Dan Wheldon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad indeed.

Knew when they had the tarp on the car for so long (incl taking it to the garage) that the fence took the top of the car off.

After seeing these cars going 170-180mph in Baltimore that at those speeds its a big risk. But they love what they do and accept the risks.

I was sorta insulted with ABC's coverage and Eddie Cheever in the booth. Blame game gets real old.

RIP Dan! You did a lot @ 33 years old. 1 Championship, 2 wins at Indy 500 and quite a driver!
thumbsup2.gif

Bill

I was at the race when it happened. We were sitting with Charlie Kimball's family. We all knew it wasn't going to end well when they fired up the medivac helicopter so soon after. The 5 lap tribute after they announced his death was extremely emotional.

I was never really a fan of his, but he always seemed like a genuinely nice guy. It was obvious by all the body language of all the drivers before they announced what had happened that something bad was about to be announced.

Just seems like a bad idea having that many cars at that track.

O and I don't know if they showed it on TV, but when the cars were doing the 5 lap tribute they played "Danny Boy" and "Amazing Grace" with bagpipes over the public address system. I don't think there was a dry eye in the place.

I am a huge race fan of all types. I really believe that most of the tracks over a mile long should be tore up and replaced with a mile or less tracks. This would make the tracks much safer for indy car racing by reducing the speeds to a more reasonable level. It would also much improve the racing for the nascar series where now there are too many 1 1/2 mile tracks where most of the racing is just single file because of the high speeds. Just a thought. Today was another sad day for racing and I believe will cause big changes in the indy car series.

Today was a very sad day indeed....

Dan you'll be missed not only on the track but for the few times we got you watch your infectious smile while being a commentator on Versus.

Here is 11 y/o "Danny" dishing it out with Jenson Button...

Tragedy in Vegas as British racer Wheldon dies after horror 15-car pile-up (from UK Daily Mail)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersp...le-IndyCar.html

English racing driver Dan Wheldon has been killed after a horrific 15-car pile-up in the Las Vegas Indy 300.

Wheldon, from Emberton in Buckinghamshire, was airlifted to hospital after his Dallara-Honda was catapulted through the air and burst into flames as it smashed into a fence following the crash on lap 12 of the race, in which drivers reached speeds of 220mph.

Although 20 doctors fought to save the 33-year-old, he was pronounced dead two hours later. His wife Susie, sons Sebastian (two) and Oliver (seven months) were at his bedside, along with his sister Holly and three brothers.

25smnht.jpg

se27ft.jpg

2n7o684.jpg

20f45s8.jpg

FAN OF ALL MOTOR SPORTS. WAS AND STILL AM A FAN OF DANS. I COULDNT BELEIVE THE NEWS WHEN I HEARED I COULDNT WATCH THE RACE TODAY BUT WAS PULLING FOR HIM STARTING AT THE BACK AND ALL. ALWAYS A BAD DAY WHEN WE LOSE A GREAT RACER AND GREAT GUY.

THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES DAN. GOD BLESS AND GOD SPEED. YOU WILL BE MISSED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back