Dealer ever messed up your oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wonder how many members have experienced a dealer messing up on their Oil/Filter change? Did they forget the oil or did you have leaks? Happened to me once on a Lexus at a Lexus dealership, so does that mean I am safe now?
smile.gif
Also if it happened to you what did the dealer do to take care of the problem?

quote:

Originally posted by mrdctaylor:
I had a "5 Star" Chrysler dealership that would only put straight 30 wt oil in vehicles. I had to throw a fit to get them to put 5W or 10W30 in a vehicle.

Straight 30 is a great oil to use. I used to pour Castrol HD-30 into my Ford Bronco 351 v-8 (1981 model year). Later on, in hot Gulf Coast summers, I would even use Castrol HD-30 in small in-line four engines in Japanese cars. Never had a problem with straight 30.

If you look around Gulf Coast neighborhoods, you will meet many old timers who still use monograde 30 in their new, current-year Japanese automobile. They believe in the stuff. And many of them have the millions of driving miles under their belt that their opinion is worth plenty.

I'd take the advice of many of the oil experts on this site over a million average Joe's. The defense, "I/My (insert family member or friend here) has/have used it for years and never had any problem", is flawed logic. Some people have jumped out of planes hundreds of times and never been hurt. Doesn't mean it's totally safe.
wink.gif

-T

I just changed my Dad's oil, and the drain plug was stripped. Dealer was the last place it was changed.

Never have, never will!!

quote:

Originally posted by Pitbull:
Just wonder how many members have experienced a dealer messing up on their Oil/Filter change? Did they forget the oil or did you have leaks? Happened to me once on a Lexus at a Lexus dealership, so does that mean I am safe now?
smile.gif
Also if it happened to you what did the dealer do to take care of the problem?

It doesn't matter if it's a Lexus or BMW dealership, it's people that change the oil. And wherever you go, they put the not-so-bright mechanics in charge of the oil change booth. I will always do it myself.

Well they did not screw up the oil change (I had my own syn-oil) but the fool did screw up the tire inflation. I was driving home and noticed a hard ride on my 1998 Monte Carlo Z34. I checked the tires and there was about 60psi in them when the door sticker called for 30psi. I went back and talked with the oil change guy and asked him about the tire pressure he set mine at. He said that its right there on the tire and he knew nothing about the sticker on the door jamb.
pat.gif

Every joint I hit, felt like a curb..

I've never brought my car to the dealer, but I have seen alot of their screw-ups. They're just as likely to do it as any other place, especially on oil changes. Most problems are overtightening of the plug or filter and overfilling.

-T

I had a "5 Star" Chrysler dealership that would only put straight 30 wt oil in vehicles. I had to throw a fit to get them to put 5W or 10W30 in a vehicle.

quote:

I went back and talked with the oil change guy and asked him about the tire pressure he set mine at. He said that its right there on the tire and he knew nothing

That's the old GM says, Firestone says.......

Do you believe the vehicle or tire manufacturer??

Has this "debate" even been settled?

quote:

Originally posted by turbochem:

You should always go with the vehicle manufacturers recommendation. A particular tire can fit many different vehicles. The pressure on the sidewall only indicates the maximum safe operating pressure.

The vehicle manufacturer takes many things into account for each vehicle when recommending a pressure, such as handling characteristics, optimal tire wear, ride comfort, etc. Every vehicle is different, and the vehicle manufacturer's recommendation should be the one that is followed.

