"damage" from road trip through alps and northern italy

20220621_114720.jpg

I got all they have to give. It was a lot of fun but the 1500 mile trip took nearly 1/3rd of the thread. These are Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2, not sure anyone can recognise the thread still. They served me well, NOBODY was faster though the passes and mountain roads. The rears are in a bit better shape. Touched 1.2G in several corners. Very easy to drive tyres, they squeal quite a bit before letting go and they recover grip quickly. First squealing occurs around 1G, less if it's on painted surfaces like road markings.

Got Goodyear eagle F1 assymetric 6 to replace them. Those are likely to be even better with the grip they can generate, but I expect a bit less warning.

the brakes got a workout too:

20220619_063020.jpg

No fade, but they squeal like a stuck pig... it's just what high performance pads do. What temperature does it take to get discs blue like that? It's going back to normal now, didn't use the brakes much on the return trip on the autobahn. they looked more like golden and are very near normal colour now.

Nice! I've left a few grams of rubber on the shoulders of Stelvio Pass over the years. I used to enjoy that drive over the weekends when I would do business in Bozen (Balzano), Italy.

Didn't do stelvio, but there's always another time.

Julier/bernina/ Aprica on the first day, del Bocco on the second day. otherwise mostly mountain roads. on the return trip I went gotthard pass. That one was the only one more horsepower made a difference over my puny 200 hp.

Went away again for another few days in the alps, Switzerland to be precise. The tyres were so done that I changed them out first thing when I got back.

Amazingly (or not...), still gripped fine during a downpour while driven below aquaplaning speeds. It was in the mountains so standing water wasn't an issue.

2x Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 6 235/45R17 Y on the front now, rears I'll fit next week.

Back