Dead malls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many Malls are dead as discussed many times over. I think the mall owners should give away space to Amazon returns center at furthest walk in to drive foot traffic.

I could not believe how many (10) people in line at Kohl's who takes Amazon returns.

They skipped back to me customer 11 to return something my daughter/wife bought at Kohl's and I had to return.

I'm getting sick of Amazon. Jeff is a big time D, which we cant say what that means around here, the company is growing too big and they are devising all sorts of ways to put many people out of business.
They just launched a janitorial supply gig wanting to put them out, too. It's all going to come bite us in the rear down the road.

Jeff followed Wal-Mart's playbook to expand and undercut his competition.

Definitely a guy that's constantly thinking new revenue streams (AWS, advertising, government contracts, Alexa, Prime, facial recognition, ...etc...).

$15 an hour wage at Amazon warehouse is much better than minimum wage. ðŸ‘

It amazes me that so many people buy from Amazon. You dont always know what your getting. You can't try it on to see if it fits or how it looks on you. And you have to wait a days to get it. I don't get it.

I like Amazon, Prime and Alexa.

I also like to support local businesses, even though it usually costs me more (e.g., farm markets)

Originally Posted by Warstud
It amazes me that so many people buy from Amazon. You dont always know what your getting. You can't try it on to see if it fits or how it looks on you. And you have to wait a days to get it. I don't get it.

Most of the things I subscribe to (15% off) are repeat buys: diapers, baby wipes, toilet paper, detergent, gum, my wife's lotion and other products, K-cups, etc.

The prices are usually the same or cheaper than local prices and arrive on my doorstep each month.

//

Amazon encourages ordering multiple items to try on, then return what doesn't fit or you don't want. Last winter my wife ordered six pairs of Carhart gloves of different styles and sizes; she was tired of [perfectly fine!!!] gloves that were starting to fall apart. I chose the mittens I wanted in the right size and sent the rest back.

My wife also orders multiple cheap clothing items for the kids and, if they don't fit, she sends them back.

//

324 orders placed in 2018 (I don't know if this counts returns)

255 orders placed so far this year

//

Latest purchase: Lisle 20610 Inline Spark Tester for $8.71

Lisle Spark Plug Tester

Originally Posted by madRiver
I think the mall owners should give away space to Amazon returns center at furthest walk in to drive foot traffic.

Thanks for reminding me, I got to cancel my Prime trial membership today before they charge me for it.

I purchase from Amazon because I know what I'm getting.
With free delivery and returns I can try it on.
Quick delivery, great prices, and world class customer service.
I'm more than will to pay the Prime subscription fee when it comes with great help when I really need it.
Beats Wally's by a mile.....

If you want my business, just be better than the competition.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I'm getting sick of Amazon. Jeff is a big time D, which we cant say what that means around here, the company is growing too big and they are devising all sorts of ways to put many people out of business.
They just launched a janitorial supply gig wanting to put them out, too. It's all going to come bite us in the rear down the road.

I love all the Bezos memes as Dr Evil …

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

$15 an hour wage at Amazon warehouse is much better than minimum wage. ðŸ‘

Walmart is paying 18.36 - $20/hr for their warehouse people according to ad on TV. Minimum wage is for seasonal foreign visa workers I think in N.H. I believe the employers though pay additionally for help fees.

We went Amazon cold turkey at the first of this year. Cancelled Prime. Realized we were impulse buying too much stuff we just wanted not needed and Amazon makes it so easy.

Monthly Discover bill is down noticeably and we're no worse for it. We still buy some things not available locally and have nothing bad to say about Amazon at all.

The local mall is on life support, I know we never go there but what we get from Amazon we wouldn't have bought there anyhow.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Many Malls are dead as discussed many times over. I think the mall owners should give away space to Amazon returns center at furthest walk in to drive foot traffic.

I could not believe how many (10) people in line at Kohl's who takes Amazon returns.

They skipped back to me customer 11 to return something my daughter/wife bought at Kohl's and I had to return.

Inside the infamous dead mall that Amazon is turning into a 700,000-square foot fulfillment center

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-could-replace-dead-mall-rolling-acres-photos-2019-2

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Inside the infamous dead mall that Amazon is turning into a 700,000-square foot fulfillment center

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-could-replace-dead-mall-rolling-acres-photos-2019-2

About 30 miles from there they opened another fulfillment center last year where a mall used to be located. It's even larger at 2.3 million square feet.

https://expo.cleveland.com/news/erry-2018/08/4a6d12c4917317/amazon-plans-midseptember-open.html

My brother lives close to where Amazon is building their second headquarters. The next city over so real estate is even hotter than it used to be.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/05/technology/amazon-second-headquarters-split.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Imp4

I purchase from Amazon because I know what I'm getting.
With free delivery and returns I can try it on.
Quick delivery, great prices, and world class customer service.
I'm more than will to pay the Prime subscription fee when it comes with great help when I really need it.
Beats Wally's by a mile.....

If you want my business, just be better than the competition.

Exactly. I must live near an Amazon fulfillment center because I get my stuff within a day or two. Needed a coil for my Rav4. Local places had off brands for $90 in stock. Amazon had Denso for $54 that arrived two days after I ordered it.

Amazon has a new wardrobe purchasing system that addresses any concerns about fit of clothes.

Originally Posted by skyactiv

You would not be thinking like this if the whole "Amazon Thing" was your idea.......

I used to like shopping at local stores but not anymore. Amazon is pretty much where I get everything. I've had it with bad attitudes, rude counter people, way overpriced items and just an overall negative feel. Maybe it's just where I live but it seems like every time I go in a store around here nobody smiles, nobody wants to be nice or anything they just want your money and then it's like get out. I do drive almost 30 minutes to home depot because most of the people at that particular store are very nice and it actually makes me want to shop there but as far as the others i'm done.

Exactly. I must live near an Amazon fulfillment center because I get my stuff within a day or two. Needed a coil for my Rav4. Local places had off brands for $90 in stock. Amazon had Denso for $54 that arrived two days after I ordered it.

Amazon has a new wardrobe purchasing system that addresses any concerns about fit of clothes. [/quote]

Sadly half the parts you need can be gotten faster than the brick n mortar places as well as far cheaper. Nobody carries much stock these days so it's always next day anyways. Why bother making Two trips to town when you can make none.

The efficiency of Fedex is so unreal that physical location means almost nothing. I've had orders filled in Sugarland, Fedexed to the Houston airport, by jet to Memphis, jet to Calgary, Fexdex Van to Cranbrook. BC, courier to my home, all within 3 days.

Depends on the area. When I lived in Buffalo all the Malls were going bankrupt or closing.

When I lived in Austin they could not build enough retail shopping, and it is absolutely booming.

San Antonio has some shopping centers booming also.

We do about 150 orders on amazon per year. Amazon is not always the cheapest but the convenience is so nice for us. We both work full time and have little time off.

I bought three memory foam mattresses this year for my new house, a king bed, and two platform beds.

I just had two powerstop brake rotors/pads/clips delivered to my door for $70 in one day. Autozone wanted $165.

Malls are changing, many of them are turning into mixed use, loft apartments, etc.

Many of the good ones have open air bistros, coffee shops, etc.

We are a far cry from the old box malls, with a Orange Julius, and a hot dog stand.

Whether a mall survives depends on

1. How indoor malls are taxed
(non-strip malls are taxed 2-4x more annually on property tax than strip and stand alone retail)

2. Management, most malls are insured against minimal occupancy and will not price their retail space to match what it's actually worth.

Community organizers can combat dead malls by working together by simply raising the cost of property taxes on stand alone properties like Walmart or ugly generic strip malls.
Retail moved to wherever is cheapest, by overtaxing indoor malls the government chose to eliminate them.

In my area a huge problem is that the town or county fully subsidizes little strip malls that inevitably stay empty and get demolished on the tax payers dime.

The population and wages today aren't significantly different than when I was a kid yet we are drowning in a massive influx of retail, at the end of the day there is just too much retail for an aging declining population and something has gotta give

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dakota99
I used to like shopping at local stores but not anymore. Amazon is pretty much where I get everything. I've had it with bad attitudes, rude counter people, way overpriced items and just an overall negative feel. Maybe it's just where I live but it seems like every time I go in a store around here nobody smiles, nobody wants to be nice or anything they just want your money and then it's like get out. I do drive almost 30 minutes to home depot because most of the people at that particular store are very nice and it actually makes me want to shop there but as far as the others i'm done.

You are not from Indiana or you live in a alternate universe. If you want to know what rude is shop in Los Angeles for a couple of days or walk the streets of San Francisco. I once was cussed out by a toothless bum because I would not give him money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back