Dakota fuel pump

If the video works below.. I'm fairly confident it's the drain back on the fuel pump. Once the engine is running the pressure is around 50. Can't just replace the drain back so it'll be the whole pump. If it was a injector would r think it would be as quick, probably even hydrolock.

Since I've acquired the Dakota it takes a long time to start. At least two cranks and 10-15 seconds. Starting to get old so want to fix it.

Mods can you move this to the mechanical forum? Darn phone!

If it's like my Jeep you can replace the pressure regulator which is also the antidrain thing. Unfortunately you just remove the fuel tank to do that so you might as well put a whole assembly in it.

If it's like my Jeep you can replace the pressure regulator which is also the antidrain thing. Unfortunately you just remove the fuel tank to do that so you might as well put a whole assembly in it.
Yeah the same with the Dakota. Might as well just replaced the whole pump. Price difference is t that much.

An easy way to help tell if it is the regulator is to turn the key to run but don't start the engine. Wait 15 or 20 seconds and if it starts right up it
is a good indication the regulator is bad. Another test is if the fuel pressure gauge drops below 30 psi within 5 minutes or less after shutting off the engine the regulator is bad. Seems I remember from when I had my 2001 Dakota a lot of guys on the Dodge forums were replacing their fuel pump at around 100 to 120,000 miles. I did mine at about 125,000. On my truck the regulator was part of the entire fuel pump assembly.

An easy way to help tell if it is the regulator is to turn the key to run but don't start the engine. Wait 15 or 20 seconds and if it starts right up it
is a good indication the regulator is bad. Another test is if the fuel pressure gauge drops below 30 psi within 5 minutes or less after shutting off the engine the regulator is bad. Seems I remember from when I had my 2001 Dakota a lot of guys on the Dodge forums were replacing their fuel pump at around 100 to 120,000 miles. I did mine at about 125,000. On my truck the regulator was part of the entire fuel pump assembly.
Sometimes I can cycle the key a few times and it'll start quicker. I think once air gets in the line doesn't matter how long the pump runs. It does misfire for about a minute most times. At 100k now but it's did it since at least 89k, but it's 22 years old now. It drops almost to zero within 15 seconds so fails that test.

Back