I'm impressed with my Toyota dealer, they did everything right and even etched the date of the oil change on the oil filter (nice touch). The tires had 32 lbs on the nose in each tire (cold) which is what the manufacture calls for. The only change I would like is that I could watch them do the change. I can watch if I walk behind the building (guess that is what I will do) They also do a 20+ point check that covers all of the warranty recommended checks. Seems like a guy that has all of the equipment and does the same work all day would be better at it then someone that didn't. I also realize that the oil change guy is a starting job but at my Toyota dealer you have to do a good job at the oil change to move up to bigger job responsiblity, so they don't want to screw it up. At my old Lexus dealer in Atlanta they would have a machanic do the work and he is the one that forgot to put oil in my car, because he was working on several things at once. I've also talked to several owners who have screwed up their own changes by not getting off the old oil filter gasket, before they installed the new filter or by not tightening the filler plug correctly. I agree that I know that I personally would not make a mistake on my vehicle, I'm just getting lazy in my old age. Plus if this dealer is the only one that touches my vehicle if anything goes wrong they will have to fix it.

quote:

Originally posted by C4Dave:

quote:

Originally posted by turbochem:

You should always go with the vehicle manufacturers recommendation. A particular tire can fit many different vehicles. The pressure on the sidewall only indicates the maximum safe operating pressure.

The vehicle manufacturer takes many things into account for each vehicle when recommending a pressure, such as handling characteristics, optimal tire wear, ride comfort, etc. Every vehicle is different, and the vehicle manufacturer's recommendation should be the one that is followed.

And this will change from tire to tire as well due to varying sidewall stiffness. Then again, probably most of you buy tires where that isn't an issue.

Anyway, back to topic. Pretty much when I learned to properly read a dip stick I started to change the oil myself. So I never noticed anyone elses screw up.

Oh yeah, took my 94 Hardbody 4x4 to the dealer for some diagnostics. They changed the oil, put 5 freaking quarts in where a max of 4 is supposed to go. Thing drove like a slug till I checked the dipstick. Needless to say it will NOT be going back there anytime soon!!

Never a problem with a dealer, but one of the fast lube places put an oil drain back on so tight I had to take it to a garage to get it removed! That was several years ago and I believe that's when I went to doing all maintenence myself.

You should've taken it back to the same oil change place and let them deal with ther drain bolt removal. Then when they tell you it's stripped or the oil pan needs to be replaced, you've got them. Pull out the old receipt and show them that they screwed up, and that you know it was overtightened because you personally couldn't undo the bolt, and that it's their fault.

well...since im a technician, i guess ill give my little tid bit sa well.

the problem does not necessarily stem from idiot's that are employed as 'oil monkeys'. (although they do get in there-ive seen em'!) the problem, the REAL issue is that the dealerships want EVERY LAST **** DIME THEY CAN GET!! I, personally, am SICK OF IT!!! they push, push and push you to get 'waiter' after 'waiter' done to get people in and out and then wrap it all up in a oil change cost of $8 to $15 and a list of "to-do" things such as brake flush, trans flush, butt flush...err.....scratch that last one...only a joke!

but seriously, the push us so hard to move quick that, even the experienced guys screw up once in a while. I can say that I too have actually started an engine w/ out oil and of course, instantly realised it and shut it off. Reason it happened was that I was pushed by now fewer than 3 people (i.e. being yelled at) to hurry up and get this customers car out of the simply because they were a WAITER! Ive also been given the wrong oil filter by parts and, my unfamiliarity w/ the product at the time caused me to not know that the filter was for a new version of this particular car and engine combination. Same car and engine, but the filter mounting is different. So, the filter literally blew off as i drove out the garage. Again, oil left the vehicle but all is well.

The point im making is that, anytime you take your car to ANY place other than your own driveway, you run the risk of the machinations of the various shops and the dire results. Its a simple equation really. Too many people in + not enough techs + restricted time + oil changes dont pay techs SQUAT! = high risk of screw up. Sorry for the bad news to most of you that think dealers are great or something-theyre not. soon as your warranty is over -NEVER GO BACK! use the oil you want also.

That's the strongest case I've seen for doing it yourself or being there while it is done which I can't at the Toyota dealer. I guess I will take it to my neigbors shop where I can stand and watch the work. Since I will have a record of the work being done I am sure the warranty will be intact. How about changing the spark plugs at 30K miles you think the dealer can handle that? I will handle all of the fluid changes at my neighbors shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back