Dad with ST synthetic vs daughter with Motrcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walmart finally got a shipment of Motorcraft 5w30 in. As my 9 year old daughter Lindsey loaded 5 quarts into the nasket I found the Super Tech ST16 filter but then I was drawn to the big grey jugs of Super Tech 5w30 full synthetic sitting so seductively under the $11.88 smiley face sign.Some quick foot stomping math told me the difference in price was $4.78 between the two. That's barely a meal at Mcdonalds.My daughter said no, we should stick with what the guys said on the website (BITOG) and besides the big jug is too heavy for her to pour the oil into the engine. That's her job on oil change day. Anyway I won.Even helped her put the MC back on the shelves.The question I have is: the label says formulated using "100% synthetic base oils and a high performance additive system." What exactly does this mean and do I owe my daughter and several members on this forum an appology? I long for the pre BITOG days when it was Fram/Valvoline for the Blazer and Motorcraft/Motorcraft for the Grand Marquis.
worshippy.gif

Base oils would be Group III severely hydrofinished synthetic lube stocks (maybe some ester, too). The additive package would consist of VIIs, ZDDP, moly, detergents/dispersants, etc. While the base oils of the finished product would be synthetic, in all probability the additive package is dissolved in a minimal volume of Group I oil as the carrier as shipped to the blender by the supplier.

Did you read the back of the Motorcraft bottle?

"Formulated with our synthetic/hydrocracked base oils......"

I think the Motorcraft is good enough that you spent $4.78 too much for an equivalent product.

Daughter was just trying to save you some money.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Of the two, I probably would have stayed with the MC. Those UOA's are just simply kicking some gluteous maximus. You should always listen to the women, if they ain't happy, you ain't going to be happy
grin.gif

I was under the impression that only the 20wt motorcraft is the blended $ynth. Since you grabbed the 5w30, I would think that the supertech will be just as good or better. But, only a UOA comparison between the two would justify the extra money spent.

Have there been any bad supertech synth UOAs?

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000209

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001083

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000067

quote:

Originally posted by unDummy:
I was under the impression that only the 20wt motorcraft is the blended $ynth. Since you grabbed the 5w30, I would think that the supertech will be just as good or better. But, only a UOA comparison between the two would justify the extra money spent.

Have there been any bad supertech synth UOAs?

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000209

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001083

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000067

I'm sure the SuperTech is fine, but yes the Motorcraft 5-30 is also hydrocracked. The synthetic/hydrocracked wording is on the 5W-30 containers also.

I'm sure Wally's full syn is good stuff, i'm just not sure it's price justified yet over MC.

We're stretching the limits of the "full synthetic" labeling, so why shouldn't Wally take advantage, too?

I would stick with Motorcraft between those choices simply because of the great UOA's its showing for a $1.42 oil. The 5w30 Motorcaft has a good additive package and probably is a group 2+ at least since they are now adding "hydrocracked/synthetic" to the label. This wording is not found on the MC 10w30. Your daughter's interest and wisdom is impressive and I hope this doesn't leave her feeling excluded from the oil changing process.

Thanks for the responses. She got to do her part in the oil change. I poured a quart at a time into an empty container and she poured that in. I'll listen to her next time and get the MC.Great kid that's into cars, fishing, NASCAR (Sterling Marlin), baseball and she's a cheerleader.

One other question. The oil I drained only had 750 miles (factory fill) on it. Am leaving on vacation and will be putting a lot of miles on the car and still believe in first oil change should be done in first 1,000 miles.The oil was black as coal. Is this normal for such a low number of miles or does it matter. My favorite sport is basketball. My dad forgot to tell that. I made the school team. Thanks for being on my side instead of my Dads side because of the oil he picked. Lindsey.

Well, the oil being dark could be caused by a few different things, wear is usually high during break-in so thats one, if you drive in short trips the oil gets dirtier quicker, also most break-in oils come with a good dose of moly so they are usually darker to start with. Most manufacturers recommend leaving the factory fill oil for a while before switching to your own choice of oil and quite a few people agree with this, but then there is the whole set of people who think changing it out as soon as possible is best to let all the initial wear metals out. I wouldn't worry about the color too much....

Lindsey: congratulations on making the school team! make sure daddy gets the MC next time
smile.gif

A future GEARHEAD for sure, nice to see
worshippy.gif

quote:

Originally posted by farrarfan1:
my 9 year old daughter Lindsey loaded 5 quarts.... My daughter said no, we should stick with what the guys said on the website (BITOG)... and besides the big jug is too heavy for her to pour the oil into the engine. That's her job on oil change day.

quote:

Originally posted by farrarfan1:
Walmart finally got a shipment of Motorcraft 5w30 in. As my 9 year old daughter Lindsey loaded 5 quarts into the nasket I found the Super Tech ST16 filter but then I was drawn to the big grey jugs of Super Tech 5w30 full synthetic sitting so seductively under the $11.88 smiley face sign.Some quick foot stomping math told me the difference in price was $4.78 between the two. That's barely a meal at Mcdonalds.My daughter said no, we should stick with what the guys said on the website (BITOG) and besides the big jug is too heavy for her to pour the oil into the engine. That's her job on oil change day. Anyway I won.Even helped her put the MC back on the shelves.The question I have is: the label says formulated using "100% synthetic base oils and a high performance additive system." What exactly does this mean and do I owe my daughter and several members on this forum an appology? I long for the pre BITOG days when it was Fram/Valvoline for the Blazer and Motorcraft/Motorcraft for the Grand Marquis.
worshippy.gif

hahhhaha. nice post.. this is cool!
I am a Supertech user for 2 1/2 years and my 1999 Hyundai Tiburon is top knotch.. i drive it to **** too.. the suptertech oil filters is really good too.

Having purchased several news cars and carefully monitoring the oil color myself one each one, I am puzzled about the oil being "black as coal" on so few miles. I have never observed this on a new engine, or heard of it.

If I observed this on my car, I would take it to the dealer for a check-up before a trip. I am no mechanic, but it sounds like it is running too rich, or there is excessive ring leakage.

SWS

quote:

stick with what the guys said on the website (BITOG) and besides the big jug is too heavy for her to pour the oil into the engine

A smart young lady who wants to participate in oil changes ... and you discouraged her
confused.gif

Nobody here really knows what is in the WalMart jug, probably the lowest cost Group III oil and additive package they could get away with.

I would stick with the Motorcraft product of the two.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back