Dana 30 axle 85W140

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam_Julier

$50 Site Donor 2024
I just had the differential rebuilt in our 1993 240 wagon. It's a Dana 30 axle. The shop filled it with 85W-140 GL-5 gear oil and recommends I continue to use it year around, even in New England winters. The diff is noticeably quieter. I've always used 80W-90 GL-5 (meeting the SAE J2360 spec) per the manual.

The wagon is driven on long trips, heavily loaded, and often with lots of mountain passes.

85W-140 seems unnecessarily heavy. But maybe it adds a little extra protection? I'm not sure what to make of this.

Thanks in advance for any comments. Sam

I've run 85w140 and 80w90 in my Jeep's dana 30 and noticed no difference unless it was extremely cold. Then it just seemed more sluggish than normal for a half mile or so.

It will likely add some protection… Since you have had to rebuild it, and you're always heavily loaded, I would say stick with the heavier oil.

depending on the base oils used it may or not be better. my 11 frontier has a nissan-dana 60 + OE is semi syn 75-140 BUT the Dana site specs 75-90 synthetic, theres also a 75-110 for it. i opted for ALL real synthetic Redline lubes + 75-90 in the rear + picked up at least 3 MPG's

Keep the 85W140 for it could be running cooler,since it's quieter as you'd say.
Yes, it's for components protection, and you can kiss goodbye to irritating whines whilst in use.

I run that in the front and rear of my 05 Liberty, no issues, and it was -38F here last winter. Most high end axle makers actually recommend Dino over synthetic and will deny warranty if Dino isn't used. The way I understand it is that in a splash lubricated system, you want something to "stick" better, synthetic flows better and doesn't stick as well, so it doesn't transfer heat as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back