Daily Driven Pontiac G8 GT (Motul 300V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smoother valvetrain it is!
laugh.gif

Who said anything about faster RPMs :p lol
Dparm i guess ill just check the oil after 5000km and see how its doing.
But I think it would be safer to have it changed after ~5000km

Hey guys!
Just a little update, I am noticing that my valveterain noises has increased. Not sure why this is happening.
I have replaced my thermostat with a 160 degree to pull some extra timinig.
You guys think I should go ahead and use a thicker oil? Something like the Motul X-clean 5w-40 dexos2 certified?

Looking forward to hear from all you gurus
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: MarioSS
Hey guys!
Just a little update, I am noticing that my valveterain noises has increased. Not sure why this is happening.
You guys think I should go ahead and use a thicker oil? Something like the Motul X-clean 5w-40 dexos2 certified?

laugh.gif

I must have missed it, what thermostat did it have in it before? running a cooler T-stat will ADD timing, not remove it.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Hey guys!

laugh.gif

I must have missed it, what thermostat did it have in it before? running a cooler T-stat will ADD timing, not remove it.

Sorry for not mentioning it before :p
It had the stock Tstat which is 187 degrees.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Hey guys!

laugh.gif

Sorry for not mentioning it before :p
It had the stock Tstat which is 187 degrees.

I'd put that back in. Running the engine too cold encourages wear and deposit build up.

You've also effectively ADDED timing, as timing is retarded as temperature increases usually. Though on vehicles with a knock sensor, that's sort of a dynamic process.

I'd put that back in. Running the engine too cold encourages wear and deposit build up.

You've also effectively ADDED timing, as timing is retarded as temperature increases usually. Though on vehicles with a knock sensor, that's sort of a dynamic process. [/quote]

Hi Mario SS,

This is absolutely correct.
I would put the original t/stat back in.

Hey guys!

laugh.gif

Hi MarioSS,

I was thinking you could go to a thicker oil, or try the Motul 8100 like i said earlier. Actually it's one other reason why i recommended it, but never thought it could be an issue for you.
I think it's time to prioritise and get your oil sorted out before you play around with anything else.
Not trying to complicate things, but IMO you also need to be looking for an oil that has a fair amount of boron in it to help keep the valvetrain quiet.
Of course if it's not the oil that's causing the noisy valvetrain, then you may have a mechanical problem.

You are in unchartered teritory.
Can you get any other oil brands if you look around?
Can you get Shell oil?
If so, then Shell ADVANCE ULTRA 4 10W-40 motorcycle oil could be good to try?
Alternately a good quality mineral oil should work out for you as long as it's not left in there too long. UOA will validate it's serviceability.

Regards,
Brad

Originally Posted By: Ducman

You've also effectively ADDED timing, as timing is retarded as temperature increases usually. Though on vehicles with a knock sensor, that's sort of a dynamic process.

Hi Mario SS,

This is absolutely correct.
I would put the original t/stat back in.[/quote]

Appreciate your input Brad
smile.gif

Ill have to talk to my tuner before i re-install my stock thermostat.
Regarding the oil Motul is one of the best brands available here locally. Our market is kinda small and doesn't have that variety of brands.

You think ill by fine by switch to X-clean 5w40 Dexos2 certified? as far is i know dexos2 is made for diesel engines but it also can be used in gasoline engines?

Once more thanks for all your input guys! i really appreciate it

Originally Posted By: Clevy
The 300v is awesome stuff and if you can get that cheap that would be my first choice for sure.

It sure does seem that all 300v line is an amazing product!
I might also consider going to the 300v 5w 40 this time.

Will have to see what our folks here suggest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back