Damage to my car from body shop....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kitacam's roof was losing it's clear coat and the under paint was crackling...so for it's 2nd anniversary with me I celebrated by giving it a new "rug"...
but...
They had to paint my roof twice after not sanding it smooth enough to remove the crackled OEM paint in spots...you could see the crackling through the black paint and clear coat...

...and they scratched my windshield with grit from the sanding...they deny doing it and I can't prove it...so there's nothing to be done about it...it's minor but sloppy, just like the original prep work.

The 2nd paint job is as good as I had hoped...as good as it should have been the 1st time...but...I still have to look at the scratch on the windshield and every day I'll be reminded of the lack of care taken with Kitacam...and this from a shop my family has dealt with for 20 years...

Happy Birthday Kitacam...

x75nv0.jpg

bSchkr.jpg

Last edited:
She looks great! Brand new even. I have to ask, why black? And if you don't mind posting...how much did this job cost. Was it a good body shop, or a Maaco type place?

Private shop...$300...

Why black? because it complements the tint and the black framing around the doors/windows...and gives the car a lower profile...

...and this...
The black roof and Italian rims help give the car a classy/sporty look to my eye...and differentiates it from the millions of other champagne Camrys in Florida...

I won't name the shop...but I won't recommend them...sloppy work can happen anywhere anytime to anyone...I've made it clear to them that they screwed up...that's all I can do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Private shop...$300...

Why black? because it complements the tint and the black framing around the doors/windows...and gives the car a lower profile...

...and this...
The black roof and Italian rims help give the car a classy/sportier look to my eye...and differentiating it from the millions of other champagne Camrys in Florida...

I won't name the shop...but I won't recommend them...sloppy work can happen anywhere anytime to anyone...I've made it clear to them that they screwed up...that's all I can do.

I think it looks nice. Make sure to keep it protected, black will attract sun like a magnet. That seems like a great price!

Lol...

Wow that black looks great! That's gotta be the nicest Camry I've seen. Sharp car.

And yes that roof will definately get hot, I know... I drive a black car

...I should say that if you were to look close...not even real close...you'd see a few paint chips from others' doors dinging mine....

...and paint loss on the alloy wheels...but I see wheels as work-a-day parts and not cosmetic gloss.

...and then there's the sea of chips to the paint on the leading 12" of hood...the aerodynamics of the Camry begs to be chipped from flying bits of highway and would be pockmarked all over again in a couple of years...

...so I'll just wait for the paint itself to start to fade before repainting the hood...and live with chips all over again.

My previous two cars were black Altimas, so I know hot...but some sacrifices must be made for style!

Last edited:
...I should say that if you were to look close...not even real close...you'd see a few paint chips from others' doors dinging mine....

...and paint loss on the alloy wheels...but I see wheels as work-a-day parts and not cosmetic gloss.

...and then there's the sea of chips to the paint on the leading 12" of hood...the aerodynamics of the Camry begs to be chipped from flying bits of highway and would be pockmarked all over again in a couple of years...

...so I'll just wait for the paint itself to start to fade before repainting the hood...and live with chips all over again.

My previous two cars were black Altimas, so I know hot...but some sacrifices must be made for style!
I'm sure the paint can't be too chipped on the Camry, I'll show you some chips!

This is the hood on the Beetle. It got a new hood in 2006 when it had 20k miles due to a semi truck tire's tread strip smacked the front. The body shop repainted the bumper and painted the new hood and used terrible paint. This is what happens with [censored] black paint in the desert on a car with all interstate miles.

11icqk8.jpg

Private shop...$300...

...and this...
The black roof and Italian rims help give the car a classy/sporty look to my eye...and differentiates it from the millions of other champagne Camrys in Florida...

A shop that does work like that likely uses paint that won't hold up either. This was discussed in another thread but basically finding a shop that does work that will stand the test of time and actually bake the paint is exceedingly difficult and you aren't getting that for $300.00 unfortunately.

Sorry to hear about what happened to your windshield. This is why when people find a good body shop, they stick with it.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

The examples of shoddy workmanship just keeps piling up when it comes to auto repair shops. What a disgraceful business.

Funny how you seem to have problems with EVERY shop you patronize, and I am sure many other businesses too.

I have seen disgraceful work and excellent work. The same can be said for any other industry.

If your attitude in person is anything like your attitude on this board, it's no wonder you have so many negative interactions with other people. That has to be a rough way to go through life.

In Florida, the only roof color that makes sense to me is white.

I like those ford flexes that have the white roofs.

Back in the day, cars were two tone with white roofs for the same reason.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

Funny how you seem to have problems with EVERY shop you patronize, and I am sure many other businesses too.

Yes, just about every AUTO REPAIR SHOP I have dealt with has
either done poor work, is unprofessional, and or been dishonest.

When it comes to other businesses I have had almost NO trouble at all!

Imagine that, I'm as reasonable, and rational a customer you can find. So tell me why is it that ONLY ONE industry seems to have major issues....I suppose I could just have "bad luck" when it comes to my dealings with this one industry, or perhaps MOST of the auto repair shops suck big time....you know most other consumers tend to have similar experiences to mine although many probably don't realize it because they know little about cars and get ripped a new one and have no clue.

Quote:

If your attitude in person is anything like your attitude on this board, it's no wonder you have so many negative interactions with other people. That has to be a rough way to go through life.

My "attitude" is appropriate for the circumstances I encounter.
If you run shady or incompetent operation, I will let you know and we are not talking about honest, occasional mistakes here I take those into account in all my dealings with all businesses.

Not all customers turn tail and run away without letting
bad businesses know it. But as you well know that is what they hope for especially when it comes to auto repair.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Private shop...$300...

...and this...

A shop that does work like that likely uses paint that won't hold up either.

Only time will tell...I was told Kitacam was to get "German" base coat and Dupont clear coat...but I have no way of knowing....other than accepting their word....

If it lasts 5 years I'm good...I'll just repaint it for $300 for another 5 years...that's a 20-year old machine running $250k+ miles...about as long as I'd expect the entire car to last in my hands...

I thought of going with a white top, but black and tan looks much stronger...hotter, yes, but it was a question of sense or style and I went with style...

Kitacam's now the Black and Tan fantasy, THE DUKE!...maybe I should give the Kitacam a new name..."The Duke"...now THAT'S stylin'!

Last edited:

The sad thing is...
I now work for an auto-wholesaler dealership...in customer relations...doing follow-ups (independent of sales) to make sure buyers are happy and that they were treated well...

....and the body shop knows this...if they do a good job, they would get references...if not....well....as I said, sad...

I love the black. Looks different. Looks like you have a full length glass moonroof, from the reflectivity.

Might be different if you get a neighborhood cat leaving paw prints all over it.
lol.gif

I love the black. Looks different. Looks like you have a full length glass moonroof, from the reflectivity.

Might be different if you get a neighborhood cat leaving paw prints all over it.
lol.gif

Private shop...$300...

...and this...

Only time will tell...I was told Kitacam was to get "German" base coat and Dupont clear coat...but I have no way of knowing....other than accepting their word....

If it lasts 5 years I'm good...I'll just repaint it for $300 for another 5 years...that's a 20-year old machine running $250k+ miles...about as long as I'd expect the entire car to last in my hands...

I thought of going with a white top, but black and tan looks much stronger...hotter, yes, but it was a question of sense or style and I went with style...

Kitacam's now the Black and Tan fantasy, THE DUKE!...maybe I should give the Kitacam a new name..."The Duke"...now THAT'S stylin'!

Is KitaCam a "he" or a "she"?
If "she" then "The Duchess"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back