D ring hitch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tempted to get one for my truck, but am clueless about brands. Most seem to lack a rating; at best I see 10k rating. Yet most recommend a 30k recovery strap.

I'm not looking to go off-roading, just trying to be prepared.

[i know I'm looking for a strap minus hooks, just the sewn in loops; got that bit understood. Need rear attach point for the truck.]

What works well for myself (and many others who go off roading) is just put the looped end of the tow strap through a hitch pin.

If you want a D-ring slide in one, the Harbor Freight d-ring hitch works well.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
What works well for myself (and many others who go off roading) is just put the looped end of the tow strap through a hitch pin.

If you want a D-ring slide in one, the Harbor Freight d-ring hitch works well.

X2.

I always have a hitch pin for this reason.

D-rings look tough, but are only as strong as the hitch pin anyway.

Using just the hitch pin works fine with smaller straps, not so much with larger straps.

I have one like this, they're available pretty much anywhere that sells hitch accessories. Home Depot, Lowe's, Tractor Supply (or any farm/fleet type store), just to name a few. I think I've even seen them at Walmart.

rugged-ridge-hitch2-11234_01-sk_1326.jpg

I carry one similar to the picture that KD0AXS posted. Picked mine up at Fleet Farm ("the Man's Mall"). Sure does make getting the loop attached easier than on the hitch pin. Just gets carried in my "Winter Survival Kit", along with the tow strap and jumper cables...

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Using just the hitch pin works fine with smaller straps, not so much with larger straps.

I have one like this, they're available pretty much anywhere that sells hitch accessories. Home Depot, Lowe's, Tractor Supply (or any farm/fleet type store), just to name a few. I think I've even seen them at Walmart.

rugged-ridge-hitch2-11234_01-sk_1326.jpg

all the big trucks have those up here. my tow rope is 40000 pounds so it has thick loops. I use my front factory hooks or my bumper mounted 2" trailer ball. Works every time.

I was planning on ordering one from Amazon, don't make it into Tractor Supply all that often.

Read conflicting reports about the HF one. It's $10 (plus a drive); Amazon has for $23 and up. Reviews are kinda all over the place, poor fit, made out of country, etc.

Still have to pick a strap, but I'm guessing any "quality" 30k recovery strap (with sewn loops) will work.

Trying to keep this reasonably priced, as with any luck I'll never use it.

I carry one from tractor supply in the Jeep. Works just fine, seems beefy enough. I carry a 20' 20k (2" wide) strap in the Jeep (and will probably pick up a beefier 30 footer at some point). I've also just looped the strap through the chain spots on my hitch (they're big enough to do it easily) for light pulls when I didn't want to dig the d-ring insert out.

I find I do more pulling with the front hooks anyway though, the extra visibility towards what I'm pulling is often helpful.

I had a large clevis mounted on a regular hitch to slide into my front and rear receivers.

Last edited:
I too like the idea of just using the hitch pin. Ultimately the D ring hitch will only be as strong as that.

Last year I made the mistake of wrapping the strap around my draw bar and ball hitch. There is no way it could have snapped the ball off because it was so tight around the bar and it had plenty of slack on the section going over the ball. It made the strap too tight and I had to cut it off to remove it. I bought a 10,000 pounder at mendars with their rebate special. It has the loops too. Should be good enough just in case this winter.

Odds are with your truck with snow tires, that you will be pulling other cars out of the snowbank. I was given a light duty tow strap with hooks on it and its much easier to find some hole in the frame of a car that you can put the hook into. I've pulled out quite a few cars over the years with it just with the Tracker. Maybe get a hooked one for pulling cars and the HD looped for rescuing your truck.

Walmart right now has a Reese with a ring, but the ring is not a clevis(?) version--just a ring, so I'd I'd need a clevis. $26 and it swivels all around.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reese-Vehicle-Recovery-Ring/36019048

I talked with a coworker, and he said the problem with using the hitch pin is getting the strap into the receiver in the first place--a thick strap won't go in real well.

But just getting a drawbar and a large ring, I like that idea. I'll have to think about that.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Odds are with your truck with snow tires, that you will be pulling other cars out of the snowbank. I was given a light duty tow strap with hooks on it and its much easier to find some hole in the frame of a car that you can put the hook into. I've pulled out quite a few cars over the years with it just with the Tracker. Maybe get a hooked one for pulling cars and the HD looped for rescuing your truck.

Yep, my thought too. A few months before I got said truck friends of ours mired their van in the driveway next to us. Last winter I had to give someone a tug in the driveway even closer; easy enough to use the front hooks and a cheap tow strap. I know it will happen again.

I have a cheap tow strap with hooks; that should be sufficent for most duty. Most vehicles just need a light tug. I do want to get a proper recovery strap, if nothing else so I can have that much more length. Different jobs, different needs.

Try here: https://www.google.com/search?q=receiver+tow+hook&newwindow=1&safe=off&biw=1280&bih=631&tbm=isch&imgil=JKAttHCSfAgEjM%253A%253Bm3SXqHNQUHYu-M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.autoaccessoriesgarage.com%25252FTowing-Hitches%25252FReese-Receiver-Mount-Tow-Hook&source=iu&pf=m&fir=JKAttHCSfAgEjM%253A%252Cm3SXqHNQUHYu-M%252C_&usg=__uwwNqrVBwumxzBcMQYUpVnbJMp8%3D&ved=0CE4Qyjc&ei=5hGVVInRMYquogT_pIKACw#imgdii=_

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back