Daytime Running Light

Status
Not open for further replies.
LED's are not as bright per square milimetre as a tungten filament, so you have to have a larger lens/mirror to focus it into a small spot. If we had eyes that could see infrared, solid state lasers would be an answer.

Maybe one day someone will invent a red/green/blue laser trio that's 25% efficient. You could do some amazing stuff if you could switch the laser headlights on and off with nanosecond precision. Seeing past fog with optically switched glasses is one example.

I think LEDs also suffer discontinued light spectrum. It is missing some colors in the white mix and hence has lower Color Rendering Index (CRI) than Halogen Lamps. This makes them good DRLs and signal lights, but poor headlights.

Interestingly, the HID Xenon headlights, although brighter and more energy efficient, also suffer from lower CRI than the Halogens they replaced, which has an CRI value of closed to 100.

Here is an article:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/disadvantages/disadvantages.html

I have always ran with the headlights on while driving truck, the nighthawk came where they were always on. I do think they help safety wise though there are those who pull out in front of you whether you're driving a motorcycle or a freightliner. Now if the motorcycle horn just sounded like the truck
grin.gif

Let's just see, if the air is less dense does it have less OXYGEN - but more NITROGEN ...making it actually more dense? Point #2- Wouldn't an engine give better economy if it had more acces to OXYGEN in more dense AIR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back