Daily driver a: Beater, Good ride, awesome ride?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 99 Jeep WJ is my daily. 182,000 miles and it runs like new. Heated leather seats and all. Gets over 20mpg freeway. Yeah it's old but far from a beater.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
Currently, my daily driver is my 2009 Suburban. I like it a lot. I keep it nice and enjoy driving it. I'm planning a fresh engine without that cylinder cancelling trash. Maybe even add a little steam.

You can deactivate AFM with a simple flash tune.

My wife and I's DD's are what are in my sig. I have the Jeep, she has the Durango. We wouldn't hold onto vehicles we didn't enjoy driving.

My favorite beater so far is my semi-retired 2001 Subaru Forester. It currently has 400K on it and has hauled more stuff and done more than any vehicle i have owned. I bought it as a worn out sales vehicle for $150 and gave it a new life hauling parts and going back and forth to work and also long trips. The fit and finish of the interior is amazing for what it is. It is rusting some around the wheel wells but that is my fault for not ever washing it.

I have tried to replace it with a 4runner which i sold and now a Honda Fit which i am planning on selling.

If i had a time machine i would go back in time and buy that Forester new and drive it proudly.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
My favorite beater so far is my semi-retired 2001 Subaru Forester. It currently has 400K on it and has hauled more stuff and done more than any vehicle i have owned. I bought it as a worn out sales vehicle for $150 and gave it a new life hauling parts and going back and forth to work and also long trips. The fit and finish of the interior is amazing for what it is. It is rusting some around the wheel wells but that is my fault for not ever washing it.

I have tried to replace it with a 4runner which i sold and now a Honda Fit which i am planning on selling.

If i had a time machine i would go back in time and buy that Forester new and drive it proudly.

That's quite impressive! I thought that era was the bad HG era?

06 Acura TSX 6-speed manual.

Very good beater. It has 230k miles but still runs great, gets 27mpg, and is more agile than most on my 55 mile one-way backroads commute. Very reliable, too. The only thing that makes me think of replacing it is the allure of new car features and fuel economy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
Currently, my daily driver is my 2009 Suburban. I like it a lot. I keep it nice and enjoy driving it. I'm planning a fresh engine without that cylinder cancelling trash. Maybe even add a little steam.

You can deactivate AFM with a simple flash tune.

I know, Thanks. I also want to replace the AFM lifters and use that top plate that blocks the oil passages for it. Right now, I keep it off by driving around in M5.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain
anything that gets me to work and I don't give a rip how it looks

+1
I currently use public transit

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72

I agree with Kris, and have an 01 Forester as well. Mine is not nearly broken in as well at only 221k, but I also wouldn't quite call it a "beater" yet. It's not "fast", but it is fun to toss around, and especially in the snow it's a blast- since it's manual, it's a 50/50 split all the time. About the only downside I've had is the gearing is so dang short- 75mph has the engine running around 3200rpm, at which point the PCV is working overtime as long highway drives are the only time it uses any oil. I'd buy ANY Forester brand new, and it will probably be my next vehicle purchase as well.

My DD, not perfect just a very good ride; almost there is nothing else on the market for what it is that justifies its replacement, so I’m holding on it indefinitely

The wife and mine are the two Honda's below...I got the 06 with 140K, she has the '14 with 98K.

"Beater" isn't a term I'd use, partly because I'm not American, mostly because it implies abuse.

Its a "banger", and the Worst looking car I've had.

Whenever I have abused machinery, I've felt bad about it afterwards, so I don't do it, or at least not deliberately.

My 03 Marauder is my daily and my beater. 220k miles and looks like [censored]. But it's drop dead reliable, incredibly comfortable, and never let's me down. A\c is ice cold. Burns no oil. I love it.

I might be buying a 2005 Elantra for $150 that will probably take over beater duty soon. Can't wait to drive a manual again.

My DD is the 2 Series; my wife's is the i3 unless there is snow/ice- that's what the Clubman is for. Weather permitting I take the Club Sport at least once or twice a week and I drive the Jeep every few days as well. Still, the 2er and the i3 see the most use.

Most people would consider my daily driver 240sx to be a beater. Its almost 26 years old, 275,000+ miles, the drivers seat is looking a bit worn, it has rust bubbling up the paint above the rear tires and on the rocker panels, and can almost out-accelerate most 4 cyl and some V6 minivans, but I like everything about it. I bought it for $3600 nearly 18 years ago and its been driven almost every single day since. From 30-40 feet away it looks like its only a few years old. Up close, not so much...its starting to look like a beater.

My wife asks me all the time, dont you want a newer car? Miata, 370z convertible, something a little less worn out? Mmmm, nope. What for?.....This one still puts a smile on my face every day.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Having a nice car and not driving it is, in my opinion, like saving your supermodel wife for the next guy.

Lol, that's how I view it as well.
I know a guy that would rent out a minivan for holiday trips, saving his own minivan, Ford Windstar of all vehicles, which blew a head gasket anyway.

I have a 2002 Buick Lesabre that is my winter beater. It is so nice having a car you don't have to worry about. Saves the wear and tear of the salt, pot holes and cold weather on my nice car. Keeps the miles low also.

My Camry is a beater. It was totaled a couple years ago and I stuck a taillight on it and kept driving it. Has been sitting for a year now. Would get in it and drive to New York without hesitation though.

The Sonata (my DD) is dirty at this moment, I need to give it a good detail, it's in good shape otherwise.

The Jeep is in pretty good shape as well. Hard to place it on that scale though.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
My 99 Jeep WJ is my daily. 182,000 miles and it runs like new. Heated leather seats and all. Gets over 20mpg freeway. Yeah it's old but far from a beater.

Beautiful WJ. Used to have a 99 myself! It was a black on tan Laredo with Selec Trac. Bought it new and then traded it in 3 years later with 47,000 on it. Still kicking myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back