Cylinder scuffing with pictures

Hello Forum experts! I was hoping for some opinions on oil additives... I have a mercedes m157 engine (5.5liter bi-turbo) in my short commute, daily driven ride. I bought the car with 50k miles with fresh dealer oil. at 55k i changed the oil and put a cheapo boroscope into cyl 5 (known to be the first cylinder to show wear) and as you can see there is some minor scuffing. At 55k (1 year later) I did a 2nd oil change. again I did the boroscope and got the 2nd image with notably more piston scuff. I was running Liqui Molly 5w40 leichtlauf. I also ran a mild tune for 4k of the 5k miles. I've now pulled the tune and am sending a sample to blackstone. I'm not looking for magic but if an additive could slow down the rate of damage I'd like to try. I'm interested in the Liqui-moly Ceratec or MoS2. I'm in a colder climate (ny state) and have read that some suspect (mostly porsche owners that seem to be having a cylinder scoring problem) that when cold, the piston warms and expands faster than the aluminum cylinder and can cause this. I'd welcome any thoughts...Thanks for reading!

at 50k.jpg

at 55k.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This doesn't seem to be a lubrication problem, instead a design/engineering problem. Do you know if anyone else has had success slowing down or preventing the scuffing with lubricants or additives?

You bought the car used not knowing how it was operated? Tune? and looking to "some how" reverse the problem? I see bore polishing and a "polished? bore doesn't hold oil which leads to scuffing. Other more qualified industry professionals will chime in .

1) Don't womp on it cold

2) Run a better oil - whatever that may be.

NO additives!

Not mentioned if you have high oil consumption or Unusual engine noise?

How bad does this need to get before it causes a performance or oil burning issue? I would think pretty bad.

I agree if the #5 cylinder is common to have this issue, its likely the nature of the beast. find out what other people have been doing successfully to control it and follow their advice. I also agree that no additive will fix or slow down this problem. Maybe oil viscosity.

IMHO unless you want to get into a costly repair, use a quality synthetic oil and filter, ditch any potion in a bottle, and do a reasonable OCI. Ride it till it shows some serious issues in performance. Then reassess.

I don't think this is a lubrication issue or a tune issue - I'd put tune back on and enjoy the vehicle/extra power. Can always try a different oil and/or additive if that makes you sleep better at night. Give the Ceratec a whirl.

Thanks everyone for all your input! Consensus from the w212 amg forums is that these engines do burn a little oil, mine used less than 1 quart in 5,400 miles, so I'm doing well there ...I think. No piston slap or other funny noises, I always let the oil get up to the recommended 175 degrees before getting on the gas, and I thought the Liqui-moly 5w-40 leichtleuf was top shelf stuff but I'd love some suggestions for a better oil for my next change. I'm not looking to reverse damage done or some other sort of magic, just hoping to slow down the wear a bit if possible.

Thanks everyone for all your input! Consensus from the w212 amg forums is that these engines do burn a little oil, mine used less than 1 quart in 5,400 miles, so I'm doing well there ...I think. No piston slap or other funny noises, I always let the oil get up to the recommended 175 degrees before getting on the gas, and I thought the Liqui-moly 5w-40 leichtleuf was top shelf stuff but I'd love some suggestions for a better oil for my next change. I'm not looking to reverse damage done or some other sort of magic, just hoping to slow down the wear a bit if possible.

1 qt in 5400 miles is really quite decent.

Just check it regularly and add when needed.

Heck my lady's 98 Camry burns through 1.5 qts on certain oils through 3k miles.

I honestly don't think any other oil is going to make any difference if they have the same MB approvals. If you want to stick with LM, could try the Molygen 5W40 which has moly and tungsten for a friction modifier or just stay with the LLHT and add Ceratec and alternate with MoS2. M1 0W40 is v. popular here for Euro cars calling for those approvals. What do the folks on the MB forums use? What did you shop think/recommend?

Why not stop looking, use the recommended oil, and stop listening to people about cylinder #5 and all that? I think you are creating a problem that isn’t there. This happens all the time, people read things on the internet and think it has to mean they have the problem too. You could have the engine disassembled by the dealer and have them do a report. Or just enjoy while you aren’t having oil burning or other issues. I would just use the right oil, maybe buy it at the dealer, and stop thinking about it.

Go with Motul X-Max 0w-40 for that Twin Turbo. A 5400-mile oil burn is NOTHING compared to my X6M, which drinks a quart every 1600 miles. Yes, I need valve stem seals....ugh.

I don;t see anything. But if you insist, who am I to argue? Maybe some of the Eastern European nano-ceramic oil additive could cure what ails you? Spend enough money on snake oil and it should convince you it is working, right?

Back