De-installed Vista today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Compaq C509NR laptop from Best Buy for $399. It comes with Vista Basic. It has a Celeron 440 1.86GHz CPU and 512MB of RAM.

Even after I de-installed all of the extra #@$%! that Compaq loaded onto it, and turned off all of the eye-candy for maximum performance, it was STILL slower than my old laptop running XP..and that has a Duron 800 with 384MB of RAM.

So made the recovery DVDs so I could put Vista back on it later, just in case, and then I wiped the drive and put XP on it.

Now it's much faster. I don't miss Vista. Incidentally, anyone who has this laptop and wants XP drivers for it, look up the C302NR--same laptop, but that's the model # it had when it was sold with XP.

Well, with only 1.8 ghz processor and 512 of RAM, I am not suprised. 2 ghz processor and 1 GIG minimum would be the minimum in my book for Vista basic on a laptop.

I don't think Vista = ME. For most users though, it does not do any more than XP does, and everything they have works with XP.

Microsoft calls people that buy one of their products within a couple of years of it's intoroduction as Beta Testers. For all those that join the Vista Beta program, I thank you for all your hard work. I'll wait until the product enters it's third or forth year, that called the Production Release.

Funny thing is, XP actually runs faster on the same hardware than Windows 98 does, assuming it has 256MB or more of RAM.

From what I have heard of Vista, it is never faster than XP on any hardware. Vista just doesn't appear to be as much of an improvement, if anyway, to be worth bothering with for a good while.

Quote:

Funny thing is, XP actually runs faster on the same hardware than Windows 98 does, assuming it has 256MB or more of RAM.

That's consistent with what I've found as well. The explanation is this:

XP uses a much more memory (for the OS itself) than Win-98 does, which makes Win-98 faster on "small memory" computers (especially computers with only 64 meg of memory or less). But (due to the small memory assumptions built into Win-98) Win-98 also tops out how much memory it can usefully use (assuming it's installed in the computer) a LOT quicker than XP. So if you have a "lot" (by Win-98 standards, not by current standards) of memory, XP will be able to usefully use a much larger share of that memory. And that will speed things up, because anything you can do fully in memory is something that you don't have to go to the much slower disk drive to do!

Quote:

From what I have heard of Vista, it is never faster than XP on any hardware.

Doesn't surprise me.

Every version of Windows has been bigger, with more "bloat", and hence should (in theory) have been slower. However, in the past, improvements in memory usage inside Windows (as more and more memory is installed) have often offset this slowdown due to "bloat" with speedups due to better memory usage. But by the time XP came out, Windows was already doing pretty good memory management, so it's not surprising that MS wasn't able (this time) to make enough additional gains in memory usage to offset the expected slowdown due to the Windows OS just getting bigger and fatter each version!

Quote:

Vista just doesn't appear to be as much of an improvement, if anyway, to be worth bothering with for a good while.

FWIW: Even many places that are covered under a MS "site license", where there is no extra licensing costs for Vista (because they have agreed to pay MS some large but fixed bundle of money, for the right to "upgrade" all their PCs to any version of Windows they choose to use), have decided to hold off on Vista for the present. One place I know about (with a large MS site license) actually had a team evaluate the new OS, and issued a recommendation (to the entire business) to only upgrade to Vista if you have some specific "need" (a Vista only feature, for example) that you can't meet with XP (a recommendation they did NOT give about XP, when it first came out). Apparently, they encountered just too many "issues" with Vista (problems with installs, problems with running older software, problems with performance, etc), that they felt that you were far better off staying on the "older" OS until Vista had a chance to "mature" a bit (and get a few needed patches under its belt)...

I'll take Linux for a 64-bit operating system any day. Period. Window$ =
assimilation.gif

I'm running vista right now, I love it. I wouldn't spend the money for it over XP, but as a OS that came free with my laptop it's perfect. I'm running a 2ghz core 2, and 2 gigs of memory. My programs definetly run faster, even thought all my drivers are beta. I like how when im playing a game my memory usage goes up to 95%, on XP I never hit over 700 MB usage.

The eye candy is definetly great, everything is easy on the eyes and I love the way the windows glide when I minimize them. It doesnt bother me that it's beta, updates will come out. I'd definetly take XP pro over vista basic however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back