Czech tire company, Brazilian made

I bought a 06 Acura TL and the tires on it were bald, so I went searching for a cheap non Chinese made tire that would satisfy my needs. I found these Barum Bravuris 5HM at Discount for $84.00 a piece for the 235/35/17 size I needed. They had a 10% off sale going on so the out the door price was $396.
I bought Barum tires in the past, I think it was back in 2007 when Discount just started stocking them. It looks like they are made in many different Continental factories around the world these days.

Attachments

• 89999E10-460B-4F6F-90E1-C2B37BBA6965.jpeg
    89999E10-460B-4F6F-90E1-C2B37BBA6965.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 18
You sure on that tire size? Seems like a really oddball size and when I look up 2006 Acura TLs on the tire sites it shows 235 45 r17s. Plenty of good options from mainline brands in that size. Discount will price match as well, find that discount tire is rarely the cheapest option but they will price match pretty much anyone.

Barum was bought by Continental. It is now one of the brands so it may be build anywhere in Continental universe.

Krzyś
The same can be said for Bridgestone & Firestone and the Sumitomo Rubber Industry brands(Dunlop Japan/Goodyear Japan, Falken, Aspen/Doral/Ohtsu).

Michelin has their own plants but Hankook was used to make some of their one-offs for Costco. They recently bought a Indonesian tire maker for their 3rd tier tire production. That said, Michelin makes their own line at their plants, but BFG/Uniroyal US are made at former BFG plants or in Mexico/Indonesia.

like matador in nearby slovakia

Yea-it's mazing how some will go out of their way to avoid Chinese Tires-when some other almost third world country is OK.

Interesting thought processes....

Yea-it's mazing how some will go out of their way to avoid Chinese Tires-when some other almost third world country is OK.

Interesting thought processes....
So which one is almost third world country, the Czech Republic or Slovakia?

The same can be said for Bridgestone & Firestone and the Sumitomo Rubber Industry brands(Dunlop Japan/Goodyear Japan, Falken, Aspen/Doral/Ohtsu).

Michelin has their own plants but Hankook was used to make some of their one-offs for Costco. They recently bought a Indonesian tire maker for their 3rd tier tire production. That said, Michelin makes their own line at their plants, but BFG/Uniroyal US are made at former BFG plants or in Mexico/Indonesia.
You are correct. Michelin uses an expensive and proprietary process to make Michelin brand tires. This is a very high quality process with higher costs, resulting in higher prices.

All of Michelin's other brands are made in their other plants, using conventional and more cost effective manufacturing processes. This is why these tires are lower priced.

All of Michelin's other brands are made in their other plants, using conventional and more cost effective manufacturing processes. This is why these tires are lower priced.
not always - I’ve seen BFGoodrich tires with Michelin-native plant DOT codes(the first two digits). But many of their 2nd/3rd tier tires are made in former Uniroyal-Goodrich Tire plants in the southern US or by an Michelin affiliate in China/Indonesia or Hankook in Korea.

The early batches of the Defender series were made by Michelin Mexico, and had issues with treadwear. The later ones were US/British/Italian.

Back