Daytona Weekend

I stole one of @slo town 's pics to help explain what the theory is. If you look at the back of the wheel there are the small holes around the large center hole. Those correspond to the 6 pins on the hub surface of the brake hat. These locate the wheel on the hub before the lugnut is tightened to make sure it is oriented correctly and flush mounted to the hub.

The theory with what RFK and Penske did was modify the holes on the wheels to make sure that they were engaged properly and faster than as the wheels were supplied by BBS. It wouldn't be surprising that Penske figured this out since V8 Supercars uses a similar setup and Penske about dominated V8SC from 2017-2020 with Scott McLaughlin winning the driver's title 2018-2020.

View attachment 89720View attachment 89721
This

very impressed with features of the new cars. You know of course no matter how screwed up things in NASCAR get its pretty hard for them to mess up Daytona. STep on gas and hang on! LOL I loved how we got to see steady racing instead of far too many cautions.(y)
I'm not impressed with the new cars. They seem to break easily, come apart. Rear suspensions breaking, wheels breaking. Can't get the wheels on correctly. I was disappointed with the Fox coverage. Twice they went to commercial break with a big wreck happening. They did turn the commercial off on the second one. Then the announcers were talking some promo when something important was happening on the track. I do like the 2 color guys. Several times they told us who was leading when on the screen somebody else was in the lead. C'mon Fox you have better announcers than NBC. It's hard to listen to Jr. and the other guy butcher the english language.

I watched some of the what they call a "race" these days.
Seeing a train of cars drafting and bumping each other is not real racing.
Real racing would be 15 cars and no drafting or bumping.
It was just boring.

They had modified them to help them get the wheels on correctly. There's an issue with that which showed up in the Big race.
I was thinking about that while watching the race. If I'm not mistaken, the only Penske car that had wheel fit issues was blaneys #12, and none of the rfk cars had issues. Since the penalty for a wheel coming off is so severe, and will lead to a crash, maybe nascar should give Penske and rfk a pass on their wheel mods and ask bbs to make those mods themselves. 🤔

I'm not impressed with the new cars. They seem to break easily, come apart. Rear suspensions breaking, wheels breaking. Can't get the wheels on correctly. I was disappointed with the Fox coverage. Twice they went to commercial break with a big wreck happening. They did turn the commercial off on the second one. Then the announcers were talking some promo when something important was happening on the track. I do like the 2 color guys. Several times they told us who was leading when on the screen somebody else was in the lead. C'mon Fox you have better announcers than NBC. It's hard to listen to Jr. and the other guy butcher the english language.
If they can beef up those rear suspension components I think the car has a lot of potential. When Tyler Reddick spun and crashed it was a failure in the rear suspension that caused it. I'm sure they'll get it sorted out. They do seem to be able to repair them quickly.

What's with NASCAR confiscating the FORD rims.....

Feb 23, 2022....no penalties were announced for Team Penske or RFK Racing relating to wheels that were confiscated prior to the race at Daytona.

NASCAR did release the following statement though, announcing slight modifications to the wheels.

“NASCAR met with Next Gen suppliers and several race teams this week to discuss wheel specifications. Following that discussion, NASCAR made small adjustments to increase the upper tolerance on pin and pilot bores for Fontana. NASCAR will reevaluate with suppliers and race teams and determine a path forward following this weekend’s race.”

Sounds like NASCAR likes the modifications Penske and RFK made to the wheels.

There was an interview with a Penske higher-up on SiriusXM NASCAR who stated they were just returning the wheels to the spec given by BBS.

Landon Cassil was on Tuesday and he mentioned the Justin Haley wheel was loose and the spokes were machined by the brake caliper. He also stated he had "a small campfire" in his dash and his reverse camera display went blank the rest of the race.

Back