Dead Horse Warning: What's with the short OCI's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
The "boil off" works in conjunction with a positive voltage on the plate which attracts the electrons, which must pass the "grid". The "grid" causes the electron stream to follow the amplitude of the input signal applied to it. If you look at high power TV transmitters you will find big power triodes and tetrodes still in use. A lightning shot on a transmitting antenna is much less likely to blow up a big tube, many of which are water cooled.

I know that solid state transmitters have generally replaced Traveling Wave Tubes (very fancy vacuum tubes) in military phased array radars, but think that TWTs are still common in civilian applications like weather radars and probably in simpler military systems. No need to generate multiple pencil beams at multiple frequencies when the clouds are not supersonic and trying to kill you... ;^)

Originally Posted By: JoelB
I love having fresh oil in my engine. Gives me piece of mind that it's got good protection.

laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: philipp10
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Other things to keep in mind are:

-Most dealerships make more money servicing and repairing vehicles than they do vehicle sales
-The manufacturer does not care how long your vehicle lasts outside of warranty
-10,000 miles on a good synthetic is much different than 10,000 miles on the cheapest quickie lube conventional
-10,000 miles of easy highway driving is different than 10,000 miles of short trip driving

"-The manufacturer does not care how long your vehicle lasts outside of warranty"....preposterous!!! EVERY manufacturer cares about longevity. The kids buying the old cars of today become the new car buyers of tomorrow. And they....have memories.

Yes, every time i hear that i shake my head. A vehicle lasting 300K miles is a feather in their cap.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: homeyclaus
So let me start another thread on this. It's now 2017. Newer cars have oil life monitors. Yet I see late model cars in the UOA section with 5000 mile or less OCIs, with great results and lots of life left on the oil. Why? I mean it's better than 3000 mile OCI's, since we're not in the 70's anymore, but 7500 mi OCIs have been the norm for Japanese designs for over 15 years now.

Until they start doing long blocks for sludge and engine damage then they change their tune but quick, 3K or 3 months with synthetic was one recommendation. I never saw an engine damaged or have sludge from changing the oil too soon but on the other side....

I go 5K on synthetic and haven't used dino since the mid 80's. No sludge, varnish or leaks on any engine I owned since new, I am not changing.

I'm with you. How about cars that had to have their OLM recalibrated because the OCI was set too long? I wonder how the owners feel, [the owners that actually understand, not the masses that are clueless] especially when the followed it and can't turn the hands of time back. My UOAs show following my OLM would not be a good idea. I'll stick with what I've been doing.

Wait. … thought OLM’s are designed for rationalizing your habits such as many short trips and hardly any to no time at operating temperature … Perhaps for that reason ~ never had an OLM let me go more than 7k~8k … and when ecoboost I was changing 5k to 6k regardless and not paying for UOA …

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Wait. … thought OLM’s are designed for rationalizing your habits such as many short trips and hardly any to no time at operating temperature … Perhaps for that reason ~ never had an OLM let me go more than 7k~8k … and when ecoboost I was changing 5k to 6k regardless and not paying for UOA …

My UOA was free,
wink.gif
I was changing at 5K regardless. I can go a bit more but nowhere near the approx. 8.5K +/- it would have me changing my oil at.

On ecoboost ~ only ran 6k with the M1 5w40 … the 5w30 M1 EP or PUP came out at 5k …

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I used to be a 3K mile oil changer. I now change it at 5K and use the FU-3600 or MC FL-400S oil filter. But, I only use the oil filter for ONE OCI!
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Me also but now I do an OCI in Sept/Oct and one in April/May mileage doesn't matter I just want a warm sunny day the rest will sort itself out.

I guess we're all motoring enthusiasts with a particular interest in oil, aren't we? We care about things others don't, like SAE, ACEA, ILSAC, BMW and VW oil specifications, kinematic viscosities and total base numbers.

Spending money on all things oil-related, like laboratory analyses, expensive oils and excessive oil changes at short intervals is a hobby, whether we admit it or not.

Meanwhile, mineral 20W-50 is on sale for $13/5 L, and 15W-40 HDEO for $54/20 L, and would probably do many (yes, not all) of our cars perfectly well - still well enough for their engines to outlast the bodies to which they are attached.

Oil is cheap....My Mustangs are worth 38-40k with extra parts....I change the oil every 3 months ...dont care what mileage says...with M1 5w30 in summer and 5w20 winter....I run my Mustangs hard and notice the engine is much smoother sounding after each change. I do the same with our Toyota 2.4 highlander with 90k miles...except i use QS 5w20 high mileage....you can really tell the diff on valve noise. I dont understand people who spend 50k on their cars and try to save 25 bucks by pushing out to 7500 or 10k oil changes. I would never go over 5k

Back in the day when I did the 3 months/3000 miles deal,I never could hear any difference after the oil change.
Oil is so much better now that if you only go 3 months oci,you are wasting good oil.
Unless you go 20000 in 3 months that is.

Same folks you see pumping unknown gas in a new Escalade … $0.02 less per gallon over Exxon, Shell, Costco …

Originally Posted By: gmh101357
Oil is cheap....My Mustangs are worth 38-40k with extra parts....I change the oil every 3 months ...dont care what mileage says...with M1 5w30 in summer and 5w20 winter....I run my Mustangs hard and notice the engine is much smoother sounding after each change. I do the same with our Toyota 2.4 highlander with 90k miles...except i use QS 5w20 high mileage....you can really tell the diff on valve noise. I dont understand people who spend 50k on their cars and try to save 25 bucks by pushing out to 7500 or 10k oil changes. I would never go over 5k

This is what I do too. Every three months like clockwork in all three cars (Z,Accord,and gf's Mustang).

I am always amazed at the concern by some of why we do or don't change oil early or late. What does it matter to you? Do what YOU want and let others alone. As for me I will change my oil on severe service schedule because that is how our vehicles are driven. If you don't like it just remember I did not make you pay for my oil change or make you do the oils change. I am not going to make you keep oil in longer than you feel you want to. C'mon people stand down on this wasteful attitude. You don't and I don't and no one likes being told how to live their life or how long to run their oil. No go out and worry about something much more important.
Sorry about the rant but I have gotten this out of my system. Ahh I feel better now.

Originally Posted By: MRtv
I am always amazed at the concern by some of why we do or don't change oil early or late. What does it matter to you? Do what YOU want and let others alone. As for me I will change my oil on severe service schedule because that is how our vehicles are driven. If you don't like it just remember I did not make you pay for my oil change or make you do the oils change. I am not going to make you keep oil in longer than you feel you want to. C'mon people stand down on this wasteful attitude. You don't and I don't and no one likes being told how to live their life or how long to run their oil. No go out and worry about something much more important.
Sorry about the rant but I have gotten this out of my system. Ahh I feel better now.

Yes they'll have a 25% say in my OIC's when they start paying for them and they still won't go beyond my warm fuzzy zone. But if any of you want to pay for my oil/filters let me know and I'll tell you where to send the money.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Severe service?

Right on!

For my car, manual states 5-6K for regular service. 3K for severe service.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

This is what I do too. Every three months like clockwork in all three cars (Z,Accord,and gf's Mustang).

When i was a kid ....I turned 13 in 1970 I would change the oil in my Honda SL70 every month....it held about 7/8 a quart and back in those days Castrol GTX 4 stroke motorcycle oil was the only game in town.....30wt or 40wt ....I ran 30wt in the little SL70 and when I got a SL125 in 72 I did the same thing it held 1 quart....so every month I would change the oil....little Honda had no filter just a screen that was a pain in the as$ to get to and clean...so i bought a magnetic drain plug and cleaned the filer every third month or about 1500 miles.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

When i was a kid ....I turned 13 in 1970 I would change the oil in my Honda SL70 every month....it held about 7/8 a quart and back in those days Castrol GTX 4 stroke motorcycle oil was the only game in town.....30wt or 40wt ....I ran 30wt in the little SL70 and when I got a SL125 in 72 I did the same thing it held 1 quart....so every month I would change the oil....little Honda had no filter just a screen that was a pain in the as$ to get to and clean...so i bought a magnetic drain plug and cleaned the filer every third month or about 1500 miles.

Nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back