Daily driver a: Beater, Good ride, awesome ride?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos
My '06 V6 Accord EX-L. Have XM, so any kind of music and talk for any kind of mood I'm in. Heated seats for comfort and a V6, which is a necessity for the traffic I have to deal with. It's kill or be killed some days and sometimes you'll need to go 0-85 in under 8 seconds or do the reverse (for which I have good brakes).

All you need is a big, stinky, slow pickup truck with a giant trailer hitch, gunrack in the window, and a multi-colored, faded, dented, rusty body that says "I dare you tailgate me, cut me off, or try to intimidate me because you think I'm the cause of all your problems. I probably don't have insurance, and I definitly do not care if your shiny little roadrage mobile gets smashed up. And I have guns."

Wait, is my Camry a beater?
grin2.gif

One mans beater is another mans awesome ride.

My car is Wabi-sabi - term is used for items that have worn and decayed from use, somewhat gracefully, still functional and useful.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
grin2.gif

Do you remember where you bought those hubcaps? Had one fall off the Matrix last night in the bad weather. Maybe the tire rotation I had done Wednesday had something to do with it. But have had issues with that one in the past.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
All you need is a big, stinky, slow pickup truck with a giant trailer hitch, gunrack in the window, and a multi-colored, faded, dented, rusty body that says "I dare you tailgate me, cut me off, or try to intimidate me because you think I'm the cause of all your problems. I probably don't have insurance, and I definitly do not care if your shiny little roadrage mobile gets smashed up. And I have guns."

Love this. It's possible all that was true at some point. I used a $600 Olds as a DD once. Got 40k miles out of it.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
grin2.gif

Do you remember where you bought those hubcaps? Had one fall off the Matrix last night in the bad weather. Maybe the tire rotation I had done Wednesday had something to do with it. But have had issues with that one in the past.
They came with the Camry. I've broken two of them hitting curbs (slow in parking lot) so I only have them on the drivers side, you know, to class it up
crackmeup2.gif

I think Walmart sells them:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/4-pc-NEW-Univ...s-Cap/141182285

My 2002 Ranger is my daily driver and I would have to call it a beater. I have had it for 10 years, and it was essentially perfect when I got it with less than 50K on the odo, but not so much now. I wrecked it a couple years after I bought it with only liability insurance, and intended to fully repair it "sometime," but never have. Now it has 211K on it and just keeps going. Still a great, reliable truck, just rough looking all over now. After wrecking it I didn't fret over putting a dent in it or anything. I have scraped poles and trees intentionally to get it through tight spots, I let it get dirty, I eat in it, etc. It is still reasonably well maintained, but I don't put a lot of effort or money into it. I definitely don't maintain it to the degree I would if it looked nice, but I don't really want to replace it either, so I keep it up well enough.

Mine is still the 2006 Cobalt owned since 2008 (that's a long time to be stuck in a GM compact
wink.gif
) But even with all the quirks it has, it has never let me down (just been annoying!) Plans are to have it stuck around until it either rusts away or blows, as I need a winter beater in the crazy state....

I don't really have a daily driver per say since I use a company van during the week. Good weather the GTI and Camry are the "daily drivers", bad weather the Jeep and S10 are. The S10 is the beater of the group, it's in halfway decent shape though. There is a hole in the rocker, but that's the only rust per say. I can park it anywhere I want it and not worry. Something in my way? Hah, I'll just run it over, lol. Slower than a snail with a, well nevermind, but it starts everytime I need it to. It might be 2wd, but with a Detroit style locker and 300lbs of sand in the back it's a beast in bad weather. The locker makes in town driving horrible, all the clanking and banging, but it adds character. I have to warn the guys at the shop during inspection it's gonna clank around.

I would put my Y2K Mustang GT in the "good ride" category. I've always liked fixing up cars and got this cheap because it was wrecked. It's now back to 100% and is my daily driver with 112,000 miles on it.

My daily driver would be my Baja in signature. Car has 89,xxx miles on it and still runs like a champ. Soon gonna need a clutch replacement though. Bought the Jetta in signature brand new and would like to hold on to it for a long long time also. Point being with the Jetta -- its probably my weekend car only or attending special events.

Dale

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Having a nice car and not driving it is, in my opinion, like saving your supermodel wife for the next guy.

Lol, that's how I view it as well.
I know a guy that would rent out a minivan for holiday trips, saving his own minivan, Ford Windstar of all vehicles, which blew a head gasket anyway.

lol.gif

Those things were notorious for head gasket and trans failures!

I think Walmart sells them:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/4-pc-NEW-Univ...s-Cap/141182285

I see a Pontiac Vibe on CL being sold for parts because of an accident. It has oem wheel covers so I'll probably shoot him a text/offer for one of them. Then prob use a black sharpie to blacken out the Pontiac insignia.
smile.gif

I do see a generic one on a hub cap site. It's the same design as the current ones minus the Toyo logo for $28. Supposed to have a better retention system. Sure beats buying a new oem wheel. Between mounting and a new wheels would be hundreds. Prob $300 easy.

Maybe send him a text for $5 and see what he says. Or trade him 2 qts. of Pennzoil Ultra 5w20 that I have left over.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
grin2.gif

Love the spoiler Nick, definitely not a beater because of that
thumbsup2.gif
!
I bought that thing on eBay for like $0.75. Has 3m tape. It’s survived freeway speeds and the car wash a bunch of times. It won’t fall off!

[/quote] I bought that thing on eBay for like $0.75. Has 3m tape. It’s survived freeway speeds and the car wash a bunch of times. It won’t fall off!

Ah, that's what that is--I saw it but couldn't figure it out. I should get one too.

For a while someone at work had a Prius, and had a "TURBO" badge stuck on under the Prius badge in the rear. Eons ago I had a SOHC Isuzu pickup, and on one fender, below the badge, I had Edelbrock cam sticker--while on the other side I used a Crane cam sticker.

Wife and my daily drivers are the newer Accord and the newer Forester in my sig.
Surely not awesome but certainly good rides.
I have never put my wife in a beater but I've daily driven one many times myself.
As long as a vehicle runs reliably and doesn't need constant attention it's then okay in my book.
We're at a point now where we could easily buy and sell most of the other drivers we see on the road and we've never felt the need to impress anyone with an easily purchased possession.
Almost anything is entertaining to drive in its own way if you actually enjoy driving and are reasonably good at it.

07 tundra, owned since new. At 11 years old, it still looks great in and out. Runs great with 159500 miles. I still consider it a nice ride. No plan on getting rid of it anytime soon.

Wifes in a 2013 rav4, owned since new. Runs great, looks good, 61K. She's keeping it until it is a full ten years old, minimum. I think it is a nice ride.

I'm not into buying new cars every few years, or buying something not reliable. I want to retire early, so I buy and hold, never lease.

Oil related, both use 0w20 oil.

Originally Posted By: supton
I bought that thing on eBay for like $0.75. Has 3m tape. It’s survived freeway speeds and the car wash a bunch of times. It won’t fall off!

Ah, that's what that is--I saw it but couldn't figure it out. I should get one too.

For a while someone at work had a Prius, and had a "TURBO" badge stuck on under the Prius badge in the rear. Eons ago I had a SOHC Isuzu pickup, and on one fender, below the badge, I had Edelbrock cam sticker--while on the other side I used a Crane cam sticker.
Here's a link to them for $1. I think I'll get a couple more. I'll put one on my mom's Jeep Patriot and see how long until she notices it's there
grin2.gif

LINK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back