Dealer errantly drained Ravenol DXG at 800 miles!

Little perturbed today. Had my '19 F150 in at the dealer for the seat recliner, cam phaser, and shift shudder recalls, and a tire rotation. Have my '20 Transit Connect scheduled for the windshield recall tomorrow, along with a FordPass Rewards oil change and tire rotation. Go in today to pick up the truck, and I'm like "What do I owe for the tire rotation?" The service guy looks confused and he's like "We did a full service on the truck."

Oh am I mad, I told him I'm not paying for the oil change on the truck since I had just changed with a much more expensive oil and filter, and they messed it up. Oh well, I now have MC 5W30 and a MC filter in it, think it's the blend, and it will only be in there 3k max. He said he'd have to talk to the service manager about the charges on the truck; I've kinda already decided if they charge me for something I didn't ask for it will probably be the last time I use them for warranty or service.

What do you guys think? Give them another chance if they comp the unsolicited oil change, or drop them due to incompetence? I'm a little peeved I lost $60 of oil and a $10 Fram Ultra filter because of a service desk gaffe!

Reactions: JC1
Little perturbed today. Had my '19 F150 in at the dealer for the seat recliner, cam phaser, and shift shudder recalls, and a tire rotation. Have my '20 Transit Connect scheduled for the windshield recall tomorrow, along with a FordPass Rewards oil change and tire rotation. Go in today to pick up the truck, and I'm like "What do I owe for the tire rotation?" The service guy looks confused and he's like "We did a full service on the truck."

Oh am I mad, I told him I'm not paying for the oil change on the truck since I had just changed with a much more expensive oil and filter, and they messed it up. Oh well, I now have MC 5W30 and a MC filter in it, think it's the blend, and it will only be in there 3k max. He said he'd have to talk to the service manager about the charges on the truck; I've kinda already decided if they charge me for something I didn't ask for it will probably be the last time I use them for warranty or service.

What do you guys think? Give them another chance if they comp the unsolicited oil change, or drop them due to incompetence? I'm a little peeved I lost $60 of oil and a $10 Fram Ultra filter because of a service desk gaffe!
They will understand about the oil.
but if you tell them Fram Ultra, they will only hear "fram" and think you used a cheap oil filter that is below what they put in.
They may be wrong but I have given up educating lube guys on the tiers of oil filters.

Last edited:
I'm not focusing on details. I'm going to say, "Your dept performed a service that not only did I not ask for, but I had personally completed less than 800 miles ago. Even with crazy 3k intervals, I lost nearly 70% of the money I spent on the service you duplicated. I'll be happy to take my business elsewhere if you won't make your mistakes right."

Don't pay for the services you didn't ask.
They should give at least one or more free oil change with a "real" synthetic oil. lol

btw, from what I've read, MC is not a bad oil and may also improve your mpg according to some reports?! :unsure:

Last edited:
I paid $38 average for the last time I ordered 3 jugs, high but not insane. Single jugs now with shipping is $60+

cool that's not bad.

I have a feeling you are gonna have a hard time proving one oil is "better" than the other if both oils meet the Ford spec. They may also argue that MC was "designed" or formulated for Ford ...
based on that, I was thinking choose your battles and ask for couple more free oil changes. If you have other cars that you are not as picky about oil, then take those in for free oil change(s).

also do NOT pay for other services you didn't ask for!
as far as dumping the dealer, they are all the same. I sometimes ask them to highlight what I've asked just in case and also double check what they are asked to do or not to do after they stop typing on their computers ....

Last edited:
I don't even really care if he charges me for the TC, as long as I don't get charged for the F150. I'll chalk the oil loss up to a new dealer and me scheduling two cars near each other. I'll also make them put a note on the F150 that they are not to do any services other than recalls. We'll see. Live and learn.

So the stealer's at it again doing things they weren't told to do but did so anyway without asking the customer at least? What's new. i'd've given them hell and told them to return the credit you were intending to use on the transit as you didn't request it on the f150 whatsoever. Reminds me of the time the ford stealer almost screwed me over with my 5.4 f150 just a year after buying it new.

also prepare for saying:
No, they do not sell Ravenol at 7-Eleven.

believe it or not, I had to explain to one dealer (service writer) that M1 EP was better than the syn-crap they put in my car that burned liked crazy!

I would get them to comp the unasked for oil change. Then give them another chance. People screw up.

Some of the best customer/shop relationships, come from a screw up that the shop makes right.

A Toyota dealer in Edmonton did something similar to me. I had recently put synthetic oil in the (manual) transmission and they drained it and put in conventional. The car was there for something else, and I hadn't asked for that so I made them drain it and put in synthetic oil, and take it off the bill. They weren't happy but they did it.

I kept taking it there for service.

I only use Ravenol in my Diffs and Center Diffs (transfer case) on my Toyotas. I'd be very ticked and I'd be asking for a new Toyota Diff oil kit shipped to my house from Blauparts. That is a $200 kit today.

But the only thing I've been to a dealer for in the last ~8+ years is to either buy a vehicle, buy parts or the fuel pump recall on the 2019 Highlander right before we sold it to Carvana.

As long as you're not paying for the full service on the truck....

Are they are expecting for you to pay for the full service, you can tell them to pound sand, as you didn't authorize the work with the service department. Then the service manager will not like the service writer for lost money for parts and the technician will not appreciate the lost money in labor, unless the dealership just pays for the labor and reams out the service writer for the lost labor cost.

I had a technician at an independent shop pull the wrong plug and drain the wrong fluid. I got a free Haldex fluid change when I was supposed to be paying for the rear axle gear oil change with the service. I'm pretty sure the owner (whom I had a friendly relationship with, because we used to talk about Toyotas when his shop specialized in VW's), wasn't pleased and had a word with the technician afterwards.

Last edited:
Welp, looks like the service manager is willing to lose all business for life on two nearly new Ford vehicles over their $35 oil change error. Service writer called me yesterday at 2pm to let me know that their glass guy "had a baby today" and didn't do the recall on my TC either, which was originally promised Thursday afternoon. He said "I talked to the SM and he said we'll waive the labor for the tire rotation / oil change mistake so it will be $35 for the oil and filter." I told him the service manager will be seeing me today when I pick up my van, now I'm peeved bc the van didn't get done when promised AND they're going to be so "nice" to give me the tire rotation free (which I asked for) yet charge me for the oil change (which I didn't).

So this is really rubbing me wrong; I'm prepared to put up quite a stink, and also tell the SM he can shove his dept where the sun doesn't shine. The other dealer is roughly the same distance from home, so it's no skin off my rear cheeks to take my business elsewhere. After I get the van this afternoon, I'll post the dealer's name if they insist on making me pay for the unsolicited OCI. Might be Fireworks Friday :)

Back