Daughter's Civic in my signature...

...has been rear ended by a young man doing ~60 mph according to the hiwy patrol.

State College, PA

My daughter was stopped & waiting for a School Bus who was picking up children yesterday(11-5-21) early in the morning while on her way to work.
When she got slammed into by a young fella not looking where he was going. The impact drove my daughter's Civic another ~50 yards from where she was STOPPED and into the oncoming lane in which she was able to steer her car somewhat back into her lane. She has video but, I don't at this time.

Both she and the driver of the car that hit her are OK but time will tell. I am assuming that her Civic is going to be TOTALED as the trunk and rear quarters plus the back windshield are unrecognizable. The kid that hit my daughter's car claimed that he was changing radio stations(last gen GrandPrix w/steering wheel mounted radio controls). IDK if the Police checked him for sobriety or his cell phone for usage. I just don't know at this time.

This Civic was a 2015 and in perfect condition(60K miles) as I am the only one who has worked on it since she took ownership in July 5th 2018. IDK if she'll get a lawyer or how the boy's insurance company will handle it. She got a rental car to get to work and to drive to Harrisburg (Navy Reserves) later that evening. She will be checked out by the Navy Medical and I hope she can get some Navy legal advise this weekend.

Just got this pic. You can see the School Buss to the left.
254081374_10114406203180241_2927823981636572593_n.jpg

Thank god she’s ok. Ten bucks says the person was looking at their phone. I see people on the freeway (in the passing lane!) looking at their phones all the time.
Since she was stopped for a school bus that is an open and shut case. The other drivers insurance company will probably settle with no questions asked.
Good luck and again I’m so glad nobody got hurt.

I’m glad she’s OK. Let me echo what others have said: the car did a good job protecting her.

That’s all that matters - the car protected her and she’s unhurt.

The rest is details.

When you get a chance, read the PM I’m sending. I’ll give you my contact details. I know a bit about the Navy Reserve. I’m happy to talk you and/or her about her career and options.

Cheers,
Astro

If she’s not hurt I’m not sure I would go to an attorney (and lose 30%)
My car was just clipped by a car carrier while parked. I wasn’t in it Totaled
I got more than I paid for it 1.5 years and 30,000 miles prior from his insurance company (Progressive was very honest but I knew all the information

I agree that it is great news that your daughter is in good condition.

I was surprised looking at the civic--the back obviously was hit hard. But look from the rear/second door onward, how little damage was done to the frame of the car. Looks like a real world example of how car companies are designing the cars to absorb the impact of the crash before it is sent into the passenger section. Perhaps engineers can correct my terminology....

Glad your daughter is O.K. and that the Kids getting on the Bus are O.K.
The effects of whiplash may take a day or two to develop. I glad the MTF will check her out.
Hopfully the insurance will reflect the current market situation.

Also on a funny note, Man those are some tough rear lightbulbs - still glowing!

If she’s not hurt I’m not sure I would go to an attorney (and lose 30%)
My car was just clipped by a car carrier while parked. I wasn’t in it Totaled
I got more than I paid for it 1.5 years and 30,000 miles prior from his insurance company (Progressive was very honest but I knew all the information
^^This

An attorney won't even consider the case if there's not at least $10K in it for them. Only thing to do is let the insurance companies hash it out.

Sue that rat for anything you can get.

For what exactly? If she's not injured and the insurance company replaces the car and rental costs etc. that's all you can expect. People who haven't been there don't understand how it works.

Thank God she seems to be okay. You can find another car.

Maybe the video will show the driver with his head down as he hits her and will end up with appropriate moving violations.

My friend.....stopped at a red light....boy texting his girlfriend in pickup doing 45 mph hit him.....car was in worse looking shape.....lifelong back and hip damage.
He won't talk further about it.

When I think of it, I leave space ahead of me when stopped. Whether or not I maintain rearward watch AND have the presence of mind to evade a inattentive driver remains to be seen. I hope I never learn.

Back