dealer changed: Pennz.-->Castrol GTX in Elantra...problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife drives a 2003 Elantra, which is still under warranty.
When in TN, the dealer used Pennzoil 10/30 always, and since we moved to NC, the new dealer changed her oil with Castrol GTX 10/30. (I didn't see it until she got home, thought idle was a bit rougher than usual, but not always...drives/sounds pretty normal).

(1)is this something to be conCerned about? Are these OILS that different from each other, or is one better?..

(2)btw. the "old" dealer had 3750 mile OCI's and the new one(using GTX) had 4000 mile OCI's scheduled.
(the car has a lot of highway miles, but will run short-trips from now on)

For dino oil, I've used Castrol GTX more times than I can count. It's always served me well, so don't worry about it.

Castrol GTX and Pennzoil are basically dead even with one another in the dino department.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 97tbird:
Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
[QB] GTX is a decent oil. I wouldn't sweat about it.

Just curious - what oil grade does the owner's manual recommend?
----------------------------------------------

Q-pete,

the manual recommends "depending on operation and temperature", 5/30, 10/30, 10/40, and even 20/50!!!
No more specifics about which grade in which temp./conditions though...not the best owner's manual in the world.
(My brother, who lives in Sri Lanka tells me that the Elantras there-same engine probably-get 20/50 all the time..of course there it's always summer
dunno.gif

Thanks

Haven't checked my 01 Elantra's book today but I think it calls for 5w30 up to 95 degrees. There's a web page on Hyundai's site that calls for a far lower limit for 5w30 (or did). The local Hyundai dealer uses 5w30 Castrol for all (many brands) of cars they sell all year long. Hyundai's recommendations tend to heavy weight oils and they're not very fussy about how modern the oil is.

I thought the severe cycle for Hyundais was 3750 miles. I've kept mine on a 4K cycle without trouble, I drive about 22K miles year so the changes occur pretty rapidly.

I'm switching to 5w30 for 9 months out of the year rather than 3 months as I get better mileage with 5w30. I'll probably be switching from Super Tech to Pennzoil and trying to stretch the OCI from 4K to 4.5 K.

People knock Super Tech and Valvoline but I don't think Castrol is that much better in the additive department. Anyway, I think that any SL oil is perfectly acceptable although Pennzoil is one of the best. I wouldn't hesitate to keep Castrol in there for four thousand miles.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
Hyundai's latest TSB addressing motor oil specifies ONLY 5W-30 and 10W-30 in the U.S.

--------

Ray H,

Thanks.
Where can I find those TSB info? Can you tell me pls?

Hyundai's latest TSB addressing motor oil specifies ONLY 5W-30 and 10W-30 in the U.S. As long as it's at least API rated, "SH" (that's not a typo), your warranty rights are protected. Whatever roughness you believe you noted, is NOT related to switching premium brands of motor oil. Between my better half and I, I serviced five Hyundais on nothing but Pep Boys' "best"
rolleyes.gif
10W-30 with nary a hiccup. The motors remained trouble-free on all of 'em when eventually sold or traded. My newest - a 2003 Sonata V6 - is getting a steady diet of Chevron Supreme or Havoline 10W-30. Not because I've had a change of heart - merely because the stuff was 68 cents/qt. on closeout last year at Target... If the car's going to "short-trips from now on", go to 3 mo./3,000 mile OCIs. That's what your Hyundai owner's manual specifies for "severe service" regardless what your servicing dealer's habits are. Short trips are he11 on motor oil.

[ August 09, 2004, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back