Dealer mistakenly changed my oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2009 Subaru Impreza that has 10100 miles on it right now. I switched to valvoline synpower at 7k miles. I took my car to have a noise looked at, and the dealer took it upon themselves to rotate the tires and do the oil. I never even asked for this! Then they try to charge me for it. I made a big fuss and it was waived.

Question:

Should I leave this oil in my car or drain it right away? It's valvoline conventional oil. My car has only been through 1 synthetic oil change. The previous oil was a factory fill and the first oil change at the dealer.

If the dealer used the proper conventional oil I'd leave it in there for 5k and then change back to the Synthetic. Happy accident that they are both Valvoline products. I would expect this to cause no problems whatsoever.

You already had 3k on the synthetic oil? Not a tragedy. Id be angry if I had just changed the oil, still heard a noise and brought it in right away. Just drive it a while and change back to synthetic at your convenience. Look for the sales in the meantime :)

I dont know about Maryland but here in Massachusetts, they have to put it in writing as to what services YOU want performed and then I have to look it over and sign thus giving my consent that what is written in the work order is what they need to perform. While they perform the services I have signed for and they come across any other problems, they can't perform it without my consent and therfore I have to sign a new order form and only then they can adress that problem. Did you have to sign anything before the service was performed and if yes, was the oil change and tire rotations on the work order? If yes then legally they can charge you for the service.

Drive it, if you ever go back there for service for a problem have them write across the Repair Order: DON'T CHANGE OIL, ROTATE TIRES OR ANYTHING ELSE! Just deal with the problem. My bet is they'll still screw it up.
21.gif

AD

It was already due for an oil change. The dealer that I purchased the car from features Valvoline products. This was the main reason that I chose Valvoline Synpower. I'm just concerned that I will loose a little gas mileage with the conventional oil being inside of the engine.

Change it out in 3000 miles, the cost of the extra gas for those miles might amount to a McDonalds breakfast if you're lucky.
cheers3.gif

If that was me... I would have asked that dump the conventional and put in synthetic which was the fill you had.

I've had something similar happen...

Ask specifically for synthetic oil then when I am presented with the bill I realize they did not fill with synthetic. When brought to their attention they always drained the conventional and filled with synthetic... only charging me for the synthetic and ONE oil change.

Waiving the charge is fine... but I would ask that they at least replace with what you had in there.

Originally Posted By: Paul56
If that was me... I would have asked that dump the conventional and put in synthetic which was the fill you had.

I've had something similar happen...

Ask specifically for synthetic oil then when I am presented with the bill I realize they did not fill with synthetic. When brought to their attention they always drained the conventional and filled with synthetic... only charging me for the synthetic and ONE oil change.

Waiving the charge is fine... but I would ask that they at least replace with what you had in there.

X2 except demand not ask. They took it upon themselves to do work without asking. You had Synpower in there so that is what they need to put back. I would accept no less and if they refused I would start contacting the car mfg to complain, the BBB, the local newspaper, etc... They screwed up so it is up to them to make it right. A conventional OC to replace synthetic is NOT right. JMHO.

Hey we all have made mistakes in one form or another at our jobs and no-one is perfect. As long as they know that its unacceptable and if they do it again, you'll take your business elsewhere. The best way to hurt some is not with your mouth but your wallet. Money is money. Let it go this time and give them the benefit of doubt. If it happens again then you have every right to call the BBB or contacting the local news. I firmly believe in giving someone a second chance. If everyone didnt do this there would be angry people everywhere. Best way to solve this is doing the oil change yourself because when you do it, you know it'll be done right and to boot save some $$.

Originally Posted By: Marukai
I'm just concerned that I will loose a little gas mileage with the conventional oil being inside of the engine.

How much do you anticipate losing?

Originally Posted By: deven
Hey we all have made mistakes in one form or another at our jobs and no-one is perfect. As long as they know that its unacceptable and if they do it again, you'll take your business elsewhere. The best way to hurt some is not with your mouth but your wallet. Money is money. Let it go this time and give them the benefit of doubt. If it happens again then you have every right to call the BBB or contacting the local news. I firmly believe in giving someone a second chance. If everyone didnt do this there would be angry people everywhere. Best way to solve this is doing the oil change yourself because when you do it, you know it'll be done right and to boot save some $$.

Remind me never to let my dealership perform surgery on me!
LOL.gif

Just kidding... You have a very good point and I would abide by the same benefit of the doubt rule.

No issue. You can swap back and forth between Syn and Dino oils all you want. Just run it 3-5,000 miles and change it.

I'd leave it in, it'll be fine. At least they didn't run it through the courtesy paint-beating-swirl-mark-spawning on-site automatic car wash like they did mine after I had it in for a VDC mil light that had illuminated.

Originally Posted By: deven

Agree completely, especially in giving them a second chance. For the vast majority of customers (not us BITOGers) would have appreciated that extra service. Just think about how many cars are on the road right now that need an oil change.

Originally Posted By: css9450
Originally Posted By: Marukai
I'm just concerned that I will loose a little gas mileage with the conventional oil being inside of the engine.

How much do you anticipate losing?
There will be no difference in mpgs

That happened to me once with my wife's car, and it really surprised me since I've got the Fram Sure Drain system on her car, so you'd think the mechanic would've been tripped up by that when he went to drain the old oil.

I was only about 1500 miles into an interval with Syntec 5w30, so it annoyed me that I had that expensive oil drained so soon, but on the plus side the shop put in GTX 5w20, which was the oil I was planning on running after Syntec anyways (and I still run GTX 5w20 in her car to this day)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back