Damaged or dead Palm trees.

As everyone knows, we had a generational cold event in Texas. Please limit your replies to vegetation damage. What is the prognosis for the palm and citrus trees along the Gulf Coast? I ask because I read conflicting information on line, and would like to hear some real world experiences.

I've seen alot of dead ones in the Houston area.
Maybe, maybe not. Yes some will be dead for sure. Some, I am reading, will appear dead then be able to recover in time. One thing I am reading is do NOT try to fertilize any damaged Palm tree or any other tropical vegetation. The fertilizer actually induces more stress to an already stressed out plant, telling it to "grow" when its not able to. Another thing I am reading is test the trunk in the months to come. If the trunk remains firm, its likely still alive. If the trunk gets soft, its done.

Maybe, maybe not. Yes some will be dead for sure. Some, I am reading, will appear dead then be able to recover in time. One thing I am reading is do NOT try to fertilize any damaged Palm tree or any other tropical vegetation. The fertilizer actually induces more stress to an already stressed out plant, telling it to "grow" when its not able to. Another thing I am reading is test the trunk in the months to come. If the trunk remains firm, its likely still alive. If the trunk gets soft, its done.
I really and truly hope all the palms made it through the freeze.:(

I’m betting they’ll be stunned and produce little to no fruit this season. I’d give them a year or so before making any decisions. 🪓

Most varieties of palm trees will be history with the kind of cold that we experienced. Mature fruit trees should be fine but likely won't produce fruit this year. Young fruit trees might not survive.

Update on this thread - waited 9 months on my last 9 Mexican palms - they did not make it. All cut down.
Had already lost 6 Queens in a freeze that was not as cold/long - so have only two Canary Island palms that came back.

This morning I transplanted a pup from a former Mexican palm - but feel like I only got 70% of the roots …
Should I use a root starter product or not ?

44138A9D-F561-4D70-B936-05A776C4F5A2.jpeg

Last edited:
Back