Danica Patrick's Indycar: horsepower advantage?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by racin4ds
LMBO... Danica couldn't drive to save her butt!

Don't recall which Indy 500 race it was, but remember her in the lead with not many laps left, she make a pit stop and then stalled the car (not enough revs) pulling out ... probably cost her the win.

Actually I believe she was "in the lead" .... But off sequence with the others lead lap cars.... She had to pit with less than 10 laps to go.... She finished 4th I believe.. .

She was never going to win that race in all likelihood.

Only a fortunate caution flag and her going into pit and everyone else pitting behind her would have given her even a hope of winning the race. . And alas no caution flag fell.

Originally Posted by bbhero

Don't recall which Indy 500 race it was, but remember her in the lead with not many laps left, she make a pit stop and then stalled the car (not enough revs) pulling out ... probably cost her the win.

Actually I believe she was "in the lead" .... But off sequence with the others lead lap cars.... She had to pit with less than 10 laps to go.... She finished 4th I believe.. .

She was never going to win that race in all likelihood.

Only a fortunate caution flag and her going into pit and everyone else pitting behind her would have given her even a hope of winning the race. . And alas no caution flag fell.

Looks like it was the 2009 Indy 500. Go down to "Race Results" near bottom of the page (link below) and it shows Danica was 2.335 seconds behind the winner. If she wouldn't have stalled the car coming out of the pits, it's possible she could have won the race because she probably lost more than 2.3 seconds due to stalling the car. She would have at least got 2nd place since she was only ~0.4 sec behind Weldon. One critical mistake like stalling the car can cost big time. She would have made ~$250,000 more if placing 2nd instead of 3rd, and nearly $2.3 million more if she would have won (see 2nd link).

I still remember watching that race and it was pretty exciting to watch it all unfold near the end, but did a face palm when Danica stalled the car pulling out of the pit stop. I was hoping that she would win that race because she had the opportunity until the stall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Indianapolis_500

https://www.racing-reference.info/race/2009-04/O

She was not going to win this race either....

Helio led from lap 142 to the end of the race you mention... Super Danica never led late in this race..... Never led in FACT.

In the year she actually "led" late... Like I said... It was due to her being off sequence... I was right about that.

The car was not fast enough to catch those in front of her at the end...

The race I am correct on... Was a couple of years before this one... And that was not mentioned in that post. The year was not specifically made known or mentioned... I was and am correct in the year I was thinking about...

2005 maybe off the top of my head.. .

Last edited:

In 2009... She never led a lap.... . Never... Look at the lap leader report on your page...

Helio led from lap 142-200....

Score one for my memory...

I was right 2005.... Danica led 190-193.... Being off sequence from the other cars... She had to pit... Finished 4th ... Like I said.

Last edited:
Like Buddy Baker said of anyone trying to get a lap back from Ernie Irvan at Rockingham in 1994 spring race... "You'd have to get up awful early in the morning to beat him back to the start finish line to do that".

Same thing here...

My long term memory is still quite quite good.

My short term is shaky some days... Some more than others.. in fact some days candidly my cognitive function has been rather off... And it has honestly scared me... I am having to leave my job in healthcare due to my illness.. . Too many bad days. . Hard to be this way... I am not well enough cognitively to be safe doing the job. . And not been well enough otherwise physically either.. I have a prolonged bad spell from late January until early April only to darn near getting terminated from missing time.. Have not had a rough prolonged bad spell in 3 years... Didn't matter... Bunch of number2 exits in HR and talent management plus others too in upper management. I left on my terms... Not their's.

Crazy though... In a way... Maybe though it's for the best in all reality... I was seriously having a number of rough days cognitively... Probably for the best i guess... Still very, very, very difficult.

It was a very good run though. I am very grateful for that. Met and took care of a lot of great people.. I am very grateful for all of those people. I am grateful and thankful for all I have been able to do. .

Last edited:

In 2009... She never led a lap.... . Never... Look at the lap leader report on your page...

Yeah, like I said it was from memory.

Regardless ... she would have most likely placed better than 3rd if she didn't stall the car and lose all the time she did coming out of the pits.

And what I said was the circumstance....

I was right...

Take it for what it is...

You acted like what I said was wrong. .

I was not...

You were wrong.

And what I said was the circumstance....

I was right...

Take it for what it is...

You acted like what I said was wrong. .

I was not...

You were wrong.

I never said or "acted" like you were wrong ... so why would you even say that. Maybe you need to get out of the house or something.

I dug up the info in those links I posted after my initial post that was from memory. Sue me if I didn't recall the exact details from 11 years ago, lol. I've got my viewpoint on how the race could have ended if she didn't stall the car ... and I stick with it, so what?

PS ... since you brought up the subject of "wrong", you were wrong about what place she finished if you want me to point out something you were wrong about, lol.
laugh.gif

Maybe... But I was right....

About what you said and remembered...

Because I remembered it too....

