Daily driver a: Beater, Good ride, awesome ride?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 83 Silverado that I bought new in June 83 when I was in the NAVY, been my daily driver since
thumbsup2.gif

My beaters where the now sold '95 Accent(some rust, former neglected smoker car) and '04 Elantra (no rust, 1 trans rebuild).

My daily driver is now my 10 years old, 64k miles, '08 Toyota Yaris sedan base: no rust, some scratches from a pair of doves who decided to make a nest, and winter shoes.

The good ride/dedicated vacationeer is the '13 Mazda5: replaced back bumper, repainted front hood, new Nokian shoes, replaced front windshield, ac now works.

Awesome ride would be ..... let's not jinx.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
My Camry is a beater. It was totaled a couple years ago and I stuck a taillight on it and kept driving it. Has been sitting for a year now. Would get in it and drive to New York without hesitation though.

The Sonata (my DD) is dirty at this moment, I need to give it a good detail, it's in good shape otherwise.

The Jeep is in pretty good shape as well. Hard to place it on that scale though.

Which is the best cookie maker?

Originally Posted By: Malo83
My 83 Silverado that I bought new in June 83 when I was in the NAVY, been my daily driver since
thumbsup2.gif

Nice square! Details?

I have an '87. It was my first vehicle - bought it at 16 in 1999.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman
What do you consider your daily driver to be?

I consider my 2003 Grand Marquis a beater due to rust and scratches etc.

My Civic is my daily driver. The 1er is my summer only car, just puts down too much power for daily driving.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
Currently, my daily driver is my 2009 Suburban. I like it a lot. I keep it nice and enjoy driving it. I'm planning a fresh engine without that cylinder cancelling trash. Maybe even add a little steam.

You can deactivate AFM with a simple flash tune.

Cheaper than a tune-

https://rangetechnology.com/

I try not to drive anything too expensive in New York. Between the potholes and road salt, you're going to get slammed by buying a new car (I'm talking over 30k) and driving it year-round.

My last daily driver cost 20k 11 years ago. It's getting a bit long in the tooth, so I bought a secondary vehicle for less than 6k. The car has snow tires, the truck on/off tires with 4x4. Both meticulously maintained since new.

My dd 99 Tahoe is a beater. Little bit of rust and a dent but it drives like new. The old 350 has enough power with the 3.73 gears. Getting 16 mpg right now. Will go up with warmer weather.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
My Camry is a beater. It was totaled a couple years ago and I stuck a taillight on it and kept driving it. Has been sitting for a year now. Would get in it and drive to New York without hesitation though.

The Sonata (my DD) is dirty at this moment, I need to give it a good detail, it's in good shape otherwise.

The Jeep is in pretty good shape as well. Hard to place it on that scale though.

Which is the best cookie maker?
Ha! The Jeep has too narrow of a dash and the paint is white, so it wouldn’t get as hot.

Camry is maroon and the Sonata light blue. Sonata would probably be best, it has a black dash.

I’ll have to see what else I can cook this summer..

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Thats a very nice Porsche 911.

It's alright. The front is fairly sandblasted and it has it's fair share of dings. Driver's seat has a popped seam.

Looks good from 10 feet and it's mine; that's all I need!

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
My favorite beater so far is my semi-retired 2001 Subaru Forester. It currently has 400K on it and has hauled more stuff and done more than any vehicle i have owned. I bought it as a worn out sales vehicle for $150 and gave it a new life hauling parts and going back and forth to work and also long trips. The fit and finish of the interior is amazing for what it is. It is rusting some around the wheel wells but that is my fault for not ever washing it.

I have tried to replace it with a 4runner which i sold and now a Honda Fit which i am planning on selling.

If i had a time machine i would go back in time and buy that Forester new and drive it proudly.

That's quite impressive! I thought that era was the bad HG era?

Yes thats why i got it for $150. I actually bought 2 from the same fleet, the other also $150. I think when i got it, it had 285K on it, the speedometer was not working so it could have had more miles than that. I gave the other Subaru as trade to one of my mechanics to do my head gaskets and fix all the other issues. Mine and his both had the original timing belts. I replaced mine, he didnt.

Since i bought it i have done front axles, both worn out. Struts were also worn out, and done 3 wheel bearings. The coil pack cracked while i was driving it one day but it still got me home. The front catalytic converter clogged up on me and i removed it.

The gas is old in it now because i almost never drive it..but i bet i could put a wine glass on top of the engine and it wouldnt budge.

I have been meaning to sell it for 2 years now but i just cant let it go.

For a daily commuter, I require, reliable, comfortable, reasonable MPG. My Fusion hits those notes and has extra power on tap when I want it. Depending on traffic lights I get around 25MPG

My Falcon is a beater, perfect for supermarket car parks - plenty of dents, faded paint, but well maintained, everything works and still decent to drive.

My Fiesta is a nice daily. It is the closest thing to a nice/luxury car that I care to have. It is seriously quiet inside, has more gizmos and blueteeth than I know what to do with, and the ride/handling is very well tuned. I would really be happy with a clapped out Volvo 240 with 300K miles. Sometimes I feel bad for driving a new car. Anyone want to buy a Fiesta?

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Originally Posted By: Kira

Awesome ride? How can one determine awesome?

I would consider something new awesome. Or something older that is in excellent condition.

Meh...a new Corolla is hardly awesome. It's a good ride.

Awesome is an unusual car. RooflessVW's Porsche is awesome. A high-performance car. Popped seam and dings notwithstanding, he's driving a 911 every day. That's awesome.

But a new Camry? New Accord?

Nah...nice cars, but they fall short of "Awesome"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Yes thats why i got it for $150....
The gas is old in it now because i almost never drive it..but i bet i could put a wine glass on top of the engine and it wouldnt budge.
I have been meaning to sell it for 2 years now but i just cant let it go.

Oh, come on,
That's when the fun starts....

At 400k+ you're not afraid of any parking dings and you can watch the "aggressive drivers in traffic" with a crazy smirk.

It could became a game of "make-it-to-500k" if your time permits...

My '06 V6 Accord EX-L. Have XM, so any kind of music and talk for any kind of mood I'm in. Heated seats for comfort and a V6, which is a necessity for the traffic I have to deal with. It's kill or be killed some days and sometimes you'll need to go 0-85 in under 8 seconds or do the reverse (for which I have good brakes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back