Dealer $1,000 markup on $2,495 Metropolitan

I was "quoted" $4,100 out the door on a 2022 Honda Metropolitan. MSRP is $2,495 plus $300 shipping and destination charges. I guess anything with wheels and a motor is expensive now, I get the supply and demand issues, i think used ones are selling for $2,000+.

Ridiculous % markup. Shop around, or get used. I'd get used, why suffer the initial depreciation? "Right now" that depreciation isn't much but once vehicle supply equals demand again, depreciation will be back closer to normal levels.

I wrecked my bike back in September, and let me tell you what people are asking for used bikes is insane. I got paid a very fair price for my bike as it was totaled, but couldn't find a comparable bike for anywhere close to what I got paid. People think they have diamonds these days. If your looking for a bike to offset the cost of your gas usage, your not gonna find any deals in that market. I've seen ads for bikes as old as '90, for three times what they would normally sell for. It's nuts. My only advice is lower your expectations, and keep looking if you just have to have one. There are deals out there, but there few and far between.,,

Like I said in your other thread: buy used, stock, and low miles. If you don't like the Ruckus and prefer the Metropolitan, then you're in luck as it is easier and cheaper to find a stock low mile Metropolitan, than a stock low mile Ruckus.

If all else fails - check Yamaha Vino. Looks like a Metropolitan, fuel injected, just as reliable. Comes in 50cc and 125cc engine sizes.

In my area here is what used ones sell for (only 50cc):
Honda Ruckus: $1800-$2800
Honda Metropolitan: $800-$2000
Yamaha Vino: $800-$1500
Yamaha Zuma: $900-$1800

Last edited:
Ridiculous % markup. Shop around, or get used. I'd get used, why suffer the initial depreciation? "Right now" that depreciation isn't much but once vehicle supply equals demand again, depreciation will be back closer to normal levels.what

Ridiculous % markup. Shop around, or get used. I'd get used, why suffer the initial depreciation? "Right now" that depreciation isn't much but once vehicle supply equals demand again, depreciation will be back closer to normal levels.
The problem is now people are selling used bikes for the same price as when they were new. An example was a 2018 honda metropolitan with only 400 miles, but seller was asking $2400 and he'll probably get it from someone.

The problem is now people are selling used bikes for the same price as when they were new. An example was a 2018 honda metropolitan with only 400 miles, but seller was asking $2400 and he'll probably get it from someone.
With a used one there is room for negotiation usually. With a new one, it's markups on top of markups.

With a used one there is room for negotiation usually. With a new one, it's markups on top of markups.
The last two private sellers I've tried to negotiate with wouldn't budge on asking price on their vehicles at all so I walked. I think that now there's a mindset if the dealers are charging more why should I lower the price on my car? Just weird times we're living in right now.

The last two private sellers I've tried to negotiate with wouldn't budge on asking price on their vehicles at all so I walked. I think that now there's a mindset if the dealers are charging more why should I lower the price on my car? Just weird times we're living in right now.
If you weren't 2500 miles away, I'd sell you my Ruckus at a BITOG discount. Still love it, but also got my eyes on ADV150. Plus tired of hearing my wife complaining about how funny a huge guy like me looks on a tiny moped.

I been looking for a Honda Trail 125 for over a year. One of my local dealers finally got one and they have it marked up $2000. So the MSRP of $3,999 is now $5,999. Then you add shipping, dealer setup, and doc fees. You looking at $7000 + taxes on a 125cc scooter.

Rather than a problem, I'd see that as saving $1700, that you're getting over 1/3rd off while it still has more than 2/3rds of its lifespan remaining.

That sucks, I've always like them, but scooter prices are insane like everything else now. $4,000 is crazy for what is essentially a really nice weed wacker engine with 2 wheels and handle bars.

As already stated, spring is the wrong time to purchase a bike. I’ve been looking at used inventory at a few of the local shops and it’s shocking to see the prices on used stuff. I found a gently used 2014 Honda NC700x with low miles. It seemed comfy and like a fun bike to mess around with for around town or short cruises. I figured at 8 years old and all original (tires) it’d be like $4000. Nope. $7200 out the door. Holee crap!! MSRP on it was $7799 in 2014. I laughed at that price. Not worth anywhere near 7k. But some fool will buy it.

That sucks, I've always like them, but scooter prices are insane like everything else now. $4,000 is crazy for what is essentially a really nice weed wacker engine with 2 wheels and handle bars.
With that logic a Corvette is essentially go-cart with a truck engine for $100,000+.
Either of our comparisons just shows that there is a buyer for anything.

Back