De-hydrogenated beef fat Motor Oils = Ester Base?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Organic Chemists: Would this end up being an ester base? I got a bottle of G-OIL 10W-30 API SM and was thinking of using it as a supplement. Whaddya think?

SHHhhh - I already spiked my current fill of synpower with 250ml of the 10w-30 small engine G-oil. I will tell you it is the best amendment I've used to date. Gave me the silky "electric-motor-esq" smoothness I was looking for, but missing on any as-formulated oil. The pistons now feel as if they are gliding on ... oil
wink.gif

Ah- The P.F. Flyers "Action Wedge®" effect. It would MAKE you run faster and jump higher.

I think to save some money in this troubled economy, G.E. should recommend grp-III based lubricants for commercial jet engine applications. That Ester stuff is all speculation and whimsy.

Last edited:
All fats are esters. I think any use of unsaturated material as a PCMO is a bad idea. Tallow does have a long history as a lubricant. I highly doubt stripping hydrogen out of it would do much except lower the melting point at a large decrease in the inherent stability. Unsaturated fats polymerize in the presence of oxygen and metals, the higher the temperature, the faster. Yes you can delay it with additives, but I would rather see a pour point depressant added to the original stable, saturated fat.

Better yet, just conmvert it to the methyl ester and burn it as biodiesel.

+1 for Labman's thoughts. We want to use type 2 and 3 oils because the double bonds are basically REMOVED so that sludge and varnish formation are minimized. Why would you want to put in an oli that has MORE double bonds? (Sounds like a test question on an organic chem exam.)

Originally Posted By: labman
All fats are esters. I think any use of unsaturated material as a PCMO is a bad idea. Tallow does have a long history as a lubricant. I highly doubt stripping hydrogen out of it would do much except lower the melting point at a large decrease in the inherent stability. Unsaturated fats polymerize in the presence of oxygen and metals, the higher the temperature, the faster. Yes you can delay it with additives, but I would rather see a pour point depressant added to the original stable, saturated fat.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

Tom NJ

Oh, well. It felt good for a while. No 2-buck magic bullet:( Now I feel the need for a cigarette ...

Last edited:
Chewing the fat some more; I would assume the patented process would fill in the H-holes with something. I'll see if I can dig up anything worth reading on patentstorm and see what G.E.T is up to ...

Last edited:

Great post, thanks!

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Organic Chemists: Would this end up being an ester base? I got a bottle of G-OIL 10W-30 API SM and was thinking of using it as a supplement. Whaddya think?

What is G-OIL?

Agree wholeheartedly with the second point.

As to the first, and it's nothing to do with your point...I can understand the process of hydrogenation, but how do you dehydrogenate, or introduce double and triple bonds into a saturated fat ?

Can you and I patent "heart healthy" lard ?

Lard is heat healthy. Margarine is not. Now where dat bake potatoe wid my T-Bonnnn. Yup.

-Seriously, the oil was API cert SM by G.E.T, so it cant be ALLL that bad, No? Or is it, you pay your $1200 bucks for the API cert and lie like a bandit on it? Come to think, I havent seen any of the promised 5w-30 PCMO on the shelves anywhere ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back