Daimler Trucks chairman says EV powertrains take fewer people to build

I didn’t read the article. Ad block pop up.

One would think that automation plus the outsourcing of battery packs and drives would be the biggest reasons for less labor?

Looking at the ev motor tear downs, plus the charger, inverter, cooling system, battery, plus more, I would say he is wrong.

EVs have far few moving parts in the drivetrain. I don't know much about other makes, but a Tesla Model 3 has like 17 moving parts in the drivetrain as compared to hundreds in a similar ICE vehicle's drivetrain.

Every product has a lifecycle. Of course, there will be no abrupt end to the internal combustion engine. That will ease the blow to the ICE workforce.

EVs have far few moving parts in the drivetrain. I don't know much about other makes, but a Tesla Model 3 has like 17 moving parts in the drivetrain as compared to hundreds in a similar ICE vehicle's drivetrain.

Every product has a lifecycle. Of course, there will be no abrupt end to the internal combustion engine. That will ease the blow to the ICE workforce.
You've seen the Tesla motor tear down on Weber auto I assume, what a beast to make. Then there is still a differential.

Only reading what is your blurb--"will lead to thousands of job losses at the company's German powertrain plants ..." It's Daimler losing jobs at a German plant, not necessarily industry wide job cuts. Without any other info, for all I know is that jobs are shifting around. No more engine assembly but still have to assemble an electric motor.

Back