe, the writer who told me it has whatever the paper says or the one who came over and contradicted him? And for me that brings up the question what else are they less than accurate about?

260 miles of towing yesterday and the truck is happy as a butcher's dog.

Parts or the service advisor probably billed out what they thought the truck took without ever speaking to the lube tech. The lube tech grabbed a filter off of their oil filter shelf and pumped oil from the overhead hose for the bulk tank.

My guess is that access to bulk oil and a cabinet full of filters is probably there for the quick lube guys without them having to bill them out through the parts department. That’s how many of the 15 minute fast lubes are set up.
When gave out the filters because some of them are very pricey. If a tech took a wrong filter (it happens, especially on split years) you'd get back an oil mess.

Been there . Now ask them not to wash car after service down . A few still did it . Luckily nothing showed up .

I would believe the guy who put the oil in more but as mentioned above...unless you see it you won't know whom to trust...I have experience getting differing information from the service writer (..."we only use Mobil 1 in those motors...") but they used the Dexos blend that was listed and recommended at the time...

more recently I bought a used car that had the oil changed prior to my purchase and was told it was fine...the invoice read 6 quarts of AC Delco full synthetic 5W30 (the owners manual states it takes 7)...upon checking when I go home I noticed the oil was at the mid closer to bottom of the hashed full mark (checked when cold the next morning) and added a quart to bring it to the top of the hashed full mark...

I get my oil changed usually at a local mechanics shop and bring my own oil and I'm able to see what is put in...the above and some other experiences has me never taking advantage of "free" oil changes from my dealerships...

YMMV of course

Bill
IOW, you overfilled your car. Oil expands when heated...

except it is supposed to have 7 quarts and only 6 were installed...I have had no issues with the correct amount of oil installed which is what the engineers and manufacturers as well as the dealership has spec'd...what a strange first post...

Bill

Back