Dead Horse Warning: What's with the short OCI's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MRtv
I am always amazed at the concern by some of why we do or don't change oil early or late. What does it matter to you? Do what YOU want and let others alone. As for me I will change my oil on severe service schedule because that is how our vehicles are driven. If you don't like it just remember I did not make you pay for my oil change or make you do the oils change. I am not going to make you keep oil in longer than you feel you want to. C'mon people stand down on this wasteful attitude. You don't and I don't and no one likes being told how to live their life or how long to run their oil. No go out and worry about something much more important.
Sorry about the rant but I have gotten this out of my system. Ahh I feel better now.

+1

"Telling other people how to live their lives" seems to be the norm these days.

Some call it political correctness.

I am always amazed at the concern by some of why we do or don't change oil early or late. What does it matter to you? Do what YOU want and let others alone. As for me I will change my oil on severe service schedule because that is how our vehicles are driven. If you don't like it just remember I did not make you pay for my oil change or make you do the oils change. I am not going to make you keep oil in longer than you feel you want to. C'mon people stand down on this wasteful attitude. You don't and I don't and no one likes being told how to live their life or how long to run their oil. No go out and worry about something much more important.
Sorry about the rant but I have gotten this out of my system. Ahh I feel better now.

I find it entertaining when someone gets called out for buying a certain vehicle, house, boat, whatever, because it's big, expensive, impractical, wastes fuel, etc. In fact I find it funny. I say in this great nation if you can afford it, and want it, go for it. It's no one else's business how another person spends their hard earned money! I think most of those attacks are based on jealousy and not much more.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I find it entertaining when someone gets called out for buying a certain vehicle, house, boat, whatever, because it's big, expensive, impractical, wastes fuel, etc. In fact I find it funny. I say in this great nation if you can afford it, and want it, go for it. It's no one else's business how another person spends their hard earned money! I think most of those attacks are based on jealousy and not much more.

This it is plain and simple Willy Envy

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

You mean like this?:

https://www.jeep.com/build#/powertrain/zipcode/80104/vehicle/CUJ201706/ccode/CUJ201706JKJL72H/llp/2TK/options/ERB,DEH,SDD,TT7,WFG,A7,RES,DME,Z1A,X9,PUA,23K,APA

Originally Posted By: newbe46

I sometimes catch flack because all but one of my cars are European; my feeling is that it's none of my business what anyone else drives, and all I ask is to be given the same consideration...

Originally Posted By: MCompact

I sometimes catch flack because all but one of my cars are European; my feeling is that it's none of my business what anyone else drives, and all I ask is to be given the same consideration...

Whaddya think about that i3?

I don't think anyone was being told what to do or how to spend their money.
Opinions are tossed back and forth here,it's an oil forum.
What is normal for some is just the opposite to others.
Do whatever makes you sleep good at night.
But don't get your panties in a wad if someone gives their thoughts on a subject.

Did they consider that 99 Wrangler as European since Jeep is now owned by Fiat?

Hmmm, I don't recall any posts like that. Any recent examples? By recent I mean this year. Otherwise this seems like a drama queen post.
smile.gif

People believe all the marketing ofsyn oil except how long the syn oil lasts.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Originally Posted By: JoelB
I love having fresh oil in my engine. Gives me piece of mind that it's got good protection.

laugh.gif

Run to the hills Eddie!

Just follow your Owner's Manual on what mileage OCI or time to change your oil.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

You mean like this?:

https://www.jeep.com/build#/powertrain/zipcode/80104/vehicle/CUJ201706/ccode/CUJ201706JKJL72H/llp/2TK/options/ERB,DEH,SDD,TT7,WFG,A7,RES,DME,Z1A,X9,PUA,23K,APA

LOL Like my 2016 Rubicon Hard Rock........

Originally Posted By: gmh101357
Oil is cheap....My Mustangs are worth 38-40k with extra parts....I change the oil every 3 months ...dont care what mileage says...with M1 5w30 in summer and 5w20 winter....I run my Mustangs hard and notice the engine is much smoother sounding after each change. I do the same with our Toyota 2.4 highlander with 90k miles...except i use QS 5w20 high mileage....you can really tell the diff on valve noise. I dont understand people who spend 50k on their cars and try to save 25 bucks by pushing out to 7500 or 10k oil changes. I would never go over 5k

GMH, what about those same people that own that same $50K vehicle and use the SAME oil filter for multiple OCI's! What's your opinion on that?
BTW, read the last line in my signature.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

GMH, what about those same people that own that same $50K vehicle and use the SAME oil filter for multiple OCI's! What's your opinion on that?
wink.gif

If that's what the manufacturer calls for, why not?

My other question - if you're changing the oil at half the manufacturer's recommended interval, why not leave the filter for every other oil change?

When you say short, Do you mean miles or time? My '99 Ranger gets new oil every 2 to 3 years or 7500 miles. Most of the time it's time not miles, right now its oil is two years old but only have 5000 miles on it so I'll change it in the Spring. I have yet had to add any oil in that Ranger, it might be 1/4 qt. low at 7500 miles. It just won't die.

ROD

Originally Posted By: B320i
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

wink.gif

If that's what the manufacturer calls for, why not?

My other question - if you're changing the oil at half the manufacturer's recommended interval, why not leave the filter for every other oil change?

1) It's cheap insurance to just use a new oil filter EVERY OCI. I mean, it's not like they are so expensive you can't afford them.
21.gif

2) Because, I WANT TO, AND CAN!
3) See answers above.
grin.gif

We love it; we are halfway through a 24 month lease and it has been a lot of fun to drive and dead cheap to run. I filled the 2.5 gallon fuel tank on 9/30/16 and as of today after 9,000 miles the tank is still 1/2 full.
I may well buy it if I can pick it up for its actual value rather than the residual(EV depreciation is extremely high.)

Did they consider that 99 Wrangler as European since Jeep is now owned by Fiat?

Actually my TJ was built by Daimler Chrysler; I've since tried to increase its German content by adding Bilstein shocks, Hella E-Code headlamps, and MB Quart speakers.

My oil changes vary between one per race and 5 years. No bodies business but mine.

In some cases it's just because I'm down there doing something anyway. Might as well, it'll save time later. Other times I look at the dip stick and if I can see the cross hatching, it'll stay for another year
laugh.gif

We love it; we are halfway through a 24 month lease and it has been a lot of fun to drive and dead cheap to run. I filled the 2.5 gallon fuel tank on 9/30/16 and as of today after 9,000 miles the tank is still 1/2 full.
I may well buy it if I can pick it up for its actual value rather than the residual(EV depreciation is extremely high.)

Since you have both, compare functionality to the Clubman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back