Dealer mistakenly changed my oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder if they would just throw in a free 5qt Synpower jug for the mistake? That's what my local dealership did....they messed up a work order, and the customer got a free jug and dinner that night...

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
Drive it, if you ever go back there for service for a problem have them write across the Repair Order: DON'T CHANGE OIL, ROTATE TIRES OR ANYTHING ELSE! Just deal with the problem. My bet is they'll still screw it up.
21.gif

AD

The service department at the Chevy dealer that I bought my Silverado from isn't the greatest, but they never do anything that isn't covered by warranty without asking me first.

I give them my cell phone number when I drop it off, and they will always call me if there is any question about something. Nor do they hit me with the "high pressure" tactics of selling other services like fuel injector cleanings, or cooling system flushes, etc...

That right there is enough to keep me going back.

Originally Posted By: deven
Hey we all have made mistakes in one form or another at our jobs and no-one is perfect. As long as they know that its unacceptable and if they do it again, you'll take your business elsewhere. The best way to hurt some is not with your mouth but your wallet. Money is money. Let it go this time and give them the benefit of doubt. If it happens again then you have every right to call the BBB or contacting the local news. I firmly believe in giving someone a second chance. If everyone didnt do this there would be angry people everywhere. Best way to solve this is doing the oil change yourself because when you do it, you know it'll be done right and to boot save some $$.

I did not say go to the BBB, write the auto mfg, go to the papers, etc... JUST because they made that error. I did not say that. I said to do it IF they refused to refill with Synpower. Big difference.

If it were my vehicle this happened on, which would have Royal Purple in the crankcase, and they did an OC using regular conventional oil, the only way it would be made right for me is a refill with RP. Nothing else would be acceptable. Even if RP had conventional oil it would not be acceptable if I was running RP synthetic that they changed on their own. If they refused to do a refill with RP I would take steps to make sure they paid for it so to speak. THAT is what I was talking about.

I agree mistakes happen and you need to give the place a chance to make it right. However, what makes it right for different customers can vary. If I were the OP Synpower would have to be used or it would not be right. Valvoline conventional oil, while great stuff, is not Valvoline Synpower. The OP had Synpower in there and did not request/authorize they change it. Therefor, the only right way to remedy the situation is to put Synpower back in. Period and end of story( for me anyway ).

If they refused then I would take the other steps I mentioned above.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: deven
Hey we all have made mistakes in one form or another at our jobs and no-one is perfect. As long as they know that its unacceptable and if they do it again, you'll take your business elsewhere. The best way to hurt some is not with your mouth but your wallet. Money is money. Let it go this time and give them the benefit of doubt. If it happens again then you have every right to call the BBB or contacting the local news. I firmly believe in giving someone a second chance. If everyone didnt do this there would be angry people everywhere. Best way to solve this is doing the oil change yourself because when you do it, you know it'll be done right and to boot save some $$.

I did not say go to the BBB, write the auto mfg, go to the papers, etc... JUST because they made that error. I did not say that. I said to do it IF they refused to refill with Synpower. Big difference.

If it were my vehicle this happened on, which would have Royal Purple in the crankcase, and they did an OC using regular conventional oil, the only way it would be made right for me is a refill with RP. Nothing else would be acceptable. Even if RP had conventional oil it would not be acceptable if I was running RP synthetic that they changed on their own. If they refused to do a refill with RP I would take steps to make sure they paid for it so to speak. THAT is what I was talking about.

I agree mistakes happen and you need to give the place a chance to make it right. However, what makes it right for different customers can vary. If I were the OP Synpower would have to be used or it would not be right. Valvoline conventional oil, while great stuff, is not Valvoline Synpower. The OP had Synpower in there and did not request/authorize they change it. Therefor, the only right way to remedy the situation is to put Synpower back in. Period and end of story( for me anyway ).

If they refused then I would take the other steps I mentioned above.

I agree with you! I wasnt singling you out but I read what you wrote and just used it as an example. The OP is writing his story after the fact. He has already left the dealership, now if he was still there and he demanded to drain it and fill with syntethic and they said no then yeah I agree with you. The OP did not do that and the dealership waived the cost. The OP, mad as [censored] he might be, didnt ask for them to redo the oil change. Now if he did and they said no, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Here is another dumb mistake a Ford dealer did and my father's friend Tom was not too happy about it.He had a ring job done on his 1989 Ford 150 2wd with a 302 under warranty when it was.The dealer told him that he had to get his oil changed,they dumped the old oil back in and did not last.It puked and had install a Jasper reman that stil runs great.

I would not ask them to replace the SynPower, that's dickish. When it comes time for the next oil change, byo oil and ask them to install it then. It won't cost them anything and EVERYONE will save face.

I wouldn't be as annoyed about the different type of oil as I would about the place NOT properly informing the customer and gaining his concent to perform the service. There are very strict laws about this type of thing now, as their should be. If a business doesn't get your informed consent to perform a service it should not be done. Period. This law benefits both customer and business.

Last edited:
I was on my way to a family vacation in Hilton Head and hit a pothole, ruining the RF tire. I was driving the Club Sport, which does use a bit of oil(1 qt. every 2500-3000 miles or so), so I had checked the oil at every fuel stop AND when I got to Hilton Head. I NEVER needed to add any oil. Fast forward three days-I'm at the Hilton Head Tire Kingdom having my tire replaced. On the way back to the condo the CEL illuminates and I begin to smell burning oil. I pull over, pop the hood, and find that my oil filler cap is missing. I call Tire Kingdom and they treat me like an idiot- "Sir, you need to go back to the shop that changed your oil. We never opened the hood." That's funny; I drove the car from the KY to SC and never smelled any oil or noticed the CEL... Luckily, I found the cap laying on top of the top strut mount. After an hour of scrubbing and a roll of paper towels the engine bay was presentable again. My guess is that some idiot at Tire Kingdom thought the car was in for an oil change and got ready to pull the drain plug when someone yelled "No, Goober! That 'uns jest here to git the tar changed." So, Goober closed the hood without replacing the cap. Morons.

I would run it to at least 4-5k miles. And when you're running Synpower, I would change it according to the normal service interval of 7,500 miles. N/A Subes are very easy on oil. No worries!
11.gif

19.gif

-Dennis

OOHHH. There is very little that ticks me off, but this really pulls my chain. I took my Envoy in once for a tire rotation. It's just easier for them to do it, and it's reasonably cheap. Anyhoo, the dealer took it upon themselves to change my oil also, based on mileage. They drained 1 day old QS full synthetic, and an M1 filter, and put in QS conventional and a QS filter, and tried to charge my lovely spouse for it. I got the call when she picked it up... they got the call while she was standing there. Back up on the rack, and a full M1 with an AC filter was done before she left at no charge. Common sense should have had them call, and seems to me that proper training should have had them check the percentage left on the OLM before messing with it. And they wonder where they got the nick name stealerships....

In quite a number of states it is illegal for a shop to perform ANY service without the owner's written and/or verbal consent under penalty of law, whether it is free or not.

what he had in there probably could have gone another 3k anyway so it would sorta irritate me also. now you have dino oil in there that you can run about 4-5k, so you gained 2k-ish till your next oci. oh well, this isn't really a big deal. i'd just make sure they dont do it again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back