Dallas DA is nuts!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
supposedly, Italy does the same

Originally Posted by 02SE
Is the DA from Chicago by any chance...

lol.gif
came here for this

So, I am supportive of prosecutors using discretion. "Mandatory this or that" by law removes the justice component

You catch a woman lifting a box of diapers. Would you lock her up for that when her ex husband is 3 years behind on child support and the state/town has done "0" to get him to pay?

If you say "Yes" then, well, that is what the DA might be trying to mitigate.

This stuff always is on a spectrum; Outrageous for some things, perhaps; others not so much;

I see a woman in GA might be jailed because her kid peed in a parking lot..... Hey you do the crime....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BigD1
"Theft of Necessary Items

Creuzot said his office will not prosecute theft cases where the value is under $750 unless the evidence shows the theft was for economic gain.

"Study after study shows that when we arrest, jail, and convict people for non-violent crimes committed out of necessity, we only prevent that person from gaining the stability necessary to lead a law-abiding life. Criminalizing poverty is counter-productive for our community's health and safety," Creuzot said."

That's crazy talk.

TV at Walmart is a necessary Item, lets go pinch it and we are away with it. JHC what the ef is going on in this country.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Announcing it like this will open the flood gates. The stores are not going to take this lying down either.

Plus, this will not stop with the stores. What happens when people raid your cart while on the way out to your car?

Bad idea all around.

Isn't Seattle also not enforcing certain laws to be more friendly to the homeless drug addicted folks...?

Lots of YouTube videos on the destruction of Seattle by all the silly politicians.

Originally Posted by Trav

TV at Walmart is a necessary Item, lets go pinch it and we are away with it. JHC what the ef is going on in this country.

Seen our local news lately?

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
Originally Posted by Trav

Seen our local news lately?

I could tell you but the thread would be locked and I would be banned for life .

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Originally Posted by PimTac
Announcing it like this will open the flood gates. The stores are not going to take this lying down either.

Plus, this will not stop with the stores. What happens when people raid your cart while on the way out to your car?

Bad idea all around.

Isn't Seattle also not enforcing certain laws to be more friendly to the homeless drug addicted folks...?

Lots of YouTube videos on the destruction of Seattle by all the silly politicians.

It is definitely out of hand. Empty parking lots and spaces are filled with tents and shanties. Maybe a mile from me there is a homeless encampment with around 200 residents. Tents, old campers and RVs and so forth. Local law enforcement is very lenient.

Most parks are no go zones.

Originally Posted by Dallas69
Does this mean a thief can come into my home and take necessary items?

No. Burglary is a seperate charge. They'd still prosecute that.

Need to be careful of the slippery slope fallacy.

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
You catch a woman lifting a box of diapers. Would you lock her up for that when her ex husband is 3 years behind on child support and the state/town has done "0" to get him to pay?

There is a difference between using discretion to give a light sentence due to circumstances, and simply refusing to charge anyone who commits a certain crime. All you will end up with is much more theft. And businesses will leave.

I stay away from Dallas proper anyway, Don't venture east of SH-360 unless passing through or it's absolutely necessary!

Stopped for gas in East Grand Prairie on the way home from Kilgore, TX, And a guy attempted to rob me & steal my truck......Only time I've EVER had to Un-holster my pistol with intent to protect myself. This was the mid 90's.

Originally Posted by benhen77
Originally Posted by Dallas69
Does this mean a thief can come into my home and take necessary items?

No. Burglary is a seperate charge. They'd still prosecute that.

Need to be careful of the slippery slope fallacy.

Amen.
It might surprise many who feel the need to carry a weapon everywhere they go, but violent crime in our country has been on a downward trend for more than four decades.
A county DA in Texas is equivalent to a county prosecutor here, so they deal in felony cases.
If this Texas DA is saying that we're not going to bring felony prosecutions for low-level property offenses, I'd say they're on the right track.
We have felonized way to many offenses with the result being that state prison populations are about three times what they were forty years ago.
Time for us to get back to reality and stop putting people on state time on the taxpayer's dime for offenses that shouldn't even be felonies.

I agree with this DA, we lock too many people up for non-violent offenses and then don't have room for people that are a danger to society. It's expensive to keep someone in jail, and prosecuting for stuff like marijuana possession is a real waste. Use those resources on real criminals.

Just more downfall of society, and seems to be a toxic never ending senario.

In Chicago, the prosecutor, Kim Foxx, now says that anything over $1,000 is a felony. It use to be only $300 was a felony.

Originally Posted by dishdude
I agree with this DA, we lock too many people up for non-violent offenses and then don't have room for people that are a danger to society. It's expensive to keep someone in jail, and prosecuting for stuff like marijuana possession is a real waste. Use those resources on real criminals.

How benevolent of you.

So when will you be posting your address, and announcing thieves can come steal everything worth less than $750.00?

Originally Posted by dishdude

I agree. Violent criminals need to be locked up for longer periods. Major cities like, Chicago, Baltimore, New Orleans, Miami, Detroit, Newark, ect... have rising violent crime rates. Jails and prison only have so much room and the Judges have to make the tough choices as to who to lock up. Would you rather have the armed robber walking the streets or someone who smokes marijuana??

Nyc brought down crime by prosecuting the small crimes in the ‘90s. Now they are going the other way and violent crime is going up.

Aw, come on. Who could possibly be against free stuff?!? In all seriousness, those ultimately victimized most by not prosecuting smaller crimes are the poor themselves. When business in poor areas suffer, prices go up and/or businesses close or leave. The free market will take care of this, like it usually does. Those believing they are championing for the poor are actually making their lives worse and increasing the number of poor. Oh yeah, and they often times are enriching themselves while doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back