Dark Theme Scroll Bar

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
I mentioned this way back when the switch over to XenForo happened. When in "dark theme" the scroll bar on the RH side of the screen is barely visible. See snap shots below. One is from BITOG and the other is from another chat board I use that is also running XenForo software. Same monitor, same exact settings. I love everthing about the new software, but this one item still makes it a pain to use the dark theme IMO.

BITOG Dark Theme. It's actually harder to see on the screen than what the snap-shot portrays dependent on room lighting and screen glare.

BITOG Dark Theme Scroll Bar.JPG

A different chat board XenForo Dark Theme. Notice the whole dark background is lighter also, and maybe that's what's making the scroll bar lighter too - ?.

Other Board Dark Theme Scroll Bar.JPG

I switched mine to dark just to check what it was like on mobile and on mobile it’s very noticeable. Even though you don’t really need it on mobile.

AM ... this is on my laptop with an external monitor. I'm running Firefox when I took the snap-shots above. On my Android phone in dark theme I can see it fine, but on the cell it's easy to scroll the screen with a finger. On a laptop/desktop, the RH scroll bar is easier to scroll the page up/down.

I just looked at dark theme in MS Edge and Google Chrome. Both of those look about the same and much better. Just seems to be a Firefox thing.

MS Edge

BITOG Dark Theme Scroll Bar - MS Edge.JPG

Google Chrome

BITOG Dark Theme Scroll Bar - Google Chrome.JPG

I've been trying to figure out how the color of the scrollbar is controlled and I'm getting nowhere. I'm hoping we have a web developer here that might be able to tell us what controls the color of the scrollbar.

AM ... this is on my laptop with an external monitor. I'm running Firefox when I took the snap-shots above. On my Android phone in dark theme I can see it fine, but on the cell it's easy to scroll the screen with a finger. On a laptop/desktop, the RH scroll bar is easier to scroll the page up/down.

I just looked at dark theme in MS Edge and Google Chrome. Both of those look about the same and much better. Just seems to be a Firefox thing.

MS Edge

View attachment 52612

Google Chrome

View attachment 52613
Yup that's what mine looks like on Google Chrome.

I've been trying to figure out how the color of the scrollbar is controlled and I'm getting nowhere. I'm hoping we have a web developer here that might be able to tell us what controls the color of the scrollbar.
Just seems to be like that in Firefox. Don't waste a bunch of time, but if you can find a setting to control the contrast of the scroll bar in Firefox that would be nice. Thanks for looking into it again Wayne.

I use the dark theme 24/7. Using Chrome on Android 10. The scrollbar is light gray, the background is black. Depending on if you're fully zoomed out or not, the border around each post is gray, but the border is a darker gray than the scrollbar. The only white is the post text itself. No issues here...

Edit: I also use "Desktop Site" on mobile 24/7, maybe that's a variable.

Hopefully this doesn't compress too much:

20210404_000034.jpg

Last edited:
Back