(Cycling) in the bleak midwinter

We haven't got much snow but this is how I ride through it. The only thing that gets me is the wind, it snakes around in weird ways along my commute.

Excellent.

I am mostly motivated to ride my bike when the salt and snow is out. It's just satisfying knowing I'm rusting my $150 craislist beater bike rather than my expensive car. It also saves gas money, provides exercise, and is actually less stressful.

I wish Cycling was a more common form of transportation for Americans, regardless of location/climate. It would lessen road deterioration, reduce traffic, improve fitness, reduce cost of oil, etc. So many benefits, but it just does not have enough appeal. It does appeal to the greenie advocates, so why not the government push for more cycling?

Excellent.

I am mostly motivated to ride my bike when the salt and snow is out. It's just satisfying knowing I'm rusting my $150 craislist beater bike rather than my expensive car. It also saves gas money, provides exercise, and is actually less stressful.

I wish Cycling was a more common form of transportation for Americans, regardless of location/climate. It would lessen road deterioration, reduce traffic, improve fitness, reduce cost of oil, etc. So many benefits, but it just does not have enough appeal. It does appeal to the greenie advocates, so why not the government push for more cycling?
Yeah the winter bike is a cheapy from Goodwill, I think $125 it's been a while. All the reasons you list is why I'd rather ride during snow and inclement weather versus driving. The only thing I do differently if I had more snow rides I'd upgrade to a fat bike with bigger studded tires. The ruts is what really makes riding rough, fresh snow is pretty awesome though.

Most are of terrified of riding on the streets with cars. I don't blame them one bit. If there was more of emphasis on MUP's you'd see more riders, and typically cities that have dedicated MUP's you do see more riders. That's just what I've seen though. Kansas City doesn't have any MUP's and only a few short bike trails. If the weather is decent I am seeing more riders than when I first started 8 years ago.

Yeah the winter bike is a cheapy from Goodwill, I think $125 it's been a while. All the reasons you list is why I'd rather ride during snow and inclement weather versus driving. The only thing I do differently if I had more snow rides I'd upgrade to a fat bike with bigger studded tires. The ruts is what really makes riding rough, fresh snow is pretty awesome though.

Most are of terrified of riding on the streets with cars. I don't blame them one bit. If there was more of emphasis on MUP's you'd see more riders, and typically cities that have dedicated MUP's you do see more riders. That's just what I've seen though. Kansas City doesn't have any MUP's and only a few short bike trails. If the weather is decent I am seeing more riders than when I first started 8 years ago.
My last 2-1/2 years I rode to work in the winter. (Ran for many years, but carrying a change of clothes, lunch, and shower gear in my backpack was killing my back, so then I walked for a few years which took longer than I cared for. So finally I got a fat bike and got back to winter cycling.) I had a short section of major roadway that went under an overpass. Scary as anything on dark icy roads. Of course not long after I retired they built a beautiful new urban active transportation corridor that would have taken me right to work very safely. At least it's there for the young folks.

I'm fortunate to live very close to one of the first and still one of the best railroad rights-of-way turned bicycle path.... The Illinois Prairie Path. I can't use it to go to work but to some of the other places I go it is ideal. Unless it is wet or snow-covered, it is a nice ride even in winter. Unfortunately, there's a lot of snow there now so I probably won't be able to ride on it until March or so, depending on when it dries out.

I found that 20F was my typical limit, whether it was cycling or running. I think I made it down to 13F for cycling but the wind chill is brutal and tears up skin. on a good hard run, I could run in the 20s and eventually run shirtless after about 1.5 miles, comfortable, but the wind burn on my chest, face, and notably cheekbones, was pronounced. Didn’t care, loved it.

grocery bags around my socks were huge cold weather gains for cycling. CWG tech is much better now than it was when I rode.

thanks for those pics. I loved cycling so much, and also quite enjoyed the snow. Neither are really part of my life now. great to see it from the handlebars!

Back