Daniel Stern reminisces about his old British bikes

Tks for that link. I remember when I was a young boy that I had a Raleigh bicycle. They seemed to be fairly common. That was before the Japanese were importing their bikes. Huffy was the bike to have. It was rugged and its spokes made orgasmic noises when equipped with a clothes pin and properly attached to your favorite Mickey Mantle rookie baseball card.:(

1619909741063.png

Last edited:
Tks for that link. I remember when I was a young boy that I had a Raleigh bicycle. They seemed to be fairly common. That was before the Japanese were importing their bikes. Huffy was the bike to have. It was rugged and its spokes made orgasmic noises when fitted with a clothes pin and properly fitted with your favorite Willie Mays rookie baseball card.:(
View attachment 55937

Last edited:
Tks for that link. I remember when I was a young boy that I had a Raleigh bicycle. They seemed to be fairly common. That was before the Japanese were importing their bikes. Huffy was the bike to have. It was rugged and its spokes made orgasmic noises when equipped with a clothes pin and properly attached to your favorite Mickey Mantle rookie baseball card.:(

View attachment 55936
I think we all sacrificed now-valuable cards back in the day to create that sound. Here, we sacrificed our Bobby Orr rookie cards. 😲

Eaton's sold Raleighs (the originals, manufactured in Nottingham) rebadged as Gliders. They came with a decal saying "Endorsed by Gordie Howe". They were almost indestructible. When I compare how much time I spend tweaking our modern bikes, vs. how both my Gliders went for years and years on the same chain and no maintenance, it's impressive.

Mine were both single-speed with coaster brakes. I coveted the 3-speed Sturmey-Archer hub, but it was not to be.

Back