I don't totally mean to give you a hard time here...

But I know what I was saying was correct...

Why did you bring up 09 then ??

If you didn't think somehow I was off...

Think about it...

I was not off.... I was right...

She led that time late several years before... Out of sequence...

And given that 09 information it proved I was right...

And yes... Maybe I got where she finished wrong... In 2005...

The overall circumstance I was correct about....

That was true...

And for the record she finished 4th in 2005... Again I am right about that part. .

I don't claim to be perfect in everything....

I am certain that I am not...

I also know what I said in that one post is true... My short term memory is off at times to a spooky degree....

And that honestly scares me at times...

Last edited:

Helio led from lap 142-200....

Score one for my memory...

I was right 2005.... Danica led 190-193.... Being off sequence from the other cars... She had to pit... Finished 4th ... Like I said.

This ^^^^^^^^^

Is what I think we both remember....

Her leading late in the 500.. . . .

This is what we both remember.

You and I were on the same page of music so to speak... In remembering that event...

This typing stuff is not the easiest way to figure things out at times
smile.gif

Last edited:
I have played sports... Volleyball and basketball..

And if I hit the volleyball out of bounds... Even if it was not set exactly where I needed 2-2.5 feet off the net ...

It was still my fault. I needed to make a play and keep it in the court...

I had to say/admit many times I made a mistake or wrong play or shot... It happened.

In life too...

I have had to say I'm sorry or wrong many, many, many, many, many times...

I have done that on here as well...

bbhero ... you might want to go back and read it all again. Don't know why you spun off in the weeds saying that I said you were wrong, because I never said that (until you forced me to say (as a friendly jab) that you were wrong about what place you said she placed, lol). I said that she was leading from memory (of a race 11 year ago), but then later said I was wrong after digging up the links I posted and you pointed that out. I then admitted I was wrong, and said so ... go back and read it. So how was that saying what you said was wrong? Anyway, it's not worth being all [censored] off and arguing about.

Stay chilled and be safe ...

bbhero ... you might want to go back and read it all again. Don't know why you spun off in the weeds saying that I said you were wrong, because I never said that (until you forced me to say you were wrong about what place you said she placed, lol). I said "from memory" that she was leading, but then later said I was wrong after digging up the links I posted and you pointed that out. I then admitted I was wrong, and said so ... go back and read it. So how was that saying what you said was wrong? Anyway, it's not worth being all [censored] off and arguing about.

Stay chilled and be safe ...

I ain't honestly mad at all man...
smile.gif

Seriously it is all good.

It's the typing thing to a degree....

And I am sorry... Just me not reading/thinking right...

I'm sorry man.. . Just need to read/ think better.

I am just being very, very direct...

We were on the same page of music...

We both remember her leading late...

True indeed.

Last edited:
Being a smaller, lighter driver has alway been an advantage in Indycar and F1. Besides the weight advantage you also fit much better in a small cramped cockpit. Wouldn't really be an advantage in NASCAR thought, they've had a few Tony Stewart types win the drivers championship over the years.

Like Buddy Baker said of anyone trying to get a lap back from Ernie Irvan at Rockingham in 1994 spring race... "You'd have to get up awful early in the morning to beat him back to the start finish line to do that".

Same thing here...

My long term memory is still quite quite good.

My short term is shaky some days... Some more than others.. in fact some days candidly my cognitive function has been rather off... And it has honestly scared me... I am having to leave my job in healthcare due to my illness.. . Too many bad days. . Hard to be this way... I am not well enough cognitively to be safe doing the job. . And not been well enough otherwise physically either.. I have a prolonged bad spell from late January until early April only to darn near getting terminated from missing time.. Have not had a rough prolonged bad spell in 3 years... Didn't matter... Bunch of number2 exits in HR and talent management plus others too in upper management. I left on my terms... Not their's.

Crazy though... In a way... Maybe though it's for the best in all reality... I was seriously having a number of rough days cognitively... Probably for the best i guess... Still very, very, very difficult.

It was a very good run though. I am very grateful for that. Met and took care of a lot of great people.. I am very grateful for all of those people. I am grateful and thankful for all I have been able to do. .

Read this Zee....

I am sorry. For not reading/thinking about what was going on here in a correct way...

Zee I read just the other day where my illness cause cognitive issues in terms of judgement, executive decision making and short term memory loss, proper prioritizing etc... I didn't read all of that article... Hard to read it knowing it was true in my case.

I am and have been having problems like that too too often in the past six months... .

And I was thinking about this circumstance in a wrong way too. I am sorry for just not processing everything in the right way... And that is my fault no matter what.

I appreciate your last post. And I thank you for it. Hope you have a good day today. Sincerely, Bradley.

^^^ Bradley ... it's OK, all is forgiven. I understand that sometimes everyone here (including me!) doesn't write and read things exactly how they are meant. Don't sweat it, let's keep having good discussions and fun ... that's what it's all about in the end.
grin2.gif

Back