Daughter turned down a free pickup for her oldest Son

I would have loved to have that truck! It's the best of the best, 4.3, ZR2, 4WD etc and a great interior. I would have snapped it up in 30 mins too!

Good looking truck. I love the platform unfortunately they are slowly starting to disappear.

As others have said, it’s the thought that counts. I would have loved it at that age personally.

If the truck were needed in three months, it might have worked out. But three years??? That's a long time to hold a vehicle for a "what if" scenario.

I actually passed on a nice (well maintained) older first-gen Dakota several years ago, because my brother offered it to me, but my daughter was only 13 years old and 3 years away from getting her license. I didn't need a vehicle sitting around for no good use, especially in a space-limited driveway. Can't park it in the street if it's not registered. So no only would I have a truck I didn't need sitting around in the way for 3 years, but I'd also have to pay to title/insure it as well.

The right vehicle at the wrong time is ultimately the wrong choice.
The wrong vehicle at the right time isn't much better.
Has to be the right vehicle at the right time.

Your heart is in the right place, and I plan on doing something similar with my kids, but that’s a long time for a car to sit. I plan on buying my kids older 1st vehicles 3-4 years before they start driving as projects for us to work on together, kind of Vice Grip Garage style. I think if they put their blood, sweat, and tears into them they’ll appreciate them more.

One of the mods on here has a mint condition truck similar to that one that he bought new. Around the same year and I think dark green if memory serves correct. I’ve always like those.

A neighbor offered her well maintained (by me) car to her grandson as he was driving an ancient rattle-trap. whilst struggling in school.
The kid never even acknowledged her offer.
At least your clan communicates.
And yeah, it's better if your truck keeps rollin' along instead of sitting for a dozen years.

If the truck were needed in three months, it might have worked out. But three years??? That's a long time to hold a vehicle for a "what if" scenario.
Grandson is 3 years old and it will be 13 years before he can drive.

Grandson is 3 years old and it will be 13 years before he can drive.
Your quote of my quote must have happened prior to my deleting it, as I realized the disparity and that's why I deleted my comment.
But your point is not without merit, and I agree with you.

ARCOgraphite nailed it. I was emotionally attached to the little truck. I have had numerous S10s in the 1980s, and this was my youngest Son's truck for ten years.

I simply did not want to let it go.

Glad I did.

BTW- my Daughter and her husband just closed on a new construction house south if Denver. She asked to borrow one of my two F350s for a few months. Of course I said yes....... she called after getting the truck and asked me if it took gas or diesel :rolleyes:

ARCOgraphite nailed it. I was emotionally attached to the little truck. I have had numerous S10s in the 1980s, and this was my youngest Son's truck for ten years.

I simply did not want to let it go.

Glad I did.

BTW- my Daughter and her husband just closed on a new construction house south if Denver. She asked to borrow one of my two F350s for a few months. Of course I said yes....... she called after getting the truck and asked me if it took gas or diesel :rolleyes:
At least she asked lol!

Back