Dash Cam Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really tossing around the idea of getting a dash cam. The daily work commute is quite congested and often results in a w-t-f moment or two. Wouldn't mind having the drive be logged in the event of an accident.

Any recommendations from the board?

Last edited:
All my own personal research points back to the Viofo A129.

But I haven't pulled the trigger either...

I have a A129 Duo

It's a decent camera, for the price

Hey, it helped me in my accident, so it's the best camera at ANY price

Blackvue and or Thinkware is where it's at when it comes to modern polished interfaces and rock solid reliability

Weigh your needs and budget

There's several websites and YouTube channels that specialize in dashcams

I have a cheaper Aukey model and it does okay. This is a video clip from an accident that happened July 5th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPkEN3aaRrk

I am looking to upgrade, not because of quality but durability. I am looking at Viofo and possibly Garmin for my next one.

As far as giving video to an insurance company in the event of an accident. I gave this clip to State Farm and they accepted 100% liability for not only my vehicle, but for the vehicle I hit when I spun around. Didn't change the fact that their insured had state minimum coverage and that wasnt enough to cover my vehicle let alone the other damages and I still had to file a claim through my own un/ underinsured insurance.

Her are a few additional pics from the crash if anyone is interested.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 97f150
I have a cheaper Aukey model and it does okay. This is a video clip from an accident that happened July 5th.

I am looking to upgrade, not because of quality but durability. I am looking at Viofo and possibly Garmin for my next one.

Thank you for sharing! That quality looked very good, what do you mean by durability? That was quite the impact, glad to hear you're doing alright!

Originally Posted by RamFan
Originally Posted by 97f150

Thank you for sharing! That quality looked very good, what do you mean by durability? That was quite the impact, glad to hear you're doing alright!

This one has a battery, which over time will fail and begin to swell especially with the heat in my area. Higher end units use a capacitor to provide residual power when the unit is not in use. So far 2 years in and it's still kicking though.

It was one heck of a ride for sure, but aside from some lingering soreness both my fiance and I are okay. The truck was salvaged and has been replaced. I know that everyone involved walked away from the scene, idk how the girl in the car came out in the long run though.

Originally Posted by RamFan
I'm really tossing around the idea of getting a dash cam. The daily work commute is quite congested and often results in a w-t-f moment or two. Wouldn't mind having the drive be logged in the event of an accident.

Any recommendations from the board?

FYI. Double check your state/local laws to confirm if it's okay to secretly record audio. Some dash cams have audio and consequently leaving them running when your vehicle is in for service could be illegal.

Last edited:
I just installed this Aukey 2 channel dash cam for my car a couple weeks ago. It's small, easy, and straight forward to install. Video quality is great for it's price but the only thing it's lacking vs. the high-end $200+ two channel dash cams is WiFi and 2K/4K recording.

Go to dashcamtalk.com and do some research. I'm currently using a Viofo A119Pro and Vantrue N1 for front cams and an older Street Guardian for the rear. Lots of good cams and really bad ones out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back