CZ-97B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically it is an upscaled cz75 with a few tweaks. They are real similar in size to the current large framed EAA witness pistols in feel. Good low bore axis and good ergos for a large metal framed pistol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Basically it is an upscaled cz75 with a few tweaks. They are real similar in size to the current large framed EAA witness pistols in feel. Good low bore axis and good ergos for a large metal framed pistol.

Yeah, that's what I read. Beautiful piece!

If you are looking at one of these for a plinking/range gun, I will say I like one thing about the EAA Witness line over the CZ. And that is they sell conversion kits that allow you to shoot 22lr, 9mm, 38 super, 40 S&W, and 10mm in addition to the 45acp. They are all built on the same platform.

I have found CZ products to be superior to products by EAA, I think that CZ produces a great product for the money. I will say my experience is based on a EAA product 10 years ago.

I would love to have one but CZ's are hard to find locally. I'm sure the 97 would be a great shooter.

I absolutely love the looks of it...and the fact that the slide rides inside the frame rails.

I also like all the options it gives you - SA/DA, with a safety, carry cocked & locked or DA, etc.

Originally Posted By: cdeason
I have found CZ products to be superior to products by EAA, I think that CZ produces a great product for the money. I will say my experience is based on a EAA product 10 years ago.

Tanfoglio/EAA standard witness products are simplified and less refined. That is why I only mention their diverse caliber conversion as a plus for a range gun. When selecting a duty or defense pistol, the CZ is better built. That being said, some of the higher end Witness guns are sweet shooters. However, I preferred the feel of the older small frame 9mm/40S&W frames to the one size fits all frame they now use.

I too have been considering a CZ 97-BD for a long time. I just really wish the dust cover had a rail on it. If I am going buy a gun that large and heavy, I really want to be able to attach a light to it! A .45 ACP SP-01 from CZ would be ideal, I would buy one ASAP if they made it!

One very important thing to note is that CZ updated the design of the model 97 recently, I believe in 2013 or 2014. The pistol now has a different feed ramp and ejector, which supposedly improves the feeding of hollow point ammunition and increases the reliability of the pistol overall. I would not buy a CZ 97 used for that very reason. Make sure the gun is new and came from the CZ plant recently if you can.

Originally Posted By: AMC
I too have been considering a CZ 97-BD for a long time. I just really wish the dust cover had a rail on it. If I am going buy a gun that large and heavy, I really want to be able to attach a light to it! A .45 ACP SP-01 from CZ would be ideal, I would buy one ASAP if they made it!

One very important thing to note is that CZ updated the design of the model 97 recently, I believe in 2013 or 2014. The pistol now has a different feed ramp and ejector, which supposedly improves the feeding of hollow point ammunition and increases the reliability of the pistol overall. I would not buy a CZ 97 used for that very reason. Make sure the gun is new and came from the CZ plant recently if you can.

Funny... My sentiments almost exactly. I had been looking at the SP-01 in a search for an all-steel, 9mm pistol for target shooting and plinking. I ended up going with a new Browning Hi-Power, as I talked about in the other thread. But, during the course of my research, I came across the 97, and I just think it's a bad-a** gun. Apparently the Czechs have good taste (beautiful women too, but that's another subject).

Anyway, I thought exactly the same thing - that the SP-01 would make a wonderful home defense pistol. Almost 20 rounds of capacity, with the capability to mount a flashlight. That was one of the things I didn't like about the HiPo - no provision for a light. But, eventually, the character and history and intrinsic substance of the Hi-Power won me over.

Why CZ didn't include a rail on the 97 is beyond me.

We think a lot alike!

My CZ P-01 (a smaller, alloy framed SP-01) is my primary home defense pistol. I slap the big 19 round SP-01 mag in it and attach a streamlight TRL-2 to the rail. The light on the dust cover perfectly balances out the heavy 19 round mag that protrudes from the grip and I love it!

I too like the Browning Hi-power but it is not in the same league as the CZ-75 IMO. I have experience with both of them and have this to say: They are both dated designs but the 75 is better. The CZ is more ergonomic, more reliable, more durable, holds more ammo and to me, looks a little better. The hammer and trigger of the high power just look a little sloppy the way they "dangle" off the frame IMO.

If I wanted an all steel 9mm for target shooting and just collectability, I would get the all stainless CZ 75 and put some fancy grips on it and then get a beautiful leather holster for it. That is just me though. The hi-power does pretty much all the same things.

Yeah, there are lots of pistols that are more advanced than the Hi-Power in ergonomics and function. It's an old design. But I've just always wanted one. It's always held a certain mystique for me since I was a kid and first heard the name. I thought to myself, "hmm... A Hi-Power... that is just an awesome name for a pistol! I wonder why they call it that. It must be really powerful! I want one!"

I like big-bore, powerful machines, hardware, equipment, tools, motorcycles, engines, cars, you name it. Usually, in my opinion, too much is just enough!

Wow, I digressed a bit there didn't I.

If it's anything like any other CZ, I'm sure it'll be a fine piece. I have a polymer P-09 (essentially, the updated version of the SP-01 Phantom), and it's a fine shooter. Mine's in 9mm, and you can get it chambered in .40 S&W. I don't think you can get it in .45ACP. A friend of mine has an alloy CZ 75 PCR D and it, too, is a really fine piece. Smaller and more compact than the normal 75...the same size as the P-01 but without the rail. We both shoot the P-09 better, but the smaller PCR is sweet as well.

You just can't go wrong with a CZ.

For added versatility you can get a .22 LR conversion kit for CZ 75 and 85. Not cheap but nevertheless.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-kadet-adapter-ii-22-lr-adj-sights-10-rd-mags-will-fit-omega-system/

cz-usa-cz-75-kadet-adapter-500x333.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back