Dad is looking for a new truck

If your dad wants the truck to last over 200,000 miles you would have to be confident that any engine with a variable displacement system such as Chevy’s AFM or equivalent can make it. I just put out another thread asking folks if anyone has achieved that. Stay tuned.
Dumb question: if the AFM craps out and takes out a cam and some lifters... can't you just replace the cam and lifters? I believe the head(s) have to come off, so no small job. BUT it's cheaper than a new truck.

You can keep anything going... if you keep repairing it. So what's the definition / requirement here? 200k without a repair? no repair over a grand? no compilation of repairs over 10k? And what is a repair anyhow? Anything not on the maintenance schedule? or does it exclude "expected" things like shocks, maybe a caliper or two, ...?

Dumb question: if the AFM craps out and takes out a cam and some lifters... can't you just replace the cam and lifters? I believe the head(s) have to come off, so no small job. BUT it's cheaper than a new truck.

You can keep anything going... if you keep repairing it. So what's the definition / requirement here? 200k without a repair? no repair over a grand? no compilation of repairs over 10k? And what is a repair anyhow? Anything not on the maintenance schedule? or does it exclude "expected" things like shocks, maybe a caliper or two, ...?
Good post. I just got to 215,000 miles on my Chev 6.0. The only work done on the engine was new spark plugs. That’s it and that’s what the standard should be If I was to recommend it to anyone. The rest of the stuff such as you mentioned I would say are OK for maintenance. An extra bonus is if the transmission lasted for 200,000 miles and so far my 6L90 has.

I find it disheartening to hear stories of cams and lifters, timing chains etc requiring replacement prior to 200,000 miles. Obviously the original owner very rarely takes a vehicle to 200,000 but I still think the auto industry should have an obligation to build them to last that long and I can’t recommend any truck that can’t do that. :)

Last edited:
I rent lots of vehicles and even the expensive sedans/SUV’s are going to displays that sit high and don’t blend in. And I’m sorry but if you are thrilled by a company that puts in an over sized screen for the “wow” factor … with no consideration for driver safety, (eyes not on road) … well that’s a bad idea …

27E9EF58-6282-4FF3-A164-2DB39F41B456.jpeg

I rent lots of vehicles and even the expensive sedans/SUV’s are going to displays that sit high and don’t blend in. And I’m sorry but if you are thrilled by a company that puts in an over sized screen for the “wow” factor … with no consideration for driver safety, (eyes not on road) … well that’s a bad idea …

View attachment 64912
The biggest issues are cellphones-not these screens. Yes-states have" don't talk on your cellphone while your driving," unless it's hands free. As somebody who has traveled all over the U.S.-these laws are widely ignored. With all due respect-in your state it's excessive speed with vehicles weighing 2 -1/2 tons going down the highway-as if there was no speed limit.

View attachment 64912
Unfortunately most manufacturers are going to the big screens now, in an attempt to showcase how "luxurious" they are. As if a big screen is what constitutes luxury nowadays instead of materials and craftsmanship. Effin stupid.

For a 1/2 ton, the outgoing Tundra will be your most reliable but most dated option.

GM's 6.2 would be my engine of choice if you want a NA V8. It is the most powerful and arguably, most efficient powertrain in the segment for a NA V8. It does require premium for maximum performance though.

If you want an inexpensive sedan with an open bed, then the Ram 1500 will be your best choice. That is what I have. It has excellent ride quality due to the rear coils and a dated, but decent powertrain. It will also be the least expensive option of the Big 3.

I still think the answer depends heavily on how much he realistically expects to tow. I'd buy an F150 if i was going to buy a full size "half ton" for towing, but I'd also buy an eco boost and the max tow package and not a 5.0.

If 5000 lbs would do my towing requirements - Id be looking pretty heavily at a Ridgeline based on the stated requirements.

If 7500 lbs would do it - I'd be looking at the Ranger

Over 7500 and no Turbo 6 - which everyone I thought looked best and offered the features i wanted.

RE: the big screens... give them a chance, I did not think i would, but I actually kind of like it in the Escape.

A 6.2 max tow half ton from GM if he isnt towing a lot in terms of frequency and weight. The 6.6 gas GM should be quite good in terms of quality. Ford has great HDs too!

The best advice is probably to just wait 6+ months and have many more choices and maybe even incentives in the market again.
Someone say 6.6 ? :D

41DFA19C-F848-4B75-A4A3-2ECFBAEEE933.jpeg

This is a truck interior - other wise you are buying a car with a bed.
c10 interior.jpg

An I wouldn't even have carpet. Rubber hose it out floor.

I used to swear by my Tundra V8 cause other than reg maintenence Ive never put a wrench on it.
That was until this spring when I had to replace my valve cover gaskets costing $36 and 1hr by myself.
I have just under 400k miles so far & never burned a drop of oil.
My 6th Toy, owned over 200 vehicles total.
I'd never consider buying anything but a Toy after owning them. Remarkably built machines to say the least!

This is a truck interior - other wise you are buying a car with a bed.
View attachment 75247

An I wouldn't even have carpet. Rubber hose it out floor.
I had a 72 Chevy Custom Deluxe for yrs. One of only a couple I saw with lots of factory options including ps, pb, a/c, am/fm,carpet, tinted glass, tilt steering wheel too so mine was pretty loaded. Light blue/white with red/white/blue seats. White leather had scroll on seat the door panels had the scroll too it was a nice truck.

Back