Damage before Hydrolock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the talk of sucking things into an engine that aren’t supposed to be there, I was wondering if damage can be done without hydrolocking. Many people will run the car to the edge of stalling, with just too much stuff in the combustion chamber. Can this cause unwanted problems with valves or other things.

I mean, even if it doesn’t bend the rod or crack the piston, the engine is build to only take a certain amount on each compression. Can putting too much in the chamber cause problems?

What do you mean by "stuff"? Water? Extra gas?

I've been off-roading a long time in my beat Jeep. I've seen people hydrolock while crossing water. We pull the plugs, spray whatever we have (WD40, MMO) into the cylinder, crank it over to get the H2O out and then drain/fill the oil if we have it. Most of the time, the engine is fine. Also, most of our wheeling is at 1-2mph which helps, I'm sure.

If you're spinning decent rpm's and suck water in, more than likely, you'll break a connecting rod or something else. Some that roll with carb'd engines also hydrolock with gas which can cause the same damage.

It's the luck of the draw. RPM and engine load have alot to do with with it. The trick is to keep water out, and your rubber side down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back