DBL7405 filter--any before and after data?

Hello there, first post here but not first time here. I am curious if anyone here has run the Donaldson DBL 7405 filter and noticed an improvement in their oil analysis? Or if they can offer any pros and cons, even if it's only based on anecdotal evidence. I've run the 7405 on my '92 7.3 IDI diesel for a couple years now and like the idea of more filter area even though my OCI is only 5k(dino), which is the OEM spec for normal duty--not sure if that number is from Ford or Navistar though. Oddly enough I pay less for these massive Donaldson filters than NAPA charges for a 7.3 PSD filter.

DBL7405 has a 15 micron rating @ 99% Efficiency, you can't ask for better than that on a full flow filter. You'd need a bypass system to do better, if the price is right I would continue using them.

I run the Donaldson DBL7349 on my Cummins for usually 10k. That filter is designed for extended service, will easily go 15k and out to 25k on a well maintained engine. You may want to do some more research and run the filter for two OCI's or even three possibly.

Thanks
You may want to do some more research
Interested but unsure where to look for reliable data. Suggestions? I've suspected I'm not using the filter to its potential but I would feel horrible if I ruined my engine by trying to save a few bucks. Ryder Fleet products used to have the best price at $20 a filter but had to stop selling them to CA for some dumb labeling reason.

I've suspected I'm not using the filter to its potential but I would feel horrible if I ruined my engine by trying to save a few bucks. Ryder Fleet products used to have the best price at $20 a filter but had to stop selling them to CA for some dumb labeling reason.
Does Dondalson give a mileage rating on the filter? If not, then just run it per the maintenance schedule. If they rate it at say 10K miles and you do 5K oil changes, then running it out to 10K miles (two 5K oil changes) should be safe to do if your engine is nice and clean inside.

Can't find a mileage rating on the spec sheet at the Donaldson website. All they mention is "double the contaminant holding capacity. . .for longer filter life." Not very specific but I'm fairly confident that 10k would be safe since Navistar originally specified 5k OCI for normal duty, and that's with a much older and smaller filter design. I think the OEM filter held 1 quart and the DBL7405 holds 3 quarts. I only drive about 11-12k a year and wouldn't mind the simplicity of an annual oil change.

Back