Dead Horse Point, Utah - panorama

wwillson

Staff member
I'm learning how to use Lightroom and figured out how to make a panorama. I wish I had taken the pictures with the sun to my back and it wasn't so hazy, but you get the idea of the enormity and beauty. The full panorama is 15,000px wide and 35MB, which makes it much clearer than this picture, but it's way to big to post here.

deadhorsepano.jpg

Last edited:
Nice photographic work. We did a pretty comprehensive tour of Utah many years ago in 1999 with our K1500 Z71 Silverado, taking in Moab, Dead Horse Point, Valley of the Gods, Arches NP and Bryce Canyon, spectacular scenery, highly recommended.

Awesome panorama! The Moab area is, bar none, one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. I visited Dead Horse Point (and Canyonlands/Arches) in winter, after a fresh snow, and the combination of colors was absolutely stunning! I'd return in a heartbeat, and highly recommend trying to see it in the snow.
(just a couple iPhone pics... Arches in the morning, then Dead Horse Point in the afternoon, and an arch at Canyonlands before sunset)
IMG_2082.jpeg
IMG_2124.jpeg
IMG_2141.jpeg

Awesome pics guys. Other than 1 trip to Southern California by plane a couple of years ago, I have never been west of Iowa. Someday......

I would highly suggest driving Utah Scenic Highway 12 through Escalante for a truly breath taking experience-if you visit Southern Utah.

I would highly suggest driving Utah Scenic Highway 12 through Escalante for a truly breath taking experience-if you visit Southern Utah.
We drove UT-12 from Torrey to Bryce pulling our 30' Airstream. When we got to the 14% downgrade and considering we weighed about 18,000 lbs I was a bit nervous. We used the engine brake and in 1st gear I still had to use the brakes to keep from accelerating!

Our own @dnewton3 recommended we drive this scenic route. Mr. Newton gives great advice!

Last edited:
We drove UT-12 from Torrey to Bryce pulling our 30' Airstream. When we got to the 14% downgrade and considering we weighed about 18,000 lbs I was a bit nervous. We used the engine brake and in 1st gear I still had to use the brakes to keep from accelerating!

Our own @dnewton3 recommended we drive this scenic route. Mr. Newton gives great advice!

I would not tow that road and my trailer is 5,000 pounds. That takes the enjoyment out of the trip.

Very nice. I've been to Island in the Sky many times, but never Dead Horse Point. It looks like I need to stop there next time.

Very nice. I've been to Island in the Sky many times, but never Dead Horse Point. It looks like I need to stop there next time.
Which means you drove right past the turn-off to Dead Horse Point. We almost did the same thing, but figured we might as well stop to check it out since we had time. I think it's in the top three most visually stunning places I've ever seen.

UT-12 is great on a Motorcycle. We've towed the toy hauler there. Just about 36k GCVW. No issues. The exhaust brake is a big help, and the service brakes had no trouble. As long as you're within ratings, you should be fine.

All of the National Parks in Utah are worth seeing. But as I said in your Glacier NP thread, they are all becoming overcrowded.

Last edited:
All of the National Parks in Utah are worth seeing.
I tell anyone who will listen not to skip any of the five national parks in Utah. They are all fabulous in their own way. I suspect Capitol Reef is the most skipped and we thought it had equal beauty to the other four.

Back