Dad's Honda Accord got a much-needed detail

A car that hardly receives any love after I stopped driving it git a well-needed detail. Used meguiars products and car-pro Iron Decon to make this gem shine and be protected against snow and salt. Took me 5 hours to do everything by hand. Just for it to rain Friday :)

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg

Nice job,next to get it ready for winter,like fluids,filters,wipers,brakes,tires,battery etc etc. coat of wax. Detail interior,vacuum,floor mats to clean.That's why I'm busy lately,done 5 cars of our family,more with friends and relatives too.Nice weather for it.

Nice job,next to get it ready for winter,like fluids,filters,wipers,brakes,tires,battery etc etc. coat of wax. Detail interior,vacuum,floor mats to clean.That's why I'm busy lately,done 5 cars of our family,more with friends and relatives too.Nice weather for it.
I put 2 layers of wax so it'll be okay. Fluids and stuff one the techs at my job checked when I had the alignment done. 100k is when the sparkplugs are due, coolant, and transmission fluid again and we should be good to go for another 100k hopefully. Cars sitting at 85k right now.

Now this is a bit off topic but, the Hondas is started to rust and there's some other blemishes (obviously cant see it in the pictures above) but he's torn between getting all the blemishes including the rust fixed for $1k(repaint front bumper, passenger side rear door has a dent in it bondo and repaint, fix rust and repaint rear bumper) the guy said he'll grind the rust down, apply anit-rust or whatever and paint over it. Everyone knows the rust will come back soon or later. I'd go this route if we plan on selling the car.

Or pay someone else $2k to properly fix all the blemishes. If we plan on keeping the car. If he fixes everything for $1k we can sell the car (on the street) for roughly $12k-$15k.

A newer car would roughly run about $25k~

What would you guys recommend? I mean, the car runs and drives fine. Just the rust. I personally wouldn't do anything. If we cut the rust out, weld new metal and what have you won't the rust just reappear?
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
5.jpg

I would sand it and paint it myself, knowing it will be an annual process. After the paint dries, soak with Fluid film behind the rust. This is what I’ll be doing to my wife’s minivan, which should have some rust bubbles opening up after this winter.

I’ve filled the cavities that are rust prone with Fluid Film every year to keep the rust at bay, but these pustules started the winter after I bought it, before any application.

It would be a wast of money to put much more than the price of sandpaper and a rattle can into it, in my opinion.

Good luck which ever way you go!

I would sand it and paint it myself, knowing it will be an annual process. After the paint dries, soak with Fluid film behind the rust. This is what I’ll be doing to my wife’s minivan, which should have some rust bubbles opening up after this winter.

I’ve filled the cavities that are rust prone with Fluid Film every year to keep the rust at bay, but these pustules started the winter after I bought it, before any application.

It would be a wast of money to put much more than the price of sandpaper and a rattle can into it, in my opinion.

Good luck which ever way you go!

I took the car to two body shops. One said there are no holes so he'll sand the rust down, apply rust proofing and repaint the rocker panel. Other guy said he'll cut that rusted metal, weld new metal, and repaint the whole panel. Obviously, first one is the cheaper option but I am afraid the rust will come back. 2nd option same thing, rust could come back.

Well, it looks like he's deciding to fix it. I got a quote of $1400 to cut the metal from the rusting rocker panel and weld new sheet metal. The other side is also starting to rust a bit. So, we'll be doing the same to the other side. Also getting the rear bumper repainted along with getting the door fixed and then having both doors blended to match the paint. The body shop said there is no guarantee the rust won't come back. It can come back in 1 year, 2 years, or 3 years.

How old is this Honda? Honda UK cover body panels from inside to outside rust for 12 years! I don’t know about Honda USA but surely it’s worth finding out

How old is this Honda? Honda UK cover body panels from inside to outside rust for 12 years! I don’t know about Honda USA but surely it’s worth finding out
2013. 5 year unilinted miles. What car is going to rust in 5 years?

Just goes to show too many people buy Honda in the USA so warranty is garbage. People don’t buy them here because of rust so they give us 12 years unlimited miles.

Just goes to show too many people buy Honda in the USA so warranty is garbage. People don’t buy them here because of rust so they give us 12 years unlimited miles.
Well, it's either my dad spends $1,400 and fixes the whole car(no guarantee on the rust, that can come back), or I can try getting him $11.5k on a trade (doesn't have to fix a thing) and see if I can get a 2023 Toyota Camry LE/SE for $1k above invoice (I work for a dealership that's got 3 Toyota dealers in the group). So, either he can get a new car for $18k otd or fixes the Accord. Up to him

Last edited:
Depends on his budget. On my budget I would spend the $1400 plus fluid film inside the rockers, and get a few more years service from the Accord. $1400 for cosmetics for a few more years isn't much, considering the price of a new car.

Depends on his budget. On my budget I would spend the $1400 plus fluid film inside the rockers, and get a few more years service from the Accord. $1400 for cosmetics for a few more years isn't much, considering the price of a new car.
That's what I was thinking. Cars only got 85k miles on it. I'll tell the body shop guy to spray fluid film in the rockers when he welds the new metal piece. Hopefully, the paint matches.

Your Dad's Honda still looks decent for its age, and wouldn't take a lot to fix the blemishes. For my own cars, if it looks good I'm more willing to fix the odd thing here and there and keep it as miles are accumulating.

